Student Satisfaction Western U vs Roseman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllAboutSmiles7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to hear from current dental students of Roseman and Western U about their satisfaction with the program they chose and why they ended up choosing that school. This could be the curriculum set up, clinic, faculty, life in that city, extracurricular opportunities, opportunity to specialize, etc.
Thank you for any and all info!!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont go to either school but I am very familiar with both and had friends at both.
Western is located on the edge of LA county and there is plenty to do within an hour drive any direction.
The students take some classes with med students and my friends who went there didnt seem to mind it but would have liked it better without them. Overall though they seemed to like the school and didnt have much to say bad or great about it except that having no residencies there they didnt get as much exposure. However having other schools nearby like UCLA, USC, Loma Linda with specialties they could extern there and stuff if needed.

Roseman is in about the most suburb location you can get for a dental school. And to be honest there isnt much to do unless you are super into the mountains and hiking and rock climbing. Salt Lake city is within like 20 minutes though. The students seem to really like it ad it is pass/fail and there seems to be a lot of unity because of that and that there are a lot of times you work in groups. Some love the way courses are set up where you have a final every 2-4 weeks and some hate it. A couple of my friends I know there or went there had enough time to work at least part time on the side if not more.

Like western though there are no specialties to shadow or anything and the only other dental school close by (Utah) had only Peds as a specialty.

Not saying you cant specialize if you go to these schools, just saying thy dont have the residencies to hang out in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I dont go to either school but I am very familiar with both and had friends at both.
Western is located on the edge of LA county and there is plenty to do within an hour drive any direction.
The students take some classes with med students and my friends who went there didnt seem to mind it but would have liked it better without them. Overall though they seemed to like the school and didnt have much to say bad or great about it except that having no residencies there they didnt get as much exposure. However having other schools nearby like UCLA, USC, Loma Linda with specialties they could extern there and stuff if needed.

Roseman is in about the most suburb location you can get for a dental school. And to be honest there isnt much to do unless you are super into the mountains and hiking and rock climbing. Salt Lake city is within like 20 minutes though. The students seem to really like it ad it is pass/fail and there seems to be a lot of unity because of that and that there are a lot of times you work in groups. Some love the way courses are set up where you have a final every 2-4 weeks and some hate it. A couple of my friends I know there or went there had enough time to work at least part time on the side if not more.

Like western though there are no specialties to shadow or anything and the only other dental school close by (Utah) had only Peds as a specialty.

Not saying you cant specialize if you go to these schools, just saying thy dont have the residencies to hang out in.

Thanks for the info!
I'm a city girl from Seattle who enjoys the outdoors as well as night life. Would you say Roseman isn't into night life as much? I've never been to Utah so I'm not sure what it's like at all.
Having so much free time seems a little odd. Do they feel they're still getting a great education and feel ready to practice (ready as one can feel at least) and have no trouble passing the NBDE?

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be hard to get lots of replies on SDN for this question. One thing I'd recommend is calling admissions at each school to ask for the contact info of some students who would be willing to talk.

I did that with Michigan after I decided to go there, and now I already have some contacts at the school who I reach out to with questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I would love to hear from current dental students of Roseman and Western U about their satisfaction with the program they chose and why they ended up choosing that school. This could be the curriculum set up, clinic, faculty, life in that city, extracurricular opportunities, opportunity to specialize, etc.
I was in your situation last year,I had to make a decision between those two schools and I choose Roseman because I just had got a really good vibe from the school.As a D1 I would say the school is great,faculty are very helpful.for example I was having a hard time with one of my wax ups and one of the faculty members literally spent Saturday's and his days off to help me master it.As for nightlife it's honestly better then most expect,we go to Las Vegas a lot with other classmates.

Thanks for the info!
I'm a city girl from Seattle who enjoys the outdoors as well as night life. Would you say Roseman isn't into night life as much? I've never been to Utah so I'm not sure what it's like at all.
Having so much free time seems a little odd. Do they feel they're still getting a great education and feel ready to practice (ready as one can feel at least) and have no trouble passing the NBDE?

The person above me knows better as they go there, but your classmates decide what kind of social life you have haha.
But Downtown salt lake city is close and there is stuff to do, obviously not like Vegas or new york but they do stuff like concerts in the park with really big names and then there is sundance film festival etc.

And I think their pass rates are pretty good, they probably just cut out unnecessarily extra stuff.

I did that with Michigan after I decided to go there, and now I already have some contacts at the school who I reach out to with questions.[/QUOTE]

And I have to say the cost of living in roseman is much less then living in LA which I'm from

I was in your situation last year,I had to make a decision between those two schools and I choose Roseman because I just had got a really good vibe from the school.As a D1 I would say the school is great,faculty are very helpful.for example I was having a hard time with one of my wax ups and one of the faculty members literally spent Saturday's and his days off to help me master it.As for nightlife it's honestly better then most expect,we go to Las Vegas a lot with other classmates.
But she can go to Vegas from Pomona....

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the info!
night life is very minimal in Utah. Utah is majority mormons and they don't drink or smoke so less bars and clubs there