Study abroad vs medical volunteering abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndeshpa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to decide whether to do a global medical brigade trip of a regular study abroad. For reference the global medical brigade is one week of medical volunteering in panama and would cost roughly $1700 and the study abroad would be taking a neurobiology class in the Netherlands and would cost about $5000 for a month. Which do you think is more worth it and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Short-term medical volunteering has come under intense criticism from physicians and ethicists.* College credit is not cheap and a course in the Netherlands that can count toward your college degree and give you an opportunity to see Europe (everyone who studies abroad in Europe seems to spend every weekend on short flights to visit other cities/countries.) The opportunity to travel independently (alone or with friends, but without Mom & Dad) and to study in another country is, to me, more valuable than a week of whatever you might be qualified to do in a medical clinic in Panama for 7 days.

*Google the phrase "problems with medical missions" if you want to know more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I think the neurobio course in the Netherlands would be more interesting. If your question is which would be more impressive to interviewers or the admissions committee, I doubt either of these would make anyone jump out of their chair. Although you may be able to bring back some unique stories from being on your own in there Netherlands.

Reactions: 1 user