Student's dad needs HELP.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxDadInPI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm simply a dad with two fantastic kids in their 1st year of college and majoring in Pharmacy.

We are American citizens, living in the Philippines and I'm trying to locate someone, would be great if he/she would be either a Fil-Am or Filipino who has traveled this route already, to take the time to help me figure out where they will be after they graduate, assuming they graduate. lol Anyway, we plan to move to the states right after they graduate in 2012 and I'm trying to put together a plan as to what all they will have to do to get their Pharmacists Licensure in CA?

No, my kids don't know that I'm doing this, just trying to make sure that they are on the right track and have their info correct.

HELP!

jOE
Proud Father

Members don't see this ad.

Is there degree equivalency between the Phillipines degree and the American PharmD? I didn't think there was, so I don't know if they will be able to be practicing pharmacists. But then again, I'm not Fillipino and I don't know what kind of education system you have there.

You may want to start by contacting the California Board of Pharmacy at
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/

They may be able to provide the information you need on transfer equivalency between different countries.

HTH

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe the PharmD is offered in the Philippines either (which is the degree obtained by pharmacy students in the US). But I think they could practice by taking the licensing exam. I am Phil-Am, and we know someone that came from the Philippines that did that.

Hi all, I'm simply a dad with two fantastic kids in their 1st year of college and majoring in Pharmacy.

We are American citizens, living in the Philippines and I'm trying to locate someone, would be great if he/she would be either a Fil-Am or Filipino who has traveled this route already, to take the time to help me figure out where they will be after they graduate, assuming they graduate. lol Anyway, we plan to move to the states right after they graduate in 2012 and I'm trying to put together a plan as to what all they will have to do to get their Pharmacists Licensure in CA?

No, my kids don't know that I'm doing this, just trying to make sure that they are on the right track and have their info correct.

HELP!

jOE
Proud Father

Might have to remediate at a US school of pharmacy, but maybe not as someone pointed out.

Thank you ALL for replying to this Old Geezer's post.

bacillus1,

I understand there is degree equivalency between the Philippines and the US colleges or at leas certain colleges. Remember they are attending a college and will graduate with a BS in Pharmacy but not a PharmD.

Hope you get a chance to visit the Philippines, lots of beautiful sites and
you can do it on the cheap.

<><><><><><><><><><>
tootoo30,

Thanks for the website. I checked it out and got a email address, will
contact them directly and as better questions. The kids are going to be
surprised that their dad is doing all of this.

<><><><><><><><><><>
inquirer89,

Kumustaka, my guess is you took your screen name from the Manila Inquirer. Where are you from in the Philippines. Wish I could communicate with you in Tagalog, but as you know we foreigners are spoiled over here as English is the second language. I have lived here for 20 years... almost, love it.... absolutely love it. If you are up for it then PM me and I will place you in touch with the kids. Know they would like that.

Yes, the Philippines does have PharmD programs offered, two year course,
which a BS graduate can take and it is recognized by the US as I'm told.
Should anyone find out different or if I do let's post it here.

I have been told that a student from the Philippines graduates with a BS in Pharmacy, that they have to take a couple of tests, forget the exact test... I'm sure you gals & guys would know, leading to the CA Pharmacists Licensure and then they will be able to practice as a Pharmacists, but would not have a PharmD. Anyone, know if that is correct?

<><><><><><><><><><>
It is my understanding that once the student graduates and obtain his/her BS in Pharmacy they can go for CA Lincesure.

Ok, think that is about it for the ones I needed to reply to. Hope you
young guys and gals will forgive this Old Geezer and illiterate retired
sailor.... THANKS. :thumbup:

Do wish some others would help straighten me out. ;)

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

bacillus1,

I understand there is degree equivalency between the Philippines and the US colleges or at leas certain colleges. Remember they are attending a college and will graduate with a BS in Pharmacy but not a PharmD.

<><><><><><><><><><>
tootoo30,

<><><><><><><><><><>
inquirer89,

Kumustaka, my guess is you took your screen name from the Manila Inquirer. Where are you from in the Philippines. Wish I could communicate with you in Tagalog, but as you know we foreigners are spoiled over here as English is the second language. I have lived here for 20 years... almost, love it.... absolutely love it. If you are up for it then PM me and I will place you in touch with the kids. Know they would like that.

I have been told that a student from the Philippines graduates with a BS in Pharmacy, that they have to take a couple of tests, forget the exact test... I'm sure you gals & guys would know, leading to the CA Pharmacists Licensure and then they will be able to practice as a Pharmacists, but would not have a PharmD. Anyone, know if that is correct?

<><><><><><><><><><>
It is my understanding that once the student graduates and obtain his/her BS in Pharmacy they can go for CA Lincesure.

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

I'm fairly sure that you must have graduated before the year 2000 with a BS to be eligible to sit for the NAPLEX.

ANY new graduate MUST get a PharmD now (or be a foreign grad from an FGPEC approved program), no matter where they are, if they are to practice in the US.

None of the foreign hours count, from what I read on the CA board website. So even if you do get foreign equivalency from a BS degree, you would have to work 1500 hours as an intern, then sit for the NAPLEX and the CA law exam.

So...lots of hoops to jump through for a program which may or may not be considered equivalent to a PharmD.

bacillus1,

<><><><><><><><><><>
tootoo30,

<><><><><><><><><><>
inquirer89,

<><><><><><><><><><>

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

Hi Joe,

Good job trying to enlighten yourself and your kids :)

FYI, 100% of the pharmacy schools in the US are now PharmD degrees (as of 1999, I believe). BS's are not even offered anymore in the US. Those who obtained their BS (prior to the PharmD-only) have the opportunity to take extra classes to get their PharmD. As well, 100% of pharmacists in the US take the NAPLEX licensure exam and their state's law exam. Without passing these 2 exams you are not able to practice pharmacy.

The reason I mention these things is that most of the people on this forum haven't even dealt with the BS - most are pre-pharm going for their PharmD. So, I'd suggest, as I think you have, directing some questions to the State of California Board of Pharmacy for 100% accurate answers. As well, you could try asking some questions in the 'pharmacy student' forum (older, likely better able to answer these particular questions).

Good luck!

Mabuti! :)

I know of a pharmacist that graduated from a school from the Philippines but she had to have a certain amount of hours here before she could take the board. (Assuming there was a US/PI degree equivalency)

Hope that helps! :)

I'm fairly sure that you must have graduated before the year 2000 with a BS to be eligible to sit for the NAPLEX.

ANY new graduate MUST get a PharmD now (or be a foreign grad from an FGPEC approved program), no matter where they are, if they are to practice in the US.

None of the foreign hours count, from what I read on the CA board website. So even if you do get foreign equivalency from a BS degree, you would have to work 1500 hours as an intern, then sit for the NAPLEX and the CA law exam.

So...lots of hoops to jump through for a program which may or may not be considered equivalent to a PharmD.
CUbeav,

Thanks for a great reply. I know my kids are committed and are not afraid of the hoops, like the rest of the SDN posters. I'm just trying, more for my sake, to identify all of the hoops.

Guess what, my biggest fear on SDN, pre-pharmacy is that I don't have all the questions regarding the hoops and I'm here trying to the answers.

I know there are plenty of sharp guys and gals on her so please help this Old Geezer out, beat me to the punch and post the question and answer. lol.... nope it is true.

Again, thanks as your post certainly did provide good info.

jOE
Proud Father
Angeles City
Philippines

Hi Joe,

Good job trying to enlighten yourself and your kids :)

FYI, 100% of the pharmacy schools in the US are now PharmD degrees (as of 1999, I believe). BS's are not even offered anymore in the US. Those who obtained their BS (prior to the PharmD-only) have the opportunity to take extra classes to get their PharmD. As well, 100% of pharmacists in the US take the NAPLEX licensure exam and their state's law exam. Without passing these 2 exams you are not able to practice pharmacy.

The reason I mention these things is that most of the people on this forum haven't even dealt with the BS - most are pre-pharm going for their PharmD. So, I'd suggest, as I think you have, directing some questions to the State of California Board of Pharmacy for 100% accurate answers. As well, you could try asking some questions in the 'pharmacy student' forum (older, likely better able to answer these particular questions).

Good luck!
drugdoc,

Thanks shipmate! I'm finding that trying to 'enlighten' myself, a graduate from the College of Hard Knocks, and dealing with high tech college students is a real challenge. Hope, they/you will forgive my poor English, yes I am American born... Old Geezer. However, I ask no pity but rather a lot of HELP.

"FYI, 100% of the pharmacy schools in the US are now PharmD degrees (as of 1999, I believe). BS's are not even offered anymore in the US. Those who obtained their BS (prior to the PharmD-only) have the opportunity to take extra classes to get their PharmD. As well, 100% of pharmacists in the US take the NAPLEX licensure exam and their state's law exam. Without passing these 2 exams you are not able to practice pharmacy."

Good info, I have spent the last year thinking that they could go from the Philippines to the USofA and would only have to complete a few courses, possibly getting their Pharm Tech and then working their intern hours. Hmmm, was I wrong. I did know about the NAPLEX though, boy am I sharp.

I will check out the 'pharmacy student' forum

Thanks,

jOE
Proud Father
Angeles City
Philippines

eightonesix,

Kamustika? Yes, your info did help and if you wouldn't mind, ask the lady friend if she would be willing to communicate with me/us via email for some questions about how she did it and how she is finding all of the changes/hoops? If she isn't comfortable with that, wouldn't blame her, could I send a PM to you and.... Hmmm, might be too much to as you have your own hoops to jump through.

I do appreciate your reply and it did help.

jOE
Proud Father
Angeles City
Philippines

Members don't see this ad :)
Like some of the posters mentioned, you should contact the board of pharmacy directly and ask them. I know a couple of pharmacists who earned their BS in pharmacy from another country and had to enroll in a Pharm.D program before they can take the board exams.

I would be careful as well. Foreign grads tend to have a low passage rate on the CPJE (California's board examination) and policies may change in the future. Foreign grads are not really represented at the board of pharmacy so a lot of times, new road blocks are added.

Here's the latest statistic from the California BOP, regarding the CPJE:

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/publications/0907_0308_stats.pdf

As you can tell, in a 6 month period only 38 people who graduated from a school in the philippines took the CPJE and out of 38, only 17 passed. The low number of foreign grads who are allowed to take the CPJE indicates there are a lot of barriers.

BMBiology,

Thank you for replying. Yes, I do agree and am planning to sit down, draft up a &#8216;this is our situation and would like to know the following' email for the CA Board.

We do have a PharmD program, only one, here in the Philippines and according to several it is accredited in the US. I believe if the kids completed that and went to CA that they would then be able to take the CA Pharmacy Board and if they pass would qualify for licensure. What are your thoughts?

<><><><><><><><><><>

Thank you for the BOP .pdf doc on the stats. I saved it and will for sure show it to the kids, which BTW don't know that I'm doing this, at least not yet. See, I'm trying to see just how little they are being prepared and how much they are themselves researching for this big move.

Again, thank you very much,

jOE

We do have a PharmD program, only one, here in the Philippines and according to several it is accredited in the US. I believe if the kids completed that and went to CA that they would then be able to take the CA Pharmacy Board and if they pass would qualify for licensure. What are your thoughts?

In terms of accreditation, I would also check with the ACPE. They oversee all accreditations. http://www.acpe-accredit.org/

From the ACPE's website:http://www.acpe-accredit.org/international/faqs.asp

Does ACPE accredit pharmacy programs in countries other than the USA? How is that accreditation recognized by state boards of pharmacy?

ACPE has accredited only one pharmacy program that is not based in the USA - the PharmD of the Lebanese American University in Byblos, Lebanon. The program, accredited in June 2002, was evaluated using the same policies, procedures and standards as for all other PharmD programs accredited by ACPE. ACPE does not have different standards for non-USA-based programs.

I want to become a pharmacist so badly that I actually consider going out of the country (The Carribeans) to get my pharmD. or BS in pharmacy. This is some what similar to the question you are asking.

Foreign pharmacy school graduates do have to jump through many hoops to become a Registered pharmacist. (RPH) in the United States.

One of my coworkers was a graduate intern from Africa and he done a complete year of Intern hours at our pharmacy (1500 hours) before he could sit for the NAPLEX exam and possibly his CPJE. Along with his hours, he also had to first pass the TOFEL exam and then, the foreign equivalent exam (FPGEE = Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Exam).

Another important thing worth noting is U.S. requires that foreign pharmacy school graduates complete 5 school years. (4 yr pharmacy + 1 year Pre-pharm?)

I'm sure the foreign pharmacy school curriculum will also be evaluated by WES = World Education Services.

This route can easily result in jumping through hoops for the next 5 to 6 years.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those are the few general hoops foreign pharmacy students have to go through.

good luck. :)

Last edited:
From the ACPE's website:http://www.acpe-accredit.org/international/faqs.asp

Does ACPE accredit pharmacy programs in countries other than the USA? How is that accreditation recognized by state boards of pharmacy?

ACPE has accredited only one pharmacy program that is not based in the USA - the PharmD of the Lebanese American University in Byblos, Lebanon. The program, accredited in June 2002, was evaluated using the same policies, procedures and standards as for all other PharmD programs accredited by ACPE. ACPE does not have different standards for non-USA-based programs.
BMBiology,

I don't understand this as I have been told, as well as many of the Pharmacy students, that the PharmD program over here, in Manila, is accredited in the US.

Will do my best, limited as I am, to check this out. Really appreciate all that you have done.

jOE

I want to become a pharmacist so badly that I actually consider going out of the country (The Carribeans) to get my pharmD. or BS in pharmacy. This is some what similar to the question you are asking.

Foreign pharmacy school graduates do have to jump through many hoops to become a Registered pharmacist. (RPH) in the United States.

One of my coworkers was a graduate intern from Africa and he done a complete year of Intern hours at our pharmacy (1500 hours) before he could sit for the NAPLEX exam and possibly his CPJE. Along with his hours, he also had to first pass the TOFEL exam and then, the foreign equivalent exam (FPGEE = Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Exam).

Another important thing worth noting is U.S. requires that foreign pharmacy school graduates complete 5 school years. (4 yr pharmacy + 1 year Pre-pharm?)

I'm sure the foreign pharmacy school curriculum will also be evaluated by WES = World Education Services.

This route can easily result in jumping through hoops for the next 5 to 6 years.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those are the few general hoops foreign pharmacy students have to go through.

good luck. :)

Food for thought:
Did your coworker get his license before or after the required PharmD was instated.
I know before the PharmD requirement it was easier to get a license for a foreigner, and now it's harder, if not impossible. No one seems to be cognizant of this temporal division that happened less than 10 years ago.

Best bet is to contact ACPE in addition to the state board in CA, if you haven't done so already, and hope they actually respond.

EDIT: My point was carried across very well in an above post by CUBeav, so read above if you haven't done so.

Food for thought:
Did your coworker get his license before or after the required PharmD was instated.
I know before the PharmD requirement it was easier to get a license for a foreigner, and now it's harder, if not impossible. No one seems to be cognizant of this temporal division that happened less than 10 years ago.

Best bet is to contact ACPE in addition to the state board in CA, if you haven't done so already, and hope they actually respond.

EDIT: My point was carried across very well in an above post by CUBeav, so read above if you haven't done so.

He got licensed in 2008 (that would definitely be after pharmD was instated)

Even with the pharmD restated,foreign pharmacists with Bpharm can still get licensed in the US. The would need to take and pass the FPGEE and then come to the US and work to get 1500 intern hours before they can be allowed to take NAPLEX and the state law exam.

Even with the pharmD restated,foreign pharmacists with Bpharm can still get licensed in the US. The would need to take and pass the FPGEE and then come to the US and work to get 1500 intern hours before they can be allowed to take NAPLEX and the state law exam.

Hey Danny79,

I keep hearing different things from different people and some of that depends on what state they are from.

My kids are both American Citizens, born in the Philippines. Some are saying that they have to take the FPGEE some say no because they are Americans, however, we believe they will as they attended a foreign university. We also hear that they should take their PharmD over here or get their Masters in Pharmacy. This varies greatly as to how important this would be.

Right now, I'm hopping that someone will come along and outline what would happen if they graduate with their BS and we move CA. Is it absolutely necessary to obtain a PharmD before becoming a registered pharmacist? I'm wondering if their intern hours from here will transfer to the US? So many questions and some many different answers.

Right now, I plan to obtain more information from the college here and then call the CA State Board of Pharmacy and see if I can get some solid answers.

I really appreciate it when someone like you replies and gives me some insight. I'm really looking to make contact with a Pharmacist, a Filipina/Filipino who has already walked the walk would be fantastic, that would be interested in taking us through the process step by step.

jOE