• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Tufts University
Temple University
Wake Forest University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign
Boston University
University of Washington
University of Southern California
University of Arizona
Drexel University
Case Western Reserve University
Georgetown University
University of Texas Houston

Assume a student is applying from a mediocre state university. What type of GPA, MCAT, and ECs do you believe the student would need on average to apply to the schools on this list? Also, do you think this list includes a fair number of reaches and safeties? Just wanted to get some opinions so I know what types of stats I should be shooting for since these are some schools I would like to attend. Thanks! :)

Droopy Snoopy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
The Alamo
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Tufts University
Temple University
Wake Forest University
University of Pittsburgh
Boston University
University of Washington
University of Arizona
Drexel University
Georgetown University

Assume a student is applying from a mediocre state university. What type of GPA, MCAT, and ECs do you believe the student would need on average to apply to the schools on this list? Also, do you think this list includes a fair number of reaches and safeties? Just wanted to get some opinions so I know what types of stats I should be shooting for since these are some schools I would like to attend. Thanks! :)

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2005/2005mcatgpa.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Schoo...1551014?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1172876900&sr=8-1

There's also a couple of nice stickies at the top of this page.

I know I can get the factual data but was just wondering what people think would be the stats necessary to create a list of this nature.

About the Ads

mikeinsd

predictably unpredictable
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
dont take it personally op, but seriously? try the search function, buy an msar, do something on your own... this info is easy to find

but i guess it would be easier ask everyone esle to do your work for you...

seriously admins... make people wait a little while when new before starting threads

turkleton

Capeless Crusader
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Tufts University
Temple University
Wake Forest University
University of Pittsburgh
Boston University
University of Washington
University of Arizona
Drexel University
Georgetown University

Are you kidding?

TheAmazingGOB

It ain't easy bein' white
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Don't even apply to the University of Arizona unless you are a resident of that state. They don't accept non-residents. Period.

TheAmazingGOB

It ain't easy bein' white
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Also, don't bother with the University of Washington unless you are a WICHE (or whatever the stupid acronym is) resident.

mikeinsd

predictably unpredictable
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
ok here is about a serious reply as you deserve to get...

if you get a 44t and a 4.0 you have a great shot at any of them
if you get a 25 and a 2.7 you are likey SOL

if you get somewhere in between the two and are a decent person with ok EC's and can write a decent ps, you should get in somewhere, probably

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
ok here is about a serious reply as you deserve to get...

if you get a 44t and a 4.0 you have a great shot at any of them
if you get a 25 and a 2.7 you are likey SOL

if you get somewhere in between the two and are a decent person with ok EC's and can write a decent ps, you should get in somewhere, probably

Agree with the top part of your post, but I'm not sure you will get in anywhere if you are closer to that bottom border (i.e. a 2.8/26 isn't going to work, nor is a 2.9/27...).

OP -- pick up the MSAR and you can see the average stats for each school. Compare your own stats to those. If you match up favorably, apply. If you don't, the school is a longshot for you. Many people have no "safeties". But don't get totally hung up on the numbers, the other parts of the app can help or tank you too. One thing I note is that these schools are all over the map (literally and figuratively), so why them? It's usually best to have some rationalle for selecting schools, be it location, or whatever.

Droopy Snoopy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
The Alamo
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Agree with the top part of your post, but I'm not sure you will get in anywhere if you are closer to that bottom border (i.e. a 2.8/26 isn't going to work, nor is a 2.9/27...).

OP -- pick up the MSAR and you can see the average stats for each school. Compare your own stats to those. If you match up favorably, apply. If you don't, the school is a longshot for you. Many people have no "safeties". But don't get totally hung up on the numbers, the other parts of the app can help or tank you too. One thing I note is that these schools are all over the map (literally and figuratively), so why them? It's usually best to have some rationalle for selecting schools, be it location, or whatever.

And just to be clear, you get the stats and THEN apply to medical schools, you don't formulate your list of schools and aim for stats based on the averages. It's ******ed, like an 8th grader deciding whether to go Ivy or community college. Just do the best you can and see where you stand summer of junior year.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.