Study Abroad experience as theme for Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for medical school this cycle and am currently working on my personal statement. I wanted to get some perspective on whether or not I can focus my personal statement on my study abroad experiences. I attended DIS (Danish Institute for Study Abroad) in the Medical Practice and Policy program for a Spring semester. We had the opportunity to travel to Western Denmark, Sweden, and Estonia to visit hospitals, clinics, and research institutions. Our core class was also a hands-on course in which we were able to conduct patient interviews and write up a report. Throughout the semester we had clinical cases that we were to present in groups of 3. There was definitely a huge emphasis on research, healthcare in different regions of Europe, and how patient care differed within those regions. However, along with my core course, I also had the opportunity to take a philosophy course, a course on Greek Mythology, a course on Cancer, and development neuropsychology. Would a reflection on this experience and how it motivated me to pursue a career in medicine be appropriate as a theme for my personal statement?

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a great and really unique experience to write about, just be sure that you can tie it in to your goals and why you want to go into medicine.

I would have a paragraph on it, but i wouldn't focus my entire paper on it unless you were the one who created the program lol. Write a bit about it and how it changed you, matured you, etc. You should be presenting yourself as more than just a single experience. On another note, BRO YOU'RE LATE!!! Schools are already extending interviews and you're just working on your personal statement? C'mon son.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually waiting for my MCAT score to be released on Sept. 4 and I don't want to turn in my application till I receive that score. I have a backup plan to apply to post-bacc programs as well, so I do understand it is a bit a late. I am also only applying to Texas schools, since I am a Texas resident.

I'm actually waiting for my MCAT score to be released on Sept. 4 and I don't want to turn in my application till I receive that score. I have a backup plan to apply to post-bacc programs as well, so I do understand it is a bit a late. I am also only applying to Texas schools, since I am a Texas resident.

Doesn't that mean you're even later? Since they start interviewing in June and July? I don't know if they are rolling or not though.

I understand that I will be a later applicant, but my present concern is formulating my PS.

The problem with Sweden:thumbup:, and Denmark, is that instead of seeing patients with neuroblastoma or craniopharyngioma, you treat perfectly fine and healthy patients on sleep-pills and headache medications.

But yes, it sounds like a very unique personal statement (redundant :laugh:)

The problem with Sweden:thumbup:, and Denmark, is that instead of seeing patients with neuroblastoma or craniopharyngioma, you treat perfectly fine and healthy patients on sleep-pills and headache medications.

But yes, it sounds like a very unique personal statement (redundant :laugh:)
I guess what I'm most worried about is not having the "lifelong journey" that lead me to pursue medicine. The study abroad program is by far the most influential experience I've had.

mpk, you are REALLY late in general, but especially for Texas schools. Obviously, you didn't plan well and that will reflect really poorly on you. The adcoms will think you decided last minute. I mean, they are rolling decision and once those spots are gone, you're out of luck. If you took your MCAT so late, wait until next year. OR, send in everything to get the process started while you wait for the MCAT score to come in.

As for your PS: it sounds as if the experience was terrific, but what did you do? Were you a passive participant? If you're going to write about this, you can't simply focus on the program itself, but on you. It's this way: if you write about gaming, you can't simply write about that particular game, but about what you learned (about yourself) while playing.

But seriously. Rethink your timing. I have friends who not only got their application in the first day, but they also have already gone on interviews.

I am applying for medical school this cycle and am currently working on my personal statement. I wanted to get some perspective on whether or not I can focus my personal statement on my study abroad experiences. I attended DIS (Danish Institute for Study Abroad) in the Medical Practice and Policy program for a Spring semester. We had the opportunity to travel to Western Denmark, Sweden, and Estonia to visit hospitals, clinics, and research institutions. Our core class was also a hands-on course in which we were able to conduct patient interviews and write up a report. Throughout the semester we had clinical cases that we were to present in groups of 3. There was definitely a huge emphasis on research, healthcare in different regions of Europe, and how patient care differed within those regions. However, along with my core course, I also had the opportunity to take a philosophy course, a course on Greek Mythology, a course on Cancer, and development neuropsychology. Would a reflection on this experience and how it motivated me to pursue a career in medicine be appropriate as a theme for my personal statement?

Hejhej! I actually did the same HHD program at DIS last spring (even the same study tour! :D) and the experience definitely solidified my decision to go into medicine as well. At the same time, I'm not sure the experience is substantial enough in and of itself to be the basis for your entire PS. Why did you choose that particular program? I'm guessing there was some reason you took HHD over the Psychology, Bioinformatics or any of the other ones -- maybe you could incorporate the experiences/thoughts you had that led you to try out HHD. Did you do anything about your newfound perspective when you returned? I think you can make it into a solid PS if you incorporated it into a continuous narrative rather than a short-term life changing experience. I loved DIS and it was definitely a standout/unique experience for me, so if you can make it work, I'm sure it'll be great! Best of luck!

Your personal statement is not about your experiences. It is about you. You should be focusing on YOU. Your experiences are the data/justification/support for what you claim in your personal statement. It doesn't matter what you draw on as long as it supports what you are claiming about yourself.

mpk, you are REALLY late in general, but especially for Texas schools. Obviously, you didn't plan well and that will reflect really poorly on you. The adcoms will think you decided last minute. I mean, they are rolling decision and once those spots are gone, you're out of luck. If you took your MCAT so late, wait until next year. OR, send in everything to get the process started while you wait for the MCAT score to come in.

As for your PS: it sounds as if the experience was terrific, but what did you do? Were you a passive participant? If you're going to write about this, you can't simply focus on the program itself, but on you. It's this way: if you write about gaming, you can't simply write about that particular game, but about what you learned (about yourself) while playing.

But seriously. Rethink your timing. I have friends who not only got their application in the first day, but they also have already gone on interviews.
I totally understand about being late. I spent the summer studying for the mcat and was advised to focus on my PS after the mcat, which is what I ultimately decided to do. This advice actually came from my Health Professions office who are preparing my committee letter. Also, I am a non-trad student who is completing an MS in neuroscience.

Also, I had a friend who applied last year in September, from my institution, who received interviews and was accepted with <25 MCAT in Texas. So anything can happen. I'm going in with a good attitude. I don't believe there's anything to lose. If it doesn't work, there's always next year. :)

Your personal statement is not about your experiences. It is about you. You should be focusing on YOU. Your experiences are the data/justification/support for what you claim in your personal statement. It doesn't matter what you draw on as long as it supports what you are claiming about yourself.
+1
You are very right Mim

I guess what I'm most worried about is not having the "lifelong journey" that lead me to pursue medicine. The study abroad program is by far the most influential experience I've had.
You don't need the heartbreaking story to get into medicine. Just justify your desire to pursue it.

Hejhej! I actually did the same HHD program at DIS last spring (even the same study tour! :D) and the experience definitely solidified my decision to go into medicine as well. At the same time, I'm not sure the experience is substantial enough in and of itself to be the basis for your entire PS. Why did you choose that particular program? I'm guessing there was some reason you took HHD over the Psychology, Bioinformatics or any of the other ones -- maybe you could incorporate the experiences/thoughts you had that led you to try out HHD. Did you do anything about your newfound perspective when you returned? I think you can make it into a solid PS if you incorporated it into a continuous narrative rather than a short-term life changing experience. I loved DIS and it was definitely a standout/unique experience for me, so if you can make it work, I'm sure it'll be great! Best of luck!
HejHej! I'm sure you understand how AMAZING DIS really truly was. I actually attended Spring 2011. And yes, I was considering talking about my return and the steps I took from the insights I gained. (begin to focus on research, became part of Alzheimer's Association Speaker's Bureau to educate community, etc.)
But then again, I don't want it to be a rehash of my activites post-DIS.

Wow, I did DIS as well, way back in 2007 and it was great! I am curious to hear it has evolved.

It was an awesome experience for me too! Some people asked about how hands on it was. Not sure about now, but back in the day we were shadowing physicians, had practice patients to take case reports on, and even learned phlebotomy (practiced on each other lol... Lots of blood all over the place and would be illegal here). We observed a teaching autopsy in Germany, visited an inpatient cystic fibrosis clinic in Poland where we got to sit in on doctor's visits and consults, and shadowed many Danish clinicians in both private and public hospitals. The Human Health and Disease (HHD) class was really interesting as well and was pretty much a basic physiology class combined with a pathology class. This class was taught by two MDs at the local public hospital and our classes were actually in a medical conference room of the hospital.

The other classes were great as well. I even took a full semester of Danish! Hard language, but Jeg kan godt lide at slappe af og drikke øl. Jeg kommer fra USA! ;)

Annnyyywaaayyys... Back to the main question of the thread. I would say that this is a significant experience for you, so it deserves mention in your personal statement. Remember that your PS should answer the question: why do you want to be a doctor? If your experience with DIS in the MPP program is a piece of the answer to that, certainly mention it. Like others have said, your entire essay cannot be based on that though.

Good luck, it's great to hear that the Danish program is thriving!

Best,
C