Study material for the DAT (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGreatPianist

Reaction score
I'm a recent graduate (Neuroscience major) and will be applying to dental school next year. In undergrad I went through all the major science courses (Biol, Chem, Orgo, Physics). I have about 4 months before my DAT and just wanted to confirm if i'm using the right resources before I carry on:

1. DATBootcamp
Heard tons of amazing things about bootcamp and i'm planning to use it as my primary resource. So far I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but will be buying it 90 days before my DAT for practice tests.

2. DATDestroyer
I'm currently half way done going through the book and will go over it one more time before jumping to Bootcamp to do practice tests.

3. PATBooster
All of my friends who used it seamed to have gotten amazing scores 24+ on the PAT recently. So far, i've been using Booster for the last 3 weeks to practice for the PAT section but since it's new i'm using this only to get my feet wet before diving into bootcamp.

I'm not sure if I should add more resources. I'm considering purchasing CracktheDAT too since a lot of dental students are telling me that's what they used but I don't hear too much information about it on SDN. And if it helps, i'm planning to follow Ari's schedule when I go through DATBootcamp once i'm done going through DATDestroyer and PATBooster.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I see nothing wrong with your approach. Bootcamp has a lot of material and going through everything diligently and learning it will set you up to do well. Both Bootcamp and Destroyer have an in-depth set of biology notes as well for learning content.

If you want to try out CrackTheDAT, feel free to do so, but I personally think that the 3 resources you have are good. I personally think it's better to use a couple of good resources and learn them well than multiple good resources but not using each to their full potential.

Hello there, current DS1 here.

It looks like you're on the right track with your resources. If it were me I would recommend adding Chad's videos to the mix as I think they are extremely helpful for Gen-chem and O-chem. I found DAT Bootcamp to have the best tests all around, and thought that it was a perfectly comprehensive material for doing well on the PAT.

I purchased both CrackTheDAT and DAT Destroyer and neither ended up being major materials I used. Don't be worried about DAT Destroyer though, it's a great resource.

(Link Removed by esob for inappropriate advertising)
Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think those materials will work great for you if you use them to their fullest! I used DAT Bootcamp for pretty much everything. PAT booster wasn't around when I took my test but after checking it out it seems like a great tool. CrackTheDAT might be okay but I don't think you need it. Once you get Bootcamp you'll see.. Mike's videos + the biology notes + the internet should cover all your bases for the sciences. You can access the biology notes right now without subscribing, in fact! Once you master all their practice tests, I think that should be enough. I quickly just checked out the CrackDAT website and it seems hella gimmicky to me, and the sample videos seem inefficient. It might actually be a waste of time to bother with them for content review. If you are dying for more practice tests, then I might consider buying the Pro version. If there is a particular section you want extra practice for and want to avoid repeat questions from Bootcamp, DATqVault might be good to look at. I bought their RC and PAT tests, for example. I think you are on the right track, just keep it up and master the materials in front of you! You'll do great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a recent graduate (Neuroscience major) and will be applying to dental school next year. In undergrad I went through all the major science courses (Biol, Chem, Orgo, Physics). I have about 4 months before my DAT and just wanted to confirm if i'm using the right resources before I carry on:

1. DATBootcamp
Heard tons of amazing things about bootcamp and i'm planning to use it as my primary resource. So far I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but will be buying it 90 days before my DAT for practice tests.

2. DATDestroyer
I'm currently half way done going through the book and will go over it one more time before jumping to Bootcamp to do practice tests.

3. PATBooster
All of my friends who used it seamed to have gotten amazing scores 24+ on the PAT recently. So far, i've been using Booster for the last 3 weeks to practice for the PAT section but since it's new i'm using this only to get my feet wet before diving into bootcamp.

I'm not sure if I should add more resources. I'm considering purchasing CracktheDAT too since a lot of dental students are telling me that's what they used but I don't hear too much information about it on SDN. And if it helps, i'm planning to follow Ari's schedule when I go through DATBootcamp once i'm done going through DATDestroyer and PATBooster.

Any help would be great, thanks!
Good luck, you are on the right track!