Study Groups Or On Your Own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Your Study Method.

• STUDY IN STUDY GROUPS

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • STUDY BY YOURSELF

Votes: 82 84.5%

• Total voters

priyanka

Neuro-tic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys prefer to study in study groups or all by yourself?

PS:- Do not worry. People won't call you a gunner if you do prefer studying by yourself, because the definition of a gunner is different- everyone studying by themself is not a gunner.

Members don't see this ad.

By yourself.

Unless you can manage to get into a group that has equal knowledge or slightly more knowledge than yourself it is unproductive.

In general I prefer to study by myself. I like to study at my own pace and most people I have studied with tend to annoy me because they are too easily distracted and waste time.

I like group work to though. Nothing helps you master material better than trying to teach/explain it to someone else (I was a TA for a year and found that only after doing that did I even truly understand half of the material, even though I did well the first time around).

Members don't see this ad :)
Fermata said:
By yourself.

Unless you can manage to get into a group that has equal knowledge or slightly more knowledge than yourself it is unproductive.

:thumbup:

I like to study by myself initially in order to at least gain a basic understanding of the material. That way I can contribute to the group in a meaningful and productive way and be able to correct those that might be confused (rather than having them confuse me, or vice versa).

I don't like studying with other people. I get so much more done on my own.

As a non-trad, I found I almost had to study by myself, because I have to take care of my son too. But when feasible, I will try to have people over to my house to study. When I get into med school, I will try to study with people, as well as alone, because I know there's no way I could possibly understand everything on my own. There's just too much material, and outside knowledge will be helpful for me.

study alone for real test-the-next-day studying
study in groups for chillin out/socializing studying

i study by myself when i'm trying to get through a bunch of new material.

if it's more of a review type thing, then groups can be a fun way to diffuse the stress and get a little bit done.

stoic said:
i study by myself when i'm trying to get through a bunch of new material.

if it's more of a review type thing, then groups can be a fun way to diffuse the stress and get a little bit done.

That's how I study as well. If I'm seriously studying, I need to do it by myself. However, if I'm reviewing the night before an exam, it's nice and often beneficial to receive input from fellow students.

I usually study by myself because Im a chatter box when it comes to sitting ina group, I kinda ruin the whole "studying" atmosphere...Usually, group study only lasts max 1 hour and then after that its all socializing.

I actually prefer studying in groups, it actually finally comes down to selecting the rightt group.

If I study by my self i get rather bored...
for our groups it works like this...each person reads the whole chapter and comes to the study sessions, and then each person is responsible for teaching his part to the rest of us on the whiteboard...if someone notcies that he/she missed something then the other person can add in...then we try making associations with our lecture notes...we have our libraries open till 1 at nite and tons of group study rooms, so eerverything works well, only thing i had to have my parents agree on the fact that am gonna be out tat late :eek:
it works out very well and we formed groups at the subject workshops, so everyone's serious!
so the OP (me) votes for group study!

There should be an option for people who do both. I prefer to study on my own first and then work with a group as a final step of my studying.