Study abroad & transcripts??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ames980

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I studied abroad my junior year, so on the AMCAS put down both schools in the course work section; my question being - if my grades from the abroad program are on my 1 transcript, do i need to have the one from the abroad university also sent to amcas?? its a rather poorly organized school when it came to the administration and i fear the amount of time it would take to get those out here!! what have the other travelers out there done?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. You must send ALL transcripts. It says so in the AMCAS instructions. :)

BTW, I submitted my study abroad transcripts in addition to other transcripts.

Members don't see this ad :)
do i need to have the one from the abroad university also sent to amcas?

No, I'm pretty sure you don't need to send the transcript from your abroad program if the grades appear on the transcript of your alma mater.

I had a similar situation so I emailed AMCAS and this is thier reply:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

Courses attempted through a study abroad program sponsored by a US or Canadian institution must be listed. If your transcript does not indicate that the courses were part of a formal study abroad program, you must ask the registrar's office to attach a letter of explanation to the official transcript before it is sent to AMCAS.

1. Include the foreign institution and the sponsoring US or Canadian institution in all lists of colleges attended. 2. Request transcript exception for the foreign school on the Official Transcript Inventory. Indicate the US or Canadian institution on whose transcript credits will appear.

3. On AMCAS web application, follow the instruction in the Help Menu under "Foreign Coursework, Study Abroad).

4. If the sponsoring US or Canadian institution provides letter grades (e.g., A, B, C, etc.) and semester hours (or course units convertible to semester hours) for each course on their transcript or on an official letter attached to their transcript:

a. Enter all required course data.
b. AMCAS will include this coursework in AMCAS GPAs, regardless of institutional policies.

5. If the sponsoring US or Canadian institution does not provide letter grades other than Pass/Fail:

a. Indicate "Pass/Fail" as the coursetype and provide all other required course data, entering the transcript grade as it appears on the official transcript of the sponsoring institution.
b. AMCAS will not include this coursework in AMCAS GPAs; however, AMCAS will include this coursework in cumulative Pass/Fail-Pass and Pass/Fail-Fail semester hour totals.