Students ~30 years and older

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optomoption

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only 27years old, but have been thinking of returning to school to obtain a Science degree (3-4years) and then go on to Optometry school (4years). I'll be about 35 when I finish and have a bit of debt. I'm doing this as part of a complete career change. I'm looking to get into a profession where I actually help people and make a difference in someones life.

Does anybody have any advice they can give me on whether this is a good idea or not?

If anyone is or has been in the same situation, it would be great to hear about your experiences. I just want to be sure I'm not completely crazy for considering this.

Many Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You're definitely crazy, but probably in a good way. (Also, I would say more than a bit of debt.) Anyways, I would make sure to attend an undergraduate school with an affiliation agreement with an optometry school (or even two). This allows you to get you BA or BS in three years and jump right into optometry school. It'll save you a little time and money. There are also some scholarships out there for "nontraditional" students and people returning to school for a dramatic career change. If you're going to do this, I would be sure to look into whatever resources are available to you.

I'm only 27years old, but have been thinking of returning to school to obtain a Science degree (3-4years) and then go on to Optometry school (4years). I'll be about 35 when I finish and have a bit of debt. I'm doing this as part of a complete career change. I'm looking to get into a profession where I actually help people and make a difference in someones life.

well, in 8 years you're going to be 35 anyway.. would you rather be what you are now? or be an optometrist? or any profession for that matter...though in this case, since you are worried about time invested...OD is a faster route than say an MD/DO. You may want to consider what the previous poster wrote...that there are accelerated BS/OD programs that may save you some time and money. Other professions must also have something similar to this as well. You may want to weigh your options with all similar-type professions (ie dentistry, podiatry, pharmacy..etc) to see what the time options might be. Have you ever considered Physician Assistant? its only a 2 year program, and at some programs an accelerated BS degree in addition to the PA studies.

Though, if you're set on eyes...and concerned with time...do an OD over an OMD for sure.

I have a student in my class in his 60s. its been his lifelong dream...and now hes completing it. never too late

Members don't see this ad :)

Does anybody have any advice they can give me on whether this is a good idea or not?

If anyone is or has been in the same situation, it would be great to hear about your experiences. I just want to be sure I'm not completely crazy for considering this.

I'm a non-traditional student. Do you already have a BA in something else? If you do, then just go back for the pre-req's. I was a non-science major and only had one biology class completed, so it took me 3 full semesters and 2 summer terms (a year and a half) to complete my pre-req's. There are also some schools that don't require a BA/BS - so that's another option if you don't have yours. I know NOVA is one of the schools that offers the joint Bachelors/OD program...but I'm sure there are others. That's another good option if you don't have yours yet.

Also, I guess it depends on the state. I'm doing my pre-req's in Texas and there is NOTHING in terms of financing for going back to school...but that's because I am post-bacc and have a bachelor's already. All I could take out were loans (I guess that counts as financing - but it totally sucks!) - nothing was available for scholarships or grants. I've had to take out about $30k for the last year and a half for tuition and living expenses.

You could look into military scholarships as well - they will often pay for you to go to undergrad as well as the OD...but I'm not sure what age restrictions they have on that (they would want to invest in people who are most likely to make their careers in the service). They definitely have lots of scholarships for the OD, but every branch has a different program so you'd need to talk to a recruiter for each.

Your age won't likely be a significant factor in your admission to an OD program. It will come up during interviews since it will set you apart from the "average" applicant, but it won't be something that admission committees will frown upon. In fact, I'd say most admissions committees try to intentionally take some older students in the class to provide some balance. There were about 6 people over 30 in my class.

The bigger question is, do you want to start on a very long, very expensive journey that will end at age 35 or so and may not be exactly what you think it is? As another poster already pointed out, you might also be considering other health professions. It's no secret that I believe, along with many other practicing ODs, that there are much more solid health care careers to be in right now. In evaluating professions, don't look at what the schools tell you, what the professional organizations tell you, or what any single practitioner tells you. Go talk to as many practitioners as you can. Avoid the temptation to walk into only the settings you are interested in. If you're interested in PP optometry, great - go talk to some PP docs. Also consider the situation of the docs you speak with and relate that back to your question. If you ask an established, highly-successful OD about his/her opinion of the oversupply issue, the response will likely be less negative than the 2010 grad who has yet to find anything more than a string of PT commercial positions paying 40/hr. Consider that, as a new OD, you will very likely, almost certainly have to relocate from where you are now. At 25 or 26, that might not be as big of a problem than it would be at 35 or older when things tend to be a little more settled with family/kids/etc. Realize that most graduates of OD programs these days are going into commercial optometry and it's not by choice. Talk to younger, recent grad ODs and get their opinions. If you turn a blind eye to what's out there, you may be very disappointed with what you end up with after you graduate.

Unfortunately, optometry is one of the health professions that likes to hide its "dirty laundry" from the public and from prospective applicants. When large groups of ODs get together to discuss the state of optometry, either on forums or in person, the debate often gets very heated and invariably ends in people dumping on all the new schools cranking out thousands of excess ODs, the AOA's lack of determination in pushing the real issues instead of wasting time & money on nonsense, dead-end roads like optometric board certification. For some reason, though, here on this forum, where many of the prospective applicants come to learn about optometry, there's only a few ODs presenting the darker side of optometry right now.

It's up to applicants to decide for themselves, but if there were a "secret pole" of practicing ODs asking about whether there's a serious oversupply issue right now, the results would almost certainly come out rather unanimous. Applicants need to ask themselves if they really want to enter a profession that doesn't really need them. Attorneys are facing an oversupply issue that's even worse than optometry. Not all professions are on level playing fields. Look at what you want out of your profession. Then look at your options and decide whether your chosen profession can provide what you're looking for. It it is not likely to do so, I'd suggest looking at other options.

Last edited:
You're definitely crazy, but probably in a good way. (Also, I would say more than a bit of debt.) Anyways, I would make sure to attend an undergraduate school with an affiliation agreement with an optometry school (or even two). This allows you to get you BA or BS in three years and jump right into optometry school. It'll save you a little time and money. There are also some scholarships out there for "nontraditional" students and people returning to school for a dramatic career change. If you're going to do this, I would be sure to look into whatever resources are available to you.

I hope that's crazy in a good way, lol. Thanks for the advice. I probably should mention that I am on the Canadian side of the boarder. There is only one university here that I can enroll in, and I will be doing my pre-reqs in my home town to eliminate some expenses. I have the required BS but lack a lot of pre-reqs.

well, in 8 years you're going to be 35 anyway.. would you rather be what you are now? or be an optometrist? or any profession for that matter...though in this case, since you are worried about time invested...OD is a faster route than say an MD/DO. You may want to consider what the previous poster wrote...that there are accelerated BS/OD programs that may save you some time and money. Other professions must also have something similar to this as well. You may want to weigh your options with all similar-type professions (ie dentistry, podiatry, pharmacy..etc) to see what the time options might be. Have you ever considered Physician Assistant? its only a 2 year program, and at some programs an accelerated BS degree in addition to the PA studies.

Though, if you're set on eyes...and concerned with time...do an OD over an OMD for sure.

I have a student in my class in his 60s. its been his lifelong dream...and now hes completing it. never too late
I like that advice on "In 8 years you're going to be 35 anyways". After some research I've selected optometry as something I would really like to do, I just want to make sure I make the right decision to go ahead with it. Thanks for the advice on the Physician Assistant. This is something fairly new to Canada and I haven't done very much research on it, so that is something else I will look into.

I'm a non-traditional student. Do you already have a BA in something else? If you do, then just go back for the pre-req's. I was a non-science major and only had one biology class completed, so it took me 3 full semesters and 2 summer terms (a year and a half) to complete my pre-req's. There are also some schools that don't require a BA/BS - so that's another option if you don't have yours. I know NOVA is one of the schools that offers the joint Bachelors/OD program...but I'm sure there are others. That's another good option if you don't have yours yet.

Also, I guess it depends on the state. I'm doing my pre-req's in Texas and there is NOTHING in terms of financing for going back to school...but that's because I am post-bacc and have a bachelor's already. All I could take out were loans (I guess that counts as financing - but it totally sucks!) - nothing was available for scholarships or grants. I've had to take out about $30k for the last year and a half for tuition and living expenses.

You could look into military scholarships as well - they will often pay for you to go to undergrad as well as the OD...but I'm not sure what age restrictions they have on that (they would want to invest in people who are most likely to make their careers in the service). They definitely have lots of scholarships for the OD, but every branch has a different program so you'd need to talk to a recruiter for each.
I was excited to see your post. I seem to be in a fairly similar position as you were. I have a BS in Business Management but only have 2 science courses completed (not sure why it's a BS??)

So all I need is to complete my pre-reqs but might still take me more than 2 years. I'm not quite worried about the financing as I have been saving up a good amount to get me started. What was your BA in? Was it difficult to make the decision to go into optometry?

Your age won't likely be a significant factor in your admission to an OD program. It will come up during interviews since it will set you apart from the "average" applicant, but it won't be something that admission committees will frown upon. In fact, I'd say most admissions committees try to intentionally take some older students in the class to provide some balance. There were about 6 people over 30 in my class.

The bigger question is, do you want to start on a very long, very expensive journey that will end at age 35 or so and may not be exactly what you think it is? As another poster already pointed out, you might also be considering other health professions. It's no secret that I believe, along with many other practicing ODs, that there are much more solid health care careers to be in right now. In evaluating professions, don't look at what the schools tell you, what the professional organizations tell you, or what any single practitioner tells you. Go talk to as many practitioners as you can. Avoid the temptation to walk into only the settings you are interested in. If you're interested in PP optometry, great - go talk to some PP docs. Also consider the situation of the docs you speak with and relate that back to your question. If you ask an established, highly-successful OD about his/her opinion of the oversupply issue, the response will likely be less negative than the 2010 grad who has yet to find anything more than a string of PT commercial positions paying 40/hr. Consider that, as a new OD, you will very likely, almost certainly have to relocate from where you are now. At 25 or 26, that might not be as big of a problem than it would be at 35 or older when things tend to be a little more settled with family/kids/etc. Realize that most graduates of OD programs these days are going into commercial optometry and it's not by choice. Talk to younger, recent grad ODs and get their opinions. If you turn a blind eye to what's out there, you may be very disappointed with what you end up with after you graduate.

Unfortunately, optometry is one of the health professions that likes to hide its "dirty laundry" from the public and from prospective applicants. When large groups of ODs get together to discuss the state of optometry, either on forums or in person, the debate often gets very heated and invariably ends in people dumping on all the new schools cranking out thousands of excess ODs, the AOA's lack of determination in pushing the real . For some reason, though, here on this forum, where many of the prospective applicants come to learn about optometry, there's only a few ODs presenting the darker side of optometry right now.

It's up to applicants to decide for themselves, but if there were a "secret pole" of practicing ODs asking about whether there's a serious oversupply issue right now, the results would almost certainly come out rather unanimous. Applicants need to ask themselves if they really want to enter a profession that doesn't really need them. Attorneys are facing an oversupply issue that's even worse than optometry. Not all professions are on level playing fields. Look at what you want out of your profession. Then look at your options and decide whether your chosen profession can provide what you're looking for. It it is not likely to do so, I'd suggest looking at other options.
I'll certainly take that advice on talking to as many health professionals as I can. Thanks. Optometry has been really attractive due to the flexible life you can control, while still being able to help people and make a difference in their lives.

I was seeing a lot of negative comments regarding the optometry industry and where it's going, which has had me contemplating even more as to whether it is a good decision to get into it. I understand a lot of these comments came from the US, particularly California due to the hard hit economy as well as an oversupply of OD's. With me being in Canada, I don't think it is quite as bad due to only offering the OD at 2 institutions.

I appreciate the help!!

I have a BS in Business Management but only have 2 science courses completed (not sure why it's a BS??)

I had a BA in Natural Science and I took like 80 credits in science lol, sometimes I wonder...

I
I was seeing a lot of negative comments regarding the optometry industry and where it's going, which has had me contemplating even more as to whether it is a good decision to get into it. I understand a lot of these comments came from the US, particularly California due to the hard hit economy as well as an oversupply of OD's. With me being in Canada, I don't think it is quite as bad due to only offering the OD at 2 institutions.

I appreciate the help!!

There are many Canadian students in US schools, so you will be gaining more ODs per year than the 2 Canadians schools are graduating.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll certainly take that advice on talking to as many health professionals as I can. Thanks. Optometry has been really attractive due to the flexible life you can control, while still being able to help people and make a difference in their lives.

I'd use caution when assigning the quality of having a "flexible life you can control" to the field of optometry. Many people's complaints about what optometry has become for new grads relate back to the absence of that flexibility. Pay is much lower than expected, relocation becomes necessary for many, and the diversity of options is often not what was hoped.

Optomoption said:

For what it's worth, there were several Canadian students in my class. None of them returned to Canada because they said practicing in the US was a better option - which is scary. I don't know much about the OD situation in Canada, but I wouldn't assume that because there are only 2 schools, that oversupply is not an issue. As a final thought, if you think there is negativity on this site, get an OD student to show you around ODWire - a site for practicing ODs and students. The tables are very much turned on that site compared to this one. On SDN, it's 98% fluffy clouds and optometry rainbows and 2% negativity. On ODwire, it's the reverse. It's up to pre-optometry students to decide which group is more realistic - a group largely composed of pre-optometry students or a group of practicing ODs.

I'm not telling you not to go into optometry, but make SURE you know exactly what you're getting before you sign on the dotted line. Many people evaluating professions, not just optometry, form a picture in their mind of what the profession entails and then they find information that "fits" with their image, ignoring everything else. It's a dangerous way to go.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, there were several Canadian students in my class. None of them returned to Canada because they said practicing in the US was a better option - which is scary. I don't know much about the OD situation in Canada, but I wouldn't assume that because there are only 2 schools, that oversupply is not an issue. As a final thought, if you think there is negativity on this site, get an OD student to show you around ODWire - a site for practicing ODs and students. The tables are very much turned on that site compared to this one. On SDN, it's 98% fluffy clouds and optometry rainbows and 2% negativity. On ODwire, it's the reverse. It's up to pre-optometry students to decide which group is more realistic - a group largely composed of pre-optometry students or a group of practicing ODs.
In Canada, as far as I can tell, the major cities do experience oversupply though not nearly to the level experienced in the US. Out West (except for BC...poor bastards) you can still earn a great living with a lower amount of competition since both Canadian optometry schools are located centrally (Ontario/Quebec). As far as ODWire is concerned, to be fair Jason, I would argue that the tone there is more....realistic? You do an interesting job of balancing out the fluffy clouds with your doom and gloom on these forums, but over there the opinions are a little more neutral, and the posting in general seems to be of higher quality.

In Canada, as far as I can tell, the major cities do experience oversupply though not nearly to the level experienced in the US. Out West (except for BC...poor bastards) you can still earn a great living with a lower amount of competition since both Canadian optometry schools are located centrally (Ontario/Quebec). As far as ODWire is concerned, to be fair Jason, I would argue that the tone there is more....realistic? You do an interesting job of balancing out the fluffy clouds with your doom and gloom on these forums, but over there the opinions are a little more neutral, and the posting in general seems to be of higher quality.

I have yet to see any form of neutrality on ODWire so I don't know exactly what you're referring to. Realistic? Yes. Neutral? Most definitely not.

As far as practicing in Canada, I have no reason to dispute what you're saying. The reality is, though, that the ODs I've known who are US-trained Canadians almost universally choose not to return home. There has to be a reason for that. I hear Canadian ODs refer more to the medical system itself as the problem and not so much the oversupply issue. If Canada is a better option than the US, then I'd expect there to be a steadily increasing flow of US and Canadian ODs migrating north after training. This simply is not the case.

Last edited:
I can tell you why I as a Canadian did not return home....

1) No TPA laws. I had all this training I wouldn't be able to use in Canada.

2) I married an American woman who was from the suburbs of NYC and didn't want to move to Buffalo. Imagine that.

I think this is what happens for most Canadian students. I think most come with the intention of moving back. But optometry school is like prison. You spend so much time with your classmates and your classmates friends that you start doing it with each other.

I can tell you why I as a Canadian did not return home....

1) No TPA laws. I had all this training I wouldn't be able to use in Canada.
What's TPA?
2) I married an American woman who was from the suburbs of NYC and didn't want to move to Buffalo. Imagine that.

I think this is what happens for most Canadian students. I think most come with the intention of moving back. But optometry school is like prison. You spend so much time with your classmates and your classmates friends that you start doing it with each other.
Err.. I'm still thinking about all the possible meanings of that last sentence. :laugh:

I was excited to see your post. I seem to be in a fairly similar position as you were. I have a BS in Business Management but only have 2 science courses completed (not sure why it's a BS??)

So all I need is to complete my pre-reqs but might still take me more than 2 years. I'm not quite worried about the financing as I have been saving up a good amount to get me started. What was your BA in? Was it difficult to make the decision to go into optometry?

Hey, you have more science classes finished than I did! I had just the one bio, the calculus, the English, the psychology, and that's it. My BA was in Sociology - completely unrelated! Yea it will probably take you 2 years just because the science classes are so sequential. I was only taking 12 credit hours or less these last few semesters, because that's all that I could take due to pre-req's for courses down the road (like organic chem before biochemistry, etc).

Here's what I did in order to fit it in as tightly as possible:
Semester 1: Physics 1, Physics 1 Lab, Chemistry 1, Chem Lab 1, Anatomy/Physiology 1, A/P Lab 1
Semester 2: Chemistry 2, Chem Lab 2, Anatomy/Physiology 2, A/P Lab 2, Bio 2, Bio Lab 2
Summer 1: Organic Chem 1, Orgo Lab 1
Summer 2: Physics 2, Physics Lab 2
(took OAT)
Semester 3: Microbiology, Micro Lab, Biochemistry
Some schools require a little more, like additional upper level biology or something, but this met the requirements of almost all the schools for me. Then I had lots of time to apply this semester, and will be able to work next semester to save up a little before starting opt school.

Deciding on optometry was a big reversal from anything I had thought about doing, so in that way it was a difficult decision. I guess I just wondered if I was making a crazy decision (like you!). But when I shadowed or did anything optometry-related, I looooooved it and realized this was definitely what I wanted to do. I've never doubted it since!

I think your background in business will help a LOT. To me, that's one reason that some optometrists have a hard time when they do open private practices. Lots of them that I have shadowed have complained a lot about how hard it is to run your own practice. Plus you have to be strategic about where you open your practice. Like a lot of the other people posting have said, supply/demand is an issue. But I think that's what happens when you open an office in a big city - regardless of the state (or country). If you are willing to move to a smaller town/city that is sort of new or at least growing quickly, you will do just fine. That's just kind of a gamble you have to take in terms of thinking "Hey, ten years from now, this city will have grown a lot." You never know!

Good luck!

Some schools might require require you to redo the pre-requisites.

I usualy advise non-traditional students to consider the payoff period.

You can be happy and practice from almost day one, but to be truly successful, you need a long period of practice after student debt is paid off.

My estimate would be a good 15-20 years. Commercial or employed
10-15 for private practice.

It's hard to build wealth until you get the student loan/practice loan monkey off your back (or at least shrunk down to a spider monkey!)

"But optometry school is like prison. You spend so much time with your classmates and your classmates friends that you start doing it with each other".

Thank god optometry schools have mostly females, otherwise it would get really awkward.

"But optometry school is like prison. You spend so much time with your classmates and your classmates friends that you start doing it with each other".

Thank god optometry schools have mostly females, otherwise it would get really awkward.

LOL true dat bro/sis

Hey, you have more science classes finished than I did! I had just the one bio, the calculus, the English, the psychology, and that's it. My BA was in Sociology - completely unrelated! Yea it will probably take you 2 years just because the science classes are so sequential. I was only taking 12 credit hours or less these last few semesters, because that's all that I could take due to pre-req's for courses down the road (like organic chem before biochemistry, etc).

Here's what I did in order to fit it in as tightly as possible:
Semester 1: Physics 1, Physics 1 Lab, Chemistry 1, Chem Lab 1, Anatomy/Physiology 1, A/P Lab 1
Semester 2: Chemistry 2, Chem Lab 2, Anatomy/Physiology 2, A/P Lab 2, Bio 2, Bio Lab 2
Summer 1: Organic Chem 1, Orgo Lab 1
Summer 2: Physics 2, Physics Lab 2
(took OAT)
Semester 3: Microbiology, Micro Lab, Biochemistry
Some schools require a little more, like additional upper level biology or something, but this met the requirements of almost all the schools for me. Then I had lots of time to apply this semester, and will be able to work next semester to save up a little before starting opt school.

Deciding on optometry was a big reversal from anything I had thought about doing, so in that way it was a difficult decision. I guess I just wondered if I was making a crazy decision (like you!). But when I shadowed or did anything optometry-related, I looooooved it and realized this was definitely what I wanted to do. I've never doubted it since!

I think your background in business will help a LOT. To me, that's one reason that some optometrists have a hard time when they do open private practices. Lots of them that I have shadowed have complained a lot about how hard it is to run your own practice. Plus you have to be strategic about where you open your practice. Like a lot of the other people posting have said, supply/demand is an issue. But I think that's what happens when you open an office in a big city - regardless of the state (or country). If you are willing to move to a smaller town/city that is sort of new or at least growing quickly, you will do just fine. That's just kind of a gamble you have to take in terms of thinking "Hey, ten years from now, this city will have grown a lot." You never know!

Good luck!
Wow, Thanks for the info. My worry was choosing optmetry from a completely unrelated field and having to start from scratch. I am going to be speaking to some optometrists in the next couple of months to get some of their advice as well, both from experienced OD's and fresh out of school.

The business background I was told would help me out. I was speaking to an admissions officer at a dental school, and they told me the same thing. They like to see a business background so that when the student completes the program, he/she will be more likely to succeed in their private practice.

I am currently living in a small town where I grew up and would like to open a practice here. By the time I complete my OD my town will be hopefully undeserved as the current OD will likely be starting to retire.

I appreciate all your feedback! Thanks, and good luck to you too!

I usualy advise non-traditional students to consider the payoff period.

You can be happy and practice from almost day one, but to be truly successful, you need a long period of practice after student debt is paid off.

My estimate would be a good 15-20 years. Commercial or employed
10-15 for private practice.

It's hard to build wealth until you get the student loan/practice loan monkey off your back (or at least shrunk down to a spider monkey!)
Payoff period is certainly something important to consider! Thank you for those timelines, they seem to be fairly realistic.

Hello, kudos to you for wanting a career change and having the financial ability to realize your dream!
First of all, do not get another degree since you already have one. Just take the minimal amount of prereqs! Ignore schools' "recommended" courses such as histology. Taking only the prereqs will take you 1.5 years, while getting a BS in science may be double the amount. It's definitely not worth it unless, of course, you want a career in science to be your Plan B or, you want to boost your overall GPA.
As an University of Waterloo student, I also contemplated about going to the optometry program there. I was also non-traditional in the sense that I was majoring in engineering. So given my background, I feel I can really relate to your situation.
I discovered that I didn't really like engineering as much as I hoped, so I was extremely enthusiastic when I discovered about optometry. The prospect of treating eye diseases excites me. The idea of owning my own practice seemed very gratifying. In addition, my first shadowing experience with a prosperous PP went really well. Not surprisingly, I was on fire about optometry for the longest time, until I learned about some of the negatives of this field.
You can imagine my anger when I learned what one of my mom's friends said about my new career resolution. "Optometry? Isn't that where people who can't get into med school go to? Don't let your kid go there!" Of course, I don't care about trivial things like this, but I did question why the admission GPA for opto school and med school are so different. From years of life experience, I humbly believed that while admission GPA does not paint the whole picture, it does have a correlation with how desirable and fought-after a career option is (analogous with a fought-after job and its corresponding high requirements). However, I was almost afraid to research--I was afraid that I would discover something about optometry that would change my mind because I was so fixated on it. Eventually, I came to my senses and did extensive research. I learned many things, such as the fact that most of a typical optometrist's earning comes from glasses. I also learned about the oversupply, the competition between opticians, optometrists, and ophthalmologists for the same "pie", the fact that optometrists are not needed in many countries (eg. Singapore), the BC province's new policy, and facts about commercial optometry that seems to be dominating. Not only that, I went out and shadowed 5 more optometrists, 2 in PP, 2 in Lenscrafter, and 1 in Walmart. I watched their typical days, helped out around the offices, and asked them a lot of questions about their profession. After all these, I became sufficiently educated about optometry and decided it's not for me since I wanted to treat eye problems without too much commercial aspect of the profession. On the other hand, I have a friend who loves the business aspect of optometry and is now attending SUNY. So, it's really about what YOU want, and whether optometry would meet your goals. Do a lot of research, and shadow a lot of people, even if it seems like a lot of work - Besides, the research and esp. shadowing will boost your application, so it's a win-win thing to do.
As for your age, I don't think you're too old or anything. Lots of people change their careers in their 30s and 40s. I've bumped into silver-haired people in faculty offices, thinking they were professors, only to realize they were still completing their Ph.D.s, haha.
At almost the same time, I was shadowing dentists and learning about their profession as well. I came to the conclusion that dentistry is a better fit for me. I'm in the process of applying to schools right now and it's very stressful, but at last, I feel I found the career that wouldn't leave me wondering if I'd be happier doing something else. I really wish you the best in your quest to career change. 4 years is a big investment. Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding the application as a non-trad or anything else if you want. Good luck!:luck:

Hello, kudos to you for wanting a career change and having the financial ability to realize your dream!
First of all, do not get another degree since you already have one. Just take the minimal amount of prereqs! Ignore schools' "recommended" courses such as histology. Taking only the prereqs will take you 1.5 years, while getting a BS in science may be double the amount. It's definitely not worth it unless, of course, you want a career in science to be your Plan B or, you want to boost your overall GPA.
As an University of Waterloo student, I also contemplated about going to the optometry program there. I was also non-traditional in the sense that I was majoring in engineering. So given my background, I feel I can really relate to your situation.
I discovered that I didn't really like engineering as much as I hoped, so I was extremely enthusiastic when I discovered about optometry. The prospect of treating eye diseases excites me. The idea of owning my own practice seemed very gratifying. In addition, my first shadowing experience with a prosperous PP went really well. Not surprisingly, I was on fire about optometry for the longest time, until I learned about some of the negatives of this field.
You can imagine my anger when I learned what one of my mom's friends said about my new career resolution. "Optometry? Isn't that where people who can't get into med school go to? Don't let your kid go there!" Of course, I don't care about trivial things like this, but I did question why the admission GPA for opto school and med school are so different. From years of life experience, I humbly believed that while admission GPA does not paint the whole picture, it does have a correlation with how desirable and fought-after a career option is (analogous with a fought-after job and its corresponding high requirements). However, I was almost afraid to research--I was afraid that I would discover something about optometry that would change my mind because I was so fixated on it. Eventually, I came to my senses and did extensive research. I learned many things, such as the fact that most of a typical optometrist's earning comes from glasses. I also learned about the oversupply, the competition between opticians, optometrists, and ophthalmologists for the same "pie", the fact that optometrists are not needed in many countries (eg. Singapore), the BC province's new policy, and facts about commercial optometry that seems to be dominating. Not only that, I went out and shadowed 5 more optometrists, 2 in PP, 2 in Lenscrafter, and 1 in Walmart. I watched their typical days, helped out around the offices, and asked them a lot of questions about their profession. After all these, I became sufficiently educated about optometry and decided it's not for me since I wanted to treat eye problems without too much commercial aspect of the profession. On the other hand, I have a friend who loves the business aspect of optometry and is now attending SUNY. So, it's really about what YOU want, and whether optometry would meet your goals. Do a lot of research, and shadow a lot of people, even if it seems like a lot of work - Besides, the research and esp. shadowing will boost your application, so it's a win-win thing to do.
As for your age, I don't think you're too old or anything. Lots of people change their careers in their 30s and 40s. I've bumped into silver-haired people in faculty offices, thinking they were professors, only to realize they were still completing their Ph.D.s, haha.
At almost the same time, I was shadowing dentists and learning about their profession as well. I came to the conclusion that dentistry is a better fit for me. I'm in the process of applying to schools right now and it's very stressful, but at last, I feel I found the career that wouldn't leave me wondering if I'd be happier doing something else. I really wish you the best in your quest to career change. 4 years is a big investment. Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding the application as a non-trad or anything else if you want. Good luck!:luck:
Hey, Thanks for the kudos! That's some great advice; I was going to enroll in a full-time program in order to save some cash as well as have a plan B, but I may actually save money because I won't need to take 3 full years of courses. I'll have to do the math, especially since I'll be done school and earning for an extra year and a half. I can also take the extra classes towards a degree if I don't get accepted to Waterloo right away. Going from Engineering to Medical is definitely non-traditional, and it's great that you realized you didn't like it before you kept going.

I'm also at the point where I feel I don't want to do anything else except become an Optometrist! I do realize some of the negatives, but maybe I'm not fully aware of how negative they are. I am hoping to find out more when I shadow some Optometrists, but also hope that it won't change my views on the industry.

Haha, you can say that about many professions, a secondary for med school potentials. I know vets and chiropractors get that quite a bit too. Maybe I can say a Doctor is someone that flunks out of Engineering; Some people get it, and some don't (may be a little far fetched).

I think I like the idea of helping to treat eye conditions as well as running the business side of things. I think that is what I like most about the profession. I will have to see more when I shadow some OD's.

That's Great you are looking to the dental industry! That is something I wanted to do as a child, but of course for all the greedy reasons. That was also a time that I wasn't a fan of education, and so that is when my plan of becoming a dentist ended, when I realized how much schooling I needed!! Now here I am after a 4 year degree, in the workforce for a few years, and itching to go back to school because I love it!

Thank you for the advice!! Good luck to you too in dental school!!

Hey, I'm glad I could be of help. I just have a quick thing to add. You reminded me that enrolling in a full-time program is probably cheaper than taking individual courses at $600~800 per course. Perhaps, just perhaps, you could enroll in a full-time program (science or "free studies") and take all your prereqs in 1.5 years, then QUIT the program. I know a few people who were doing this, either on purpose or something came up in their lives and they needed to quit. Perhaps you could look into this option and save some money if you can :)

Hey, Thanks for the kudos! That's some great advice; I was going to enroll in a full-time program in order to save some cash as well as have a plan B, but I may actually save money because I won't need to take 3 full years of courses. I'll have to do the math, especially since I'll be done school and earning for an extra year and a half. I can also take the extra classes towards a degree if I don't get accepted to Waterloo right away. Going from Engineering to Medical is definitely non-traditional, and it's great that you realized you didn't like it before you kept going.

I'm also at the point where I feel I don't want to do anything else except become an Optometrist! I do realize some of the negatives, but maybe I'm not fully aware of how negative they are. I am hoping to find out more when I shadow some Optometrists, but also hope that it won't change my views on the industry.

Haha, you can say that about many professions, a secondary for med school potentials. I know vets and chiropractors get that quite a bit too. Maybe I can say a Doctor is someone that flunks out of Engineering; Some people get it, and some don't (may be a little far fetched).

I think I like the idea of helping to treat eye conditions as well as running the business side of things. I think that is what I like most about the profession. I will have to see more when I shadow some OD's.

That's Great you are looking to the dental industry! That is something I wanted to do as a child, but of course for all the greedy reasons. That was also a time that I wasn't a fan of education, and so that is when my plan of becoming a dentist ended, when I realized how much schooling I needed!! Now here I am after a 4 year degree, in the workforce for a few years, and itching to go back to school because I love it!

Thank you for the advice!! Good luck to you too in dental school!!

Not sure if this has become the law of the land ......yet(?) Anyone know? The bold areas are most interesting to me. I can't see how this will increase the need for ODs in this locale. And it's only a matter of time before it comes to the U.S. Mark my words.

NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
2010HSERV0015-000286
March 19, 2010
Ministry of Health Services​

B.C. MODERNIZES REGULATIONS FOR SALE OF EYEWEAR

VICTORIA – The Province introduced a series of changes today that will modernize the way in which British Columbians get their glasses and contact lenses, and give them more choice, announced Health Services Minister Kevin Falcon.

“After lengthy consultation on some of these issues, and a recent court decision that caused us to take a broader look at all the existing regulations, now is the time to take action,” said Falcon. “With advances in technology and more consumers turning to the Internet, it makes sense to modernize a decades-old system to give British Columbians more choice while maintaining public safety.”

The Province is giving six weeks’ notice that effective May 1, 2010, changes will be made to the regulations for opticians and optometrists under the Health Professions Act, including:
· Removal of most of the restrictions that allow only opticians or optometrists, or workers supervised by them, to dispense glasses or contacts.
· Allowing prescriptions issued by medical doctors and optometrists outside of the province to be filled within B.C.
· Allowing people to order glasses or contacts online without having to give the seller a copy of their prescription, sight-test assessment or contact-lens specifications.
· Requiring opticians and optometrists in B.C. to include in a prescription or sight-test assessment the measurement of distance between the client’s pupils, which is required for the proper fitting of glasses.
· Requiring opticians and optometrists in B.C. to give clients, free of charge, a copy of their prescription, sight-test assessment or contact-lens specifications – whether or not it is requested by the client – and also to give a copy, free of charge, to a third-party eyewear seller or other person if requested by the client.

The initial fitting of contacts to determine the lens specifications will still be done only by an optician, optometrist or medical doctor, or workers supervised by them, using information contained in a prescription or sight-test assessment.

Also taking effect on May 1 is a change to optician sight-testing. Opticians will now be able to independently conduct sight-tests for healthy clients aged 19-65. This eliminates the extra step of having a sight-test reviewed by a medical doctor who then issues a prescription. Instead, a screening process will be put in place to ensure a client is healthy enough to be eligible for the sight-test, and is fully informed about the difference between a sight-test and an eye-health examination.

The screening process will also require the optician to refer a client to a medical doctor or optometrist if the client has a specified pre-existing condition or if certain test results occur. Regular eye-health examinations will still be recommended for all British Columbians, who should consult a medical doctor or optometrist about how often they should have an eye-health examination.

An October 2009 decision by the B.C. Court of Appeal found that Coastal Contacts, a B.C.-based online eyewear seller with approximately 120 employees, is contravening the regulations by dispensing contact refills without seeing a prescription. These regulatory changes will address the court decision.

Thanks everyone for all your advice, comments, and suggestions :)