Study Habits MS-1 for high step score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melkor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you who have taken step 1 and received a good to high score (235+), I was just wondering what your average study habits were during first year? I'm sure with all the med schools having started or just starting classes this year, a lot of ms1's are also curious about this as well. Basically, how many hours per day or per week do you think you spent studying (good studying, not talking to people in group studies/facebooking/anything else). I know its different for everyone but I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I should be shooting for in order to be well prepared for ms-2 so I have a good foundation for where the diseases stem from etc. Also, did you every use basic step-1 study guides (aside from FA-GT comes to mind) which correlated with the system you were on which may not have particularly helped in class, but gave you a better understanding later on? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First year: about 3-4 solid hours of studying per day, weekends off. Second year: at least 7-8 hours per day, often including 1-2 days on weekends.

For all of you who have taken step 1 and received a good to high score (235+), I was just wondering what your average study habits were during first year? I'm sure with all the med schools having started or just starting classes this year, a lot of ms1's are also curious about this as well. Basically, how many hours per day or per week do you think you spent studying (good studying, not talking to people in group studies/facebooking/anything else). I know its different for everyone but I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I should be shooting for in order to be well prepared for ms-2 so I have a good foundation for where the diseases stem from etc. Also, did you every use basic step-1 study guides (aside from FA-GT comes to mind) which correlated with the system you were on which may not have particularly helped in class, but gave you a better understanding later on? Thanks

you're not asking the right question. the amount of time spent studying will be highly variable from school to school and from person to person depending on your baseline knowledge.

my school is on a traditional curriculum the first year and a systems based curriculum second year so these suggestions might not directly apply to you but this is what i thought were the most important things first year:
1. learn how to study efficiently. find what works for you. it takes a lot of trial and error. some people can read a textbook and know every detail they read while others have to do many questions ...its all about figuring out how you learn
2. realize that some of your classmates may be smarter or better prepared for med school and stop comparing yourself and feeling inferior
3. realize that first and second year grades don't matter as long as you're passing. definitely try your absolute best but sometimes the difference between a high pass and honors isn't worth it. if you're not honoring everything it doesn't really matter if you honor anything and honoring everything takes such consistent hard work, dedication and prior preparation that many don't have.

you're not asking the right question. the amount of time spent studying will be highly variable from school to school and from person to person depending on your baseline knowledge.

my school is on a traditional curriculum the first year and a systems based curriculum second year so these suggestions might not directly apply to you but this is what i thought were the most important things first year:
1. learn how to study efficiently. find what works for you. it takes a lot of trial and error. some people can read a textbook and know every detail they read while others have to do many questions ...its all about figuring out how you learn
2. realize that some of your classmates may be smarter or better prepared for med school and stop comparing yourself and feeling inferior
3. realize that first and second year grades don't matter as long as you're passing. definitely try your absolute best but sometimes the difference between a high pass and honors isn't worth it. if you're not honoring everything it doesn't really matter if you honor anything and honoring everything takes such consistent hard work, dedication and prior preparation that many don't have.

Actually this is spot on!
#1 is key especially since you will find that first year serves as a baseline for difficulty (in terms of amt to study). So if you figure out early on what approach works best for you then that will make your transitions that much easier.