Student Organization

Started by EpicPharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EpicPharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I was recently looking at different student Organizations in pharmacy school. Two of the organizations caught my attention. APhA-ASP and SNPha. I wanted to know if anyone can elaborate on the difference between them?
 
I can elaborate in that they, along with all other school organizations, are a huge waste of time.

Take that time committment, find an internship, and do an awesome job. Use the internship as a spring board to setting up P4 rotations with people up the corporate food ladder, and they will find you a job at graduation THat is the best thing any pharmacy student can do today.

But yea **** that nonsense with the school groups
 
Hi,
I was recently looking at different student Organizations in pharmacy school. Two of the organizations caught my attention. APhA-ASP and SNPha. I wanted to know if anyone can elaborate on the difference between them?
One's mission statement includes the advancement of minorities in pharmacy, the other doesn't. Otherwise, they're both general cookie-cutter organizations with committees, events, and opportunities for you to take on a leadership role at local, state, and national levels.

I think involvement with organizations is important, but others may disagree (as evidenced above).

During my application process for residency, I had several people say that organization involvement was something they considered when reviewing candidates. They want to see that you can handle a full schedule that goes beyond the lecture hall.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One's mission statement includes the advancement of minorities in pharmacy, the other doesn't. Otherwise, they're both general cookie-cutter organizations with committees, events, and opportunities for you to take on a leadership role at local, state, and national levels.

I think involvement with organizations is important, but others may disagree (as evidenced above).

During my application process for residency, I had several people say that organization involvement was something they considered when reviewing candidates. They want to see that you can handle a full schedule that goes beyond the lecture hall.

I completely agree with B! I was a part of APhA-ASP at my school and I can honestly say that it was definitely beneficial for me in so many regards, not just limited to helping secure a residency position.
 
APhA-ASP is more broad reaching than SNPhA. I would definitely pick APhA over SNPhA; they have lot more clout at the national level and are more well known. Almost all colleges of pharmacy have an APhA-ASP chapter; not all have SNPhA chapters.
 
APhA-ASP is more broad reaching than SNPhA. I would definitely pick APhA over SNPhA; they have lot more clout at the national level and are more well known. Almost all colleges of pharmacy have an APhA-ASP chapter; not all have SNPhA chapters.
I would agree with this assessment. I had to go looking for a national version of SNPhA, and I wasn't very impressed with what I found. It's essentially a "me, too" organization.