Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinzlvr1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have been planning out my schedule and I was wondering when a good time to study abroad will be. Obviously with corona rampant now, I was hoping to study abroad my senior year (in fall 2021- spring 2022). That being said, I plan on applying to medical school the summer before my senior year and hope to be done with secondaries and everything by august/september (i think that's how it works I'm not sure). I was just wondering when interviews are? Would they be during fall semester or spring? I didn't want to study abroad when interviews would be.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend studying abroad at all during your senior year if you plan on applying the summer before it. You pretty much have equal likelihood of getting interviews in the fall (Sep-Dec) vs in the spring (Jan-Mar), and so it's not a good idea to be out of the country.

That said, if you're going to do one, my guess is that fall would be best bc if you get an II, you can request to push it to spring whereas if you're gone in the spring and you get an II in january, there aren't any options for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat -- what about virtual interviews though? SInce COVID has made everything virtual already, do you think admissions will be more accommodating of virtual interview requests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Like fish has said, you will be receiving interviews during the time you would be abroad which would not be good at all. Obviously if things are virtual that could possibly work but I wouldn't count on it. I would just plan some kind of vacation after the cycle is over or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Like fish has said, you will be receiving interviews during the time you would be abroad which would not be good at all. Obviously if things are virtual that could possibly work but I wouldn't count on it. I would just plan some kind of vacation after the cycle is over or something.
This^^^^. If the situation is so bad that interviews are still virtual, exactly what would be the benefit of traveling overseas for study abroad? If not, I would not take for granted the opportunity of electing a virtual interview, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea even if you could, if other people are given the opportunity to interview in person.

JMHO as a future applicant, but I would NEVER plan on being out of the country during my application cycle. If you have your heart set on studying abroad, you should plan on a gap year when you return and apply then.