Exposure to diverse groups prompt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pico25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a secondary that says: "Please explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked, or were exposed to diverse backgrounds. Please describe the impact the experience had on you."

The response I have written is about how I was a substitute teacher in a low income, Latino neighborhood and I had problems with crazy misbehavior. I talked about how I realized yelling and threats worked only for a little bit, but that engaging the troublemakers by giving them tasks, and praising them when they did well worked much better.

I'm wondering if this is a good answer or not. I'm more in an authoritative position rather than a cooperative position which I'm not sure reflects well.

The thing is I have a lot of experience with co-workers from diverse backgrounds (lots of immigrants in labs from India, China, Japan, Poland, Hungary, Ireland, Germany etc.) The thing is, the fact that they were born and raised abroad really didn't have an impact on our interactions. We were working together in a lab, and I really don't see how our relationship would have differed that much if they had been raised in the US.

Members don't see this ad.