Study Abroad or Save Money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AlmostDone2012

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to decide if I should go on a Study Abroad trip to China/Japan this summer. It's about $4,500 for a 3 week program that includes all hotel, airfare, meals, and 3 credit hours.

The pros are:
1)amazing cultural experience
2) 3 credit hours of class (which would decrease my load my fall p3 semester)
3) a once in a lifetime chance to go to china and japan? I'd probably never choose to travel there on my own in the future

The cons:
1) The cost. (is 18 days really worth $4,500)
2) Would also take away 3 weeks of working this summer

When i graduate I'll have about 120,000 in loans. Would 4,500 really matter that much? Or should i try to save as much as possible now?

(I'd just be taking out a 4,000 subsidized loan for it...so i wouldnt be incurring extra interest). I need advice! Thanks!
 
I honestly think you can travel for 18 days for less than $4500. Are college credits really that important to you? Find a friend that also wants to travel, and go together. Also, Europe is cheaper than China/Japan, so you could consider that, plus flights within Europe can be very cheap if you use the low-cost airlines over there. Still, even if you really want to do both China and Japan, I'd say you could do it in under $4000 for that time.
 
I did a 6 wk study abroad program in Spain during undergrad (~4 yrs ago) and it was worth every penny I spent on it. Hard to say how much it actually cost me since the program fee didn't include airfare or all meals.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to decide if I should go on a Study Abroad trip to China/Japan this summer. It's about $4,500 for a 3 week program that includes all hotel, airfare, meals, and 3 credit hours.

The pros are:
1)amazing cultural experience
2) 3 credit hours of class (which would decrease my load my fall p3 semester)
3) a once in a lifetime chance to go to china and japan? I'd probably never choose to travel there on my own in the future

The cons:
1) The cost. (is 18 days really worth $4,500)
2) Would also take away 3 weeks of working this summer

When i graduate I'll have about 120,000 in loans. Would 4,500 really matter that much? Or should i try to save as much as possible now?

(I'd just be taking out a 4,000 subsidized loan for it...so i wouldnt be incurring extra interest). I need advice! Thanks!

I would recommend it. Is there a way you can pick up extra hours of work when you get back so that you can "make up" the three weeks of work you would miss?
 
I honestly think you can travel for 18 days for less than $4500. Are college credits really that important to you? Find a friend that also wants to travel, and go together. Also, Europe is cheaper than China/Japan, so you could consider that, plus flights within Europe can be very cheap if you use the low-cost airlines over there. Still, even if you really want to do both China and Japan, I'd say you could do it in under $4000 for that time.

If you want to go, then go! Later in life you will not have the luxury of being able to just take 3 weeks off as easy as you can right now! If you are worried about money, then work a little extra if possible when you get back or just be frugal the rest of the summer.

This March will be my very last Spring Break and I plan on enjoying the hell out of it!
 
Having been on two study abroads (China and Argentina) GO!

$4,500 is a lot but the guides through those countries will be extremely helpful. In the grand scheme of things, its not a lot.

That being said, dont nickle and dime your loan money. Saying "In the grand scheme of things" for 4 or 5 things can add up to $25k. 😉
 
I recommend it. I have few regrets during my college years but one of them is not taking a study abroad trip. Yea, $4500 is a good chunk of change but with a subsidized loan you won't worry about it until you graduate.