SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

study in the US practice in Canada?

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by shirin, Mar 3, 2007.

1. shirin

shirin

Jan 21, 2007
    Can an optometrist studied in the US practice in Canada?
    Are there any specific exams they have to take?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chrissystar

chrissystar 2+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Canada
    Yes - as far as Im concerned, Canadians have to write the Canadian boards to get back into Canada.

4. Squint

Squint Squint 7+ Year Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    There were 60 U.S. educated students writing the Canadian Boards this year or 42% of the total. Go to the following web site to see their results vs. Canadian students and to get further information.

http://www.ceo-eco.org/csao_results_2006.asp

5. chrissystar

Nov 9, 2006
    Canada

wow!!!! this is really helpful - now if only they had one of these for american schools!

6. Squint

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Yes , that would be helpful - but this is really all that is relevent for a Canadian student planning to return to Canada to practise. You can see the areas where U.S. students are weaker and plan steps to compensate. It is not that Waterloo is a better school - it's just tougher to get into.

7. chrissystar

Nov 9, 2006
    Canada
    Why do you think most Canadians choose ICO, NECO and PCO?

8. fonziefonz

fonziefonz 7+ Year Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Two reasons:
    1) Closer to Canada
    2) They accept more Canadians than other schools

9. Squint

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    State (public) schols are funded by U.s. taxpayers and restrict foreign students for obvious reasons. To the private schools - money is money - and they take more Canadians if they have the marks and are competitive.

10. xmattODx

xmattODx Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2003
    And teaches directly to the CSAO. You'd be surprised at some of the strange clinical procedures that they had us do. I'd never heard of them so had to remember to do somethings differently than I was taught in the US. Scope of practice is also different in Canada so Waterloo concentrates on different components of optometry than do US schools. That said it really isn't that difficult to pass the CSAO as an American grad.

11. stonegoat

stonegoat 5+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2007
    To practice in Canada, as already stated, you will need to pass the Canadian Boards as well as whatever provincial exam is required. The training of Waterloo students gears them towards the Canadian Boards, thus they do well. The Canadian Boards exams are VERY poor quality with dated concepts and pharmacology. Waterloo is always so proud of the pass rates of its students, but if you receive you education in most US schools you will get much more excellent clinical experience. As an example, a Canadian educated OD doing her residency at my school in the US only saw ONE case of diabetic retinopathy before she graduated from OD school. Third year students at my school (including myself) were always teaching her pathology.
    My point is, if you are educated in the US don't be intimidated by the Canadian Boards...you will pass if you study and you will find yourself very well prepared for delivering eye health care to your patients.

JP