study abroad, 2 week program worth it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

197premed

Reaction score
Hey! just wanted to ask for advice- i got accepted to a 2 week study abroad program about global health and the opportunity to shadow docs in another country. I'd love to go but the program cost is around $5k. Do you think it's worth it? Will it help for med school apps?

Members don't see this ad.

It might help, but I doubt it'll be 5k worth of help. Shadowing a foreign doctor doesn't tell you much about medicine in the US and some think these trips are more about the person going than the people being helped. That being said, I have classmates who went on them, probably listed them on AMCAS, and they're in med school so it's not like they cant help. I think the big thing is that they ultimately can't replace shadowing or volunteering in the US. For two weeks, you could shadow a physician stateside and put that money towards something better.

Reactions: 1 users
okay thanks! at first, i thought it carried more weight because of 3-course credits, but the amount of time spent there may not be substantial

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, it won't HURT your application. In my opinion, the 5k can be used towards something better honestly. As stated above, it won't substitute for volunteering and shadowing in the US

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard foreign shadowing isn't that helpful compared to domestic. if you'll grow from the experience and 5k$ isn't that much to you do it, if not it's not going to help much.

It's a money-making racket preying on naive pre-meds.