Students Attending NUIG in Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCMDcanadianpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm from Canada and I have been accepted to NUIG. Just wanted to see if anyone else on this site was accepted and planing on attending NUIG in the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm also from Canada and will be attending NUIG starting September. I think there are a handful of us here. I'm currently in Vancouver just finishing up my Master's, then in Toronto for July and Ireland in August!

Nice! Glad to hear there's another Canadian going to NUIG. Did not know there was a handful of us going on this site, hopefully more people message.
If you don't mind me asking what made you decide on attending NUIG?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it was my first time applying to medicine and since I didn't have time to write my MCAT because of my Master's, I didn't apply to any Canadian or American schools. I thought I'd just make my application for NUIG and TCD, the only two Irish schools which accept graduates who haven't done MCAT and I had nothing to lose accept** 150$ USD (I didn't want to go to RCSI-Bahrain so I didn't apply to that). I got into NUIG and supposedly waitlisted for TCD. NUIG is a smaller school with a pretty fantastic match rate back to Canada and it tends to have a smaller international cohort so I decided I would put down the deposit for NUIG. And so I'm attending NUIG! How about yoruself?

Edit: ******, I used the wrong "except".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply.

I actually applied to Canadian and a few medical schools in America after I graduated from Uni. At the same time I applied to Ireland and Australia as a back up. I got into NUIG and UQ (Australia) and I am now deciding on which medical school I should go to. I am leaning towards NUIG because of the awesome match rates and because they teach microbiology in their first year and Pathology in the clinical years (I want to be a pathologist). Plus Ireland is so much more closer to Canada and the school year is similar to Canada's (September to May). Now I'm just trying to figure out more about NUIG's clinical years, like their electives/placements and any schools their affiliated with in America and Canada.

Thanks for the reply.

I actually applied to Canadian and a few medical schools in America after I graduated from Uni. At the same time I applied to Ireland and Australia as a back up. I got into NUIG and UQ (Australia) and I am now deciding on which medical school I should go to. I am leaning towards NUIG because of the awesome match rates and because they teach microbiology in their first year and Pathology in the clinical years (I want to be a pathologist). Plus Ireland is so much more closer to Canada and the school year is similar to Canada's (September to May). Now I'm just trying to figure out more about NUIG's clinical years, like their electives/placements and any schools their affiliated with in America and Canada.

Is this UQ Ochsner? Because I thought UQ-Ochsner was only for Americans while Canadians were not allowed to apply to it? Also yea let me know if you have more info the electives and placements because I'm trying to find that information to no avail.

Thanks for the reply.

As per CARMS , Europe incl Ireland has 41% match rate compared to Aussie 61% . Link:
http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/2016-CaRMS-Forum-Data-Deck_FINAL_EN.pdf

University of Queensland has 73% match rate to Canada- this info is from Ozztrek

As per CARMS , Europe incl Ireland has 41% match rate compared to Aussie 61% . Link:
http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/2016-CaRMS-Forum-Data-Deck_FINAL_EN.pdf

University of Queensland has 73% match rate to Canada- this info is from Ozztrek
This data is not reliable as it compares the entire Europe (including countries that have bad stats) to Australia.

The CARMS match rates for Irish grades are about 70%. If counting ERAS match for Canadians, it's about 86%. Check it out for yourself:
https://sites.google.com/site/nimsaucd/useful-files
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/abp-match-list-break-down-by-school.1165279/

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I'm a Canadian that also got accepted into NUIG for the Fall of 2016. I have just started planning for accommodation. I was hoping if you have any info on where I can "post an ad" for finding housemates. Has anyone started planning for a living place yet? I'm interested in finding a place near uni and living with med students. Will you find a place then housemates or vice versa?

I'm also looking for accommodation but at some point ABP emailed me telling me they do have housing for international students and they're just waiting for them to find out when registration opens. My main priority is finding a place not too far from university and at a reasonably convenient location to make weekly grocery trips. I'm hoping to just find a room in a place with university students. I don't think I can afford an entire apartment to myself

Yeah I got that email too from ABP. I ended up emailing back after a while asking if they can provide me with more details. The response was that only Dunaras has space for international students. I checked it out and it's kinda far from campus :/ and buses aren't frequent. I also read some reviews that are iffy. I don't have options for other student accommodation though. As for a private apartment, I definitely can't afford one entirely by myself either

daft is the most popular rental website for ireland. They have a variety of choices. Sometimes they are looking for roommates and other students

I'm thinking I'll head there a week earlier and take the first two days or so to find a place off campus that's closer to school. In the first year, I'm okay to spend a bit more to become accustomed to Galway, commuting the school and basically settling in. I feel like that's the only way for me to focus

There's FB group that you can join for accommodation/roommates. From my own experience, i wouldn't recommend dunaras... but if you live there, there will loads of first/premed medical students.

Yeah I'm planning to go to Galway a little early myself too, mainly to find accommodation. I actually found that FB group and sent a request to join, but nobody confirmed. Maybe I should message the admin personally. But I checked out daft and it's a pretty good website for students. I hope there will still be options available on the website by the time I get to Galway

Likewise. No response from the FB group yet. Here's hoping that there will still be options in August to find a place for the year

I just got an email today from Dunaras confirming a spot with them for the year. Anyone else in Dunaras?

Also, when is everyone planning on getting there? I'll be in Galway from August 8th-15th, seeing the city, the countryside with my buddies before leaving for two weeks of travelling. So if you're around Galway between August 8th and 15th and would like to meet up for some beers, lemme know!

Yeah I'm planning to go to Galway a little early myself too, mainly to find accommodation. I actually found that FB group and sent a request to join, but nobody confirmed. Maybe I should message the admin personally. But I checked out daft and it's a pretty good website for students. I hope there will still be options available on the website by the time I get to Galway
I rented an apartment in Dublin using daft, it is good website if you check it very often. Because there is lots of students and lots of competitions for rentals.