Study Abroad Classes to Fulfill Veterinary Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anirose24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to study abroad at the University of Edinburgh and wanted to take microbio and physiology to fulfill those veterinary prereqs. Will US vet schools accept these classes taken at a foreign institution? They are both listed as upper level sciences and otherwise seem completely equivalent to classes here in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to study abroad at the University of Edinburgh and wanted to take microbio and physiology to fulfill those veterinary prereqs. Will US vet schools accept these classes taken at a foreign institution? They are both listed as upper level sciences and otherwise seem completely equivalent to classes here in the US.
You could always email and double check with the schools you're applying to that require them to be sure!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Studied abroad at UCL in England, also took some bio moledules there along with a bunch of "fun" classes (London architecture, etc). Does your undergrad require you to take approved courses when studying abroad (i.e. the courses you take at edinburgh have equivalent ones at your home institution)? If so, then the study abroad pre-req courses should appear on your transcript from your undergrad, and vet schools tha require them should accept it.

Otherwise, if these courses don't show up on your transcript, you might need to do the world education evaluation service (forgot the exact name, but you should be able to find it on the VMCAS transcript entry directions).

Once again, when in doubt, you can call/email the vet schools to make sure that is acceptable.

Reactions: 1 user
Studied abroad at UCL in England, also took some bio moledules there along with a bunch of "fun" classes (London architecture, etc). Does your undergrad require you to take approved courses when studying abroad (i.e. the courses you take at edinburgh have equivalent ones at your home institution)? If so, then the study abroad pre-req courses should appear on your transcript from your undergrad, and vet schools tha require them should accept it.

Otherwise, if these courses don't show up on your transcript, you might need to do the world education evaluation service (forgot the exact name, but you should be able to find it on the VMCAS transcript entry directions).

Once again, when in doubt, you can call/email the vet schools to make sure that is acceptable.
Any classes I take at Edinburgh come onto my transcript as transfer credit, so I'll look into the world education evaluation service on VMCAS, thanks! Definitely also planning on contacting schools, but wanted to see what people here have experienced as well.