Study in Sweden???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edenbook85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i need some advice.

I just got into to 3 masters programs in sweden and im having trouble desiding which one to pick. also if there are any disadvantages to getting a masters degree from sweden or if medschools frown on it, please let me know. here are the 3 programs i have to choose from. any information on any of these three programs or the schools would help me alot!!

1. Masters program in Biomedine from Karolinska Institut(2 years)

2. Masters program in public health from Lund University(2 years)

3. Masters program in Global Health from Karolinska Institute(one year)

Members don't see this ad.

i need some advice.

I just got into to 3 masters programs in sweden and im having trouble desiding which one to pick. also if there are any disadvantages to getting a masters degree from sweden or if medschools frown on it, please let me know. here are the 3 programs i have to choose from. any information on any of these three programs or the schools would help me alot!!

1. Masters program in Biomedine from Karolinska Institut(2 years)

2. Masters program in public health from Lund University(2 years)

3. Masters program in Global Health from Karolinska Institute(one year)

What do you think? Why didn't you apply to American schools?

How are Master's degrees 2 years? Isn't a European PhD 3 years? (usually all research, no classes?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Global Health in Sweden - especially if you have some logical connection to the country - would be interesting and certainly not harmful to a med school app.

Living overseas (from the U.S.) can really inform a person's ideas, which can translate into pretty cogent arguments for why you belong in a med school class.

Swedish master program has one big advantage: it's free.
When the master program (i mean the biomedine program) was introduced I thought the master programs should me pore popular the first year, but it wasn't. It think its very good anyway. And it's a way to get an easy exam from KI.

Go ahead and do it if you have the resources and patience. I'm sure it would be a great experience for you. As far as getting into an American MD program, I'm sure this would make you "stand out" among the others.

I was considering doing something similar too for a bit, but it isn't so easy. While school in Sweden is free, even for non-Swedes, you also have to remember that you'll need to support yourself. The standard of living in Sweden is VERY high - one of the highest in the world. While you won't be paying tuition, you'll certainly be accruing debt. It could, however, be worth your while.

"2. Masters program in public health from Lund University(2 years)"

Because Lund is much prettier than Solna:)

I don't think master's degree abroad would hurt your chances to get in to school in the US. However, it might not help your job prospects in the US much, should med school not work out (or in case it takes you a year or two to get in or something). So that is something to think about. Many master's programs in the US might be free too, or cheap if you get appointed as a TA, etc. If you are just looking to get a degree for the sake of your application to med school, then I would just go for the 1 year international medicine program. Whatever you choose, you need to have a good rationale for why you want to do it...if it's only so you get in med school, perhaps it would be better to stay in the US and work more on improving your application in other ways. However, if you do see global health as part of your career, then it might be worthwhile.

Study abroad would give you an interesting to talk about/write about in your med school interview/apps. Biomed, public health, global health are all related to healthcare in some way. Think about whether you want a one year vs a two year program, location and which subject interests you the most to help make your decision.

also, the commute back for the interviews may not be easy...

Does anyone out there have experience with this, this being an international experience during interview season?

But Karolinka (sp?) is better known in the biomedical community I feel... go ahead and argue, but thats just my feeling (oh, and I am biased towards Linkoping :D)

Sverige ar det basta som finns!!! (Sweden is the best!)

If you do go to any of these, I will be extremely jealous. I lived in Sweden for several years, and I loved it there. Someday I'm determined to go back and visit. I don't know much about either of these programs but I hope that it is a good experience for you if you decide to do it.

I'd vote for Karolinska. But, my reason is that I enjoy the Stockholm region.

Ar det nagon some kan svenska? (Does anyone speak swedish?)
(Obviously I don't have a swedish keyboard)

Sverige ar det basta som finns!!! (Sweden is the best!)

If you do go to any of these, I will be extremely jealous. I lived in Sweden for several years, and I loved it there. Someday I'm determined to go back and visit. I don't know much about either of these programs but I hope that it is a good experience for you if you decide to do it.

I'd vote for Karolinska. But, my reason is that I enjoy the Stockholm region.

Ar det nagon some kan svenska? (Does anyone speak swedish?)
(Obviously I don't have a swedish keyboard)

Jag talar svenska.

On windows you can set your keyboard diffrent languages the option is somewhere under the control panel. For swedish ö=; ä=' [ =å.

Hej då.

Jag talar svenska.

On windows you can set your keyboard diffrent languages the option is somewhere under the control panel. For swedish ö=; ä=' [ =å.

Hej då.

Ja så? Är du svensk då?

Tack för typsen, förrestan.

swedish women are ridiculously hot

If one was granted, I would probably defer two years of med school to get a masters in Stockholm-- Mostly because of the above reason

take it to private chat...

Why do you want to do this? I'm all for living abroad as I think it's an incredible experience that everyone should have, but are you getting the masters because it is a degree that will interest you or just because you think it seems like a cool idea? It will help your med school prospects, but it's not gonna make a world of difference in your application. If your reason for doing it is to have a better shot at med school, there are far easier/better ways to accomplish this goal than doing a 2 year international masters. If it's because you actually want the 2 year international masters then I think it's an absolutely great idea.

To the original question:
Both of those schools are highly respected in Sweden and the rest of Europe. No school in the US is going to frown on them, so I wouldn't worry about that. As others have already said, examine your own reasons for getting the degrees since grad degrees don't add any huge boost to your med school app no matter where they are from.

I just studied abroad in Sweden this past summer for a year. What a great experience/ plus the ladies are nice too...Anyway No doubt about it choose the Karolinska route either one. The committee for the Nobel prizes meets there; it is highly respected. I went there and it is beautiful and tons to do. I would highly recommend it.

Nej, men jeg taler lit dansk:D Jeg arbejder i kobenhavn for 2 ar.

hmmm... I think I'm really rusty...