Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP also has likely never been on amphetamines. I have diagnosed ADHD, and amphetamines did nothing but make me a zombie. I didn't even focus better, I just kind of lost some part of my personality I can't quite describe, resulting in a complete inability to carry on conversations and a total loss of my sense of humor. Amphetamines aren't some magic pill that turns you into some kind of genius superhuman. They just amplify alertness, and not always in a good way.I had an EEG, MRI, several psychometric testing sessions with a clinical psychologist and a neuropsychologist (including IQ tests, tests of visuospatial reasoning, etc.), multiple questionnaires filled out by different teachers and several years of attempts with one-on-one occupational therapy and behavioral modification. I then failed Straterra treatment (well, I am told it helped a little but nowhere near enough), before I finally got prescribed Ritalin.
I get that my experience might be slightly more intense than most, but still . . . It wasn't like "Wahh! I can't concentrate!" "Okay, here's Ritalin."