Student Loans

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by SoxGirl0407, May 11, 2008.

1. SoxGirl0407

SoxGirl0407 UF CVM c/o 2012

Veterinary Student
    This may sound ridiculous, but how do I take out student loans?

I went to undergrad on scholarship and my parents covered room, board, books, etc so I didn't take loans. Now I have to take loans to go to vet school. I filled out the FAFSA already. Does the school just send me information or do I have to request it? Also, I know I can use loans to help with rent and living expenses and such, so do I just tell them how much I need or is there a set amount I get??

I'm really confused...:confused:

2. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    The way it works here (and I'd be surprised if it was different elsewhere), is that the school's Fin Aid Dept. will review your FAFSA application, and then prepare you with a financial aid package. This will include subsidized and unsubsidized federal loans, and maybe some school specific thing. Anyways, you figure out what you need and then just accept whatever you need from what was offered. It's unlikely that they won't offer enough to meet your living expenses + rent, but if so, I'd talk to them and I'm sure they'd be able to add on. Hope that helped...

3. SoxGirl0407

SoxGirl0407 UF CVM c/o 2012

Veterinary Student
  4. Chowdahead

Pre-Veterinary
    Heya SoxGirl0407 - I also found some great help online at this website. Have used them for all of my undergrad financing - easy process and good rates! http://www.studentloannetwork.com/

5. mediocriskid

mediocriskid Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a lender that offered the best benefits for a stafford and grad plus loan. Obviously I'm going for the lowest interest possible and no origination fee. I was looking at the AMA chase sponsored loan but I was told by my financial aid adviser at school that this was discontinued. Does anyone know if this is true? Any advice is appreciated. I have to pick a loan by monday.

Scott

6. quakk

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    hi!

the u.s. loan market was experiencing some, um, uncertainty over the last year.

i heard a guy from graduate leverage speak at a conference last year:
    http://graduateleverage.com/

i had a hard time getting my loans through them - my financial aid officer had some difficulty contacting them, then they withdrew their loan products due to the uncertainty in the market. i'm not sure how hard my fin aid officer tried, but their loan products appear to be back online. and the guy who gave the talk was impressive.

they have very competitive rates, as well.

cheers!

7. audreyhepburn

Veterinary Student
    I'm pretty sure because stafford and grad plus are both federal loans the rates and origination fees are fixed. Stafford has fixed interest around 6% and fees of 2.5%. Grad plus is fixed at 8.5% and fees of 3%.

This link will give you an at glance look at all of them http://salliemae.com/get_student_loan/find_student_loan/grad/compare/

I went with sallie mae because they are very well known and allow alot of repayment options. I don't know if there are some companies that will "pay" the origination fee for you, but I would be very cautious and be sure you are using a well-known and reputable company.

8. bclover

bclover UIUC-CVM Class of 2012
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    FYI- Stafford is fixed at 6.8%

9. projekt

projekt UGA c/o 2012
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I have heard/read some horror stories about Sallie Mae. I don't remember where, anymore. It's true they are very large, but I have heard about people's debt balooning after school because of fees and such. I would do extra research if they seemed to be the most attractive option on the front end.

10. VAgirl

VAgirl UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
  11. LucyLoo

LucyLoo LucyLoo
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Be sure to check out Chase Select Loans, I just got a loan at 6%. The only thing is you have to be working and have decent credit history. But it's worth a look.

12. campusvitals

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    So many companies are no longer underwriting them because the risk is higher than ever before due to the larger credit crisis.

Stick to the large providers as a lot of the small online shops are not reliable.