kakurubird

10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2009
Metro DC
Status
Pre-Veterinary
So I'm looking for animal science-focused study abroad programs for next summer (2010). I'd love to do a semester somewhere, but with all the science courses and year-long sequences I need to take, that's just not possible.

I've found a program in Belize (Global Learning Semesters program) that seems pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with this program?

Also, any suggestions for any animal science-type study abroad programs (preferably more like the Belize program above than an SFS-type program)?

Last edited:

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
See if your university is a member of TASSEP. I'm planning on doing a semester of study abroad, and my uni is a member of this program... quite useful, as they guarantee credit for science courses studied abroad.

However, I'm saying screw it and planning on just taking a light courseload of humanities while abroad... making up for it by doing summer courses. :) And this was not very useful in finding a summer trip, sorry.

Ausheya

10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2009
California
Status
Occupational Therapist
I don't have any experience with this company (or any others, for that matter), but the programs seem like they'd be good. I found it on a random Google search a couple months back.

http://www.australearn.org/search/Programs/ProgramID187/

It seems kind of expensive, but then I haven't really looked at study abroad programs much so I don't have anything to compare the price to. It's during the summer, though, which was one of the reasons I saved the link. I'm not sure if this is anything like what you're looking for, though.

KittyRex

UC Davis SVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Davis, CA
Status
Veterinary Student
I DID partcipate in the Belize Animal Science pre-veterinary program in 2007 and it was a GREAT experience for me! (I also got a FULL scholarship through my school for the entire trip + airfare, so see if your school has any programs like this.)

Keep in mind that I had *just* begun to consider switching from pre-med to pre-vet and I hadn't yet had any hands-on clinical veterinary experience. Many of the things we did during normal class hours (SQ, IM injections, drawing blood, physical exams, suturing workshops, feeding and caring for wildlife, horse training etc) would not have been ground-breaking for me now after working as a vet-tech for nearly 2 years. However, back then, it was an absolutely perfect way for me to test the waters and gain some basic hands-on experience.

I WILL say that a few of us did have the opportunity to castrate bulls, pigs and neuter a stray dog (and ride a lot of horses!) but some of this was done during weekend extracurricular activities, so there's no guarantees. Also, having worked as a tech in a dog/cat only small animal clinic, I do think that my trip to Belize exposed me to MANY aspects of rural medicine, large animal medicine, equine medicine, wildlife and exotic medicine that I would otherwise not have experienced (not to mention the perspective one gains when exposed to the disparities and hardships faced by vets in developing countries... forget about gas anesthesia, autoclaves, gloves etc.).

Regarding credit - many of my friends did receive academic credit for their classwork in Belize. I didn't bother because I was a biochem major in undergrad and I knew it wouldn't fulfil any of my requirements.

I actually blogged the 1st half of my trip. PM me if you want with your email address and I'll give you access to my blog.

rileyroo

Auburn 2014
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
i'm interested in doing a trip like this next summer. how early do you apply for these trips?

OP
kakurubird

kakurubird

10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2009
Metro DC
Status
Pre-Veterinary
rileyroo,

From what I've found, the program I mentioned above has an application deadline of mid-April (I think) next year, but it's already possible to submit an application now. (And there's a discount for paying by mid-January.)

So, basically anytime between now and next spring.

rileyroo

Auburn 2014
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
oh great! i was thinking it might be too early. but if it's open and there are discounts available, i'm going to start looking into it now! thanks! :)