Study Abroad Credits - Do I include them at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiscoverWeakly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at past study abroad threads, I didn't see this issue addressed...

During my Junior year, I studied abroad via a 3rd party platform not directly affiliated with any US university. When returning, all of the classes were accepted by my home University, but appear as 'transfer' credits on my transcript and do not include grades.

The AADSAS website states: "If your full credits and/or grades for study abroad courses do not appear on your undergraduate transcript, you should report that you attended a foreign institution. You do not need to list your courses under the foreign schools as we do not allow foreign coursework to be recorded. Do not send any documentation unless an evaluation is required by a program that you're applying to"

So, my question is, when inputting my courses/grades, all I should do is indicate that I studied at a foreign institution? Then those 15 (ish) credits simply won't be included at all in my total completed credits and won't effect my GPA?
I'll still have more than enough credits, but I want to avoid any delays when submitting later this year.

I did also take a Spanish course via a study abroad program, but it was directly through my home uni, so that seems pretty simply as I just need to indicate that it was a study abroad as the course and grade shows on my official transcript...

Members don't see this ad.

Do these foreign credits contribute to your bachelor's degree? If not, then you don't have to include them. I have the same issue: studied in another country for 3 years, come to the US, started from scratch in a completely different field. My foreign credits are not included in my degree so the AADSAS don't care about them, schools I'm going to apply to don't care either.

https://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/...ol_ADEA_AADSAS/2018ADEAAADSASInstructions.pdf

Page 9.

Basically you need to include all courses from U.S and Canadian schools as they only ask for transcripts from those 2 countries. If your study abroad experience was part of your U.S or Canadian university then you need to report those classes and grades.

If it is a foreign university, they don't need them since they will not record foreign transcripts

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do these foreign credits contribute to your bachelor's degree? If not, then you don't have to include them.
These credits did contribute to my bachelors. None of the classes specifically toward a major/minor, simply filling electives/random generals
But like Prince Africa mentioned, my program was not directly associated with a US/Canadian Institution, so I will not include them. Honestly, it makes it easier! ha. One less transcript to request!

Thanks for the reply!

These credits did contribute to my bachelors. None of the classes specifically toward a major/minor, simply filling electives/random generals
But like Prince Africa mentioned, my program was not directly associated with a US/Canadian Institution, so I will not include them. Honestly, it makes it easier! ha. One less transcript to request!

Thanks for the reply!
I was told by ADEA that you need ALL credits that contributed to your degree (even if it's just electives and gen ed) from ALL countries. They won't verify your degree unless you provide all transcripts.