Study Abroad at RVC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurehealervet

Tufts C/O 2019 :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw on the RVC website that they have study abroad opportunities. It looks like you can do a semester or two of vet school there just as a study abroad. Has anyone done this? What US schools allow study abroad or have study abroad opportunities at RVC or elsewhere? Ive enjoyed study abroad in undergrad so it would be cool to do it again in vet school. Is that a real possibility? Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

We have some international opportunities (there's a course that goes to Thailand every year) and we've gotten student groups to go on a VIDA trip during the summers. But there's nothing like a semester abroad or anything. I feel like that'd be really difficult with the curriculum at each school being so specific.

I agree with Kcoughli. We have opportunities to go on various several week trips (Galapagos, Thailand, Haiti --others have gone to China, other Central/South American countries, etc) but not a semester. Just within the US, everyone's curriculum is so different as to when they teach things. Some schools have a systems approach while others just go through courses. I feel like it would be very difficult to do for that period of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a roommate in undergrad who spent a semester of her junior year in undergrad studying abroad at the RVC, but I don't think it'll be possible in vet school. Here at UF we have plenty of opportunities to go away for short trips (i.e. Honduras, Ecuador, Africa, China) or externships, but not for an actual semester. Like others have said, the curriculum is just so different between schools, and we have a pretty packed schedule, so it just wouldn't work. We have our first summer off to do whatever we'd like though, so you could always try to do a summer abroad somewhere. I think the RVC does offer the chance to participate summer research projects, you have to pay tuition, but it's something you could consider.

I'm the academic director of the Study Abroad programme at the RVC, and happy to answer any queries you have.