Study: 1 in 5 teenagers have hearing loss.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One in five American teenagers now suffers from some type of hearing loss, an increase of 31% since the mid-'90s, new research shows.
Most cases of hearing loss are slight, affecting only one ear and involving mostly high-frequency sounds, according to a study in today's Journal of the American Medical Association.

Because hearing loss is cumulative, these teens are at high risk for significant hearing problems as adults, says Brian Fligor, director of diagnostic audiology at Children's Hospital Boston, who wasn't involved in the study. Instead of developing noticeable hearing problems at age 50 or 60, these teens may have trouble hearing beginning at age 40.

The rest of the article:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-08-18-hearing18_st_N.htm

Get ready for a busy future folks.

Members don't see this ad.

You've been busy today, Dusty!

I saw this article last month in The Hearing Times. 19.5% is very high! I'd bet >30% (the share of total HL which has a NIHL factor is regarded as about 1/3 by the NIH) are noise-induced in the teen population... probably closer to 50%. I don't think it's ONLY MP3 players, though... That's kind of the basis of my research study this semester! I'll be doing a dosimetry study on activities of daily living. :)

You've been busy today, Dusty!

I saw this article last month in The Hearing Times. 19.5% is very high! I'd bet >30% (the share of total HL which has a NIHL factor is regarded as about 1/3 by the NIH) are noise-induced in the teen population... probably closer to 50%. I don't think it's ONLY MP3 players, though... That's kind of the basis of my research study this semester! I'll be doing a dosimetry study on activities of daily living. :)
Is this the research you will be presenting in Arizona?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget our tendency to drive with our stereo up way too loud in the car. I admit I'm guilty of that. And for those that throw a sub in the trunk, that louder low frequency noise just adds to it.

Don't forget our tendency to drive with our stereo up way too loud in the car. I admit I'm guilty of that. And for those that throw a sub in the trunk, that louder low frequency noise just adds to it.

Well, that really falls under personal media players but I am including road noise + music in my dosimetry data. I'm just not focusing on that. There are dozens of studies on young adults and music exposure. My research focuses more on hair driers, lawnmowers, wind noise, service industry jobs (waitressing), etc. that are overlooked by OSHA/ASHA.

And yes, Dusty, if I'm lucky enough. :)