Study: Doctors Limited in Rx Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the news story for today boys and girls.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- With abuse of prescription drugs growing rapidly, many doctors and pharmacists say they have received limited training in dealing with pain-relievers, stimulants, tranquilizers and other controlled prescription drugs.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/st...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2005-07-07-20-49-02

Members don't see this ad.

my only comment is now they have to be specific on the prescription drugs? They have some sort of training once you get your DEA# do they not? If they aren't certain, shouldn't they ask?

Additionally, electronic record systems would help those who seek out drugs at multiple locations. And HMO's can control what primary docs you see. There are safegards against it but more likely than not, are they are diverted from those people who actually use them?

I love these short descript articles that tell you nothing. This has been a problem for a while and was something I even brought up as a problem in the profession itself as well.

Interesting article nonetheless. Thanks SJ.

From my time working in a pharmacy, I can see where it might be true. While the pharmacists are very knowledgeble about controlled substances esp CII's, we did run into a guy the other day who had just graduated med school and was going to be starting his residency or something. Anyways he was in there to write a prescription for Ibuprofen for his gf or something, like 800mg, and all he wrote on the script was Ibuprofen. He didn't put dosage, or amount, or sig (directions), or refills. My pharmacist had to sit there and tell him what to do. You'd think after 4 years of med school, he would have been taught SOMETHING about writing a script, seeing as it is a pretty daily thing that doctors do. Anyways, just thought I would share. :scared: