Student Survey!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyfool

SUNY Opt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Optometry students:
Please indicate how many hours you spend studying per day or per week. Is it possible to get my 7hr sleep every night? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh my goodness yes....it all depends how intense you are about being the "top" of the class. If you are one of those who HAS to be at the top it might be hard. i know my class is insane and EVERYONE does amazing all the time, but we have been told we are the highest scoring class to go to SCCO ever...so I think we are different. I mean at SCCO 90s+ is an A and 80s are Bs last quarter I got 3As and 2Bs so I was pretty happy with that...this quarter looks like I will do bout the same. I dont spend every waking hour studying and I do relax and have a good time. If you understand how much studying it takes for you to retain information then you will be able to cope at Opt. School...I would say I study about 5-6hrs for each test we have...I cant put a number on "weeks" because it varies depending on tests etc.

here is a copy of an email i sent my classmates for last seesmter. this semester i realized i had to cut my sleeping time down to 6-7 hour per night instead of 8+ - so sad. time is a hard thing to estimate because it really does depend on your study style. i am horibble at cramming - really bad! so i need to spend a lot more time with material then most of my classmates.

i just wanted to give you all a heads up as to how much time you really
will have once classes get into full swing.

total hours per week : 168
minus sleeping: (56)
eating/food prep (10)
hygiene (7)
class time: (18)
clinic practice time: (10)
study time : (25)
email/surfing the web: (7)

so that leaves you with 35 hours of "free time" but...
are you in a relationship? (18)
do you commute? (10)
hobbies? (?)
exercise? (?)
watch tv? (?)
family drama? (?)

so as you can see, your time is going to be your biggest commodity. you
will have the time to have fun and be involved, just chose wisely.

here is a copy of an email i sent my classmates for last seesmter. this semester i realized i had to cut my sleeping time down to 6-7 hour per night instead of 8+ - so sad. time is a hard thing to estimate because it really does depend on your study style. i am horibble at cramming - really bad! so i need to spend a lot more time with material then most of my classmates.

i just wanted to give you all a heads up as to how much time you really
will have once classes get into full swing.

total hours per week : 168
minus sleeping: (56)
eating/food prep (10)
hygiene (7)
class time: (18)
clinic practice time: (10)
study time : (25)
email/surfing the web: (7)

so that leaves you with 35 hours of "free time" but...
are you in a relationship? (18)
do you commute? (10)
hobbies? (?)
exercise? (?)
watch tv? (?)
family drama? (?)

so as you can see, your time is going to be your biggest commodity. you
will have the time to have fun and be involved, just chose wisely.

exactly what I was looking for. much appreciated!