Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owen_osh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really like to try to study abroad during the spring semester, but I'm not sure if it's really feasible because of interviews. What do you all think?

Also, if anyone could comment on experiences in Spanish speaking countries I would really appreciate it. Right now, I'm considering either Spain, Mexico, Chile, Puerto Rico, Argentina, and Cuba.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Bump - I was thinking the same thing, does anyone have any experiences/suggestions?

I can't be of a lot of assistance, but I wanted to make one suggestion- maybe you could consider a volunteer abroad opportunity rather than study abroad. These are generally more flexible with time requirements and such (you can go for only a month or two rather than a whole semester), and may be less expensive as well, if that is an issue for you. If your interest is mainly in traveling and learning about another country vs. specifically attending a foreign university, this may be a good option, and you can also interact with the people and culture in a different way and make more of a positive impact than you might if you are just studying there. Since I gather from your post that you have applied this year and are anticipating interviews in the spring, this could allow you to travel in a foreign country without worrying about taking a whole semester out of your life.

I am leaving in a week for Quito, Ecuador, for a one-month program arranged through a non-profit group that sends medical and pre-med students to developing nations to observe their medical systems. The program arranges a homestay, language classes, and rotations in local hospitals and clinics where you basically shadow the doctors there and assist in a limited fashion. I was also originally planning to study abroad, but timing and finances were serious barriers to participating in any of my school's programs, so this way I can still travel and learn about another language and culture (as well as see their medical system up close) without putting off my application to med school next year or going into serious debt. I'd be happy to tell you more if you have any questions, good luck with your application and in deciding what you want to do!

Members don't see this ad :)
My best friend from undergrad had the time of his life during his semester in Costa Rica...you might want to consider going there, too.

I say go to Australia. It rules.

Mistress,

What is the name of the program you are doing? I was looking for something like that. It would fit in great since I am taking a year off before applying. Thanks.

Hey Mistress S,

Actually, the program your talking about sounds kind of neat. If you could give me more details I would really appreciate it. Do they have a website?

im thinking of doing the same...going to australia most likely. Im hoping since the Australia program starts relatively late....late february, early march..that interviews and all that will be over with. Everyone I know has said that going abroad has been one of the greatest experiences of their lives... it just seems like something i dont wanna miss out on while im young.

Hi, the program I am going on is through an organization called Child Family Health International. Their website address is www.cfhi.org if you want to check it out- they have programs in India, Africa, and Mexico as well as Ecuador (although some require more language proficiency or only take med students). The application process is relatively easy and it's not too expensive (~$1500 for a one month program, which at least at my school is much cheaper than any of the study abroad options). It's funny that so many people mention studying abroad in Australia- that's what I was planning to do until I found out about this program and realized it would work a lot better for me. I'm still hoping to travel to Australia and New Zealand next year, if I can save the money. But I'm really looking forward to going to Ecuador- I can't believe it's only a week away!
Anyway, if anyone wants to know anything else I'd be happy to help, although I can probably be of more assistance after I get back at the end of September and can give more info about what the actual program experience is like and not just the application process.

There is always the option of studying abroad during the summer - I spent six weeks in Austria after junior year.

No no, it's Austr*al*ia, not Austria. Don't be fooled everyone.

Silly peabody.

:D

:mad: :mad: :mad:

AUSTRIA! OSTERREICH!

But nearly anywhere is Australia has to be more fun than Innsbruck, i.e. don't follow in my footsteps to the land of the anschluss :p

I wish i had the chance to study a brod. =)