Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJS27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any predents who managed to study abroad while still finishing all of the pre-reqs for dental school. Is this even possible due to the fact that pre-req classes usually take up both semesters and would dental school even accept coursework from a foreign institution? If any one has any information and know of any good programs please let me know! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I spent my last year at the University of Syndey on an exchange program and still graduated in 3 years. It was a huge asset to my application because I showed I could be successful at a different University and I did a lot of research and lab work there just because the program was so focused on it, which was helpful as well. Oh, I also took pottery making.....good for them hand skills. I did get ahead in my two years at UCSB by doing summer school and getting all of my prereqs out of the way, so that by the time I went abroad I had finished ALL of my dental prereqs (chem, ochem, phys, bio, calc, english, psych etc) and MOST (minus biochem) of the requirements for my major. I did that because I have heard horror stories about classes not fulfilling requirements etc. So I would say if you plan in advance, GO FOR IT!!! It looks great for DS and is an amazing opportunity.

i couldn't agree more with sfpredent. there was nothing that remotely compared to my experience abroad.

as far as finishing the prereqs, i'm an engineering major, but still managed to finish the prereqs for d-school and miss 2 quarters of school for study abroad and i was fine. in fact, during study abroad, none of my classes even applied to my major or the prereqs, they were just breadth classes, art history. and i never took summer school either, and i still finished in 4 years...so it is MORE than possible.

in my opinion, most people don't take advantage of this great opportunity. when will you ever have the chance to live in another country for any extended period of time. man, i wish dental schools that more experiences like this.

in fact, i will go to the extent of saying that it would've been worth an extra year of school. you're only young once, enjoy your youth.

and like sfpredent said, it makes great discussion during interviews (although in no way was that the reason that i went abroad).

so definitely go abroad. and in my biased opinion, go to roma...you'll love it!

Study abroad if you can! You'll remember that experience forever.

Be sure to research schools because some require science pre-requisites to be done at a US college/university (example: UIC)