Study Materials For Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geek101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am just about to start my internship in FM. what study books or materials do residents use during residency to stay up to date and also prepare for the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with @teacherman84 -- search the threads -- but also consider this: You probably won't get set blocks of instruction unless your residency has really done some work -- most of the learning is on the fly, hopefully by working with attendings who can actually teach and are not just good at what they do --- part of this is you mastering how to learn and be comfortable when there's no set piece solutions/cookbook medicine -- this is what separates you from PAs/NPs --- so, consider reading around your patient encounters. Every day you should pick one patient and go read the latest literature about those patient complaints -- example: DM -- go read DiFranzo's latest paper, make sure you know the latest in DM, what are the complications and allowable screening studies (i.e. can you get an ABI paid for to look for the start of vascular disease in the lower extremity), etc. --- next day, pick another patient and go research their complaints....you can also read the AAFP journal from cover to cover each month -- if you're not reading at least 30 minutes a day total, you're behind the curve....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I asked because i have seen so many recommendations as far back as 2007 and wanted to know which one of them to settle for and was the best. Thanks for all your suggestions

Does anyone use textbooks anymore?
I'm a book person although I use uptodate as well since it's current. I like pocket medicine since it gives you the workup for specific problems. I like Ferri (author) for a good pocket internal medicine side kick.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a book person although I use uptodate as well since it's current. I like pocket medicine since it gives you the workup for specific problems. I like Ferri (author) for a good pocket internal medicine side kick.

Thanks! Do ppl use books like Harrison's/Nelson's/Williams for at home studying?

Thanks! Do ppl use books like Harrison's/Nelson's/Williams for at home studying?

Recall that by the time a book is published, the information is 5 years old. Fundamental learning in med school and then in residency --ok; Sometimes, I'll drag out Robbins to recall some basics that I've probably forgotten I'm not investing the money in a book when I've got trade journals and UpToDate -- unless I just can't recall the fundamentals.....you do forget what you don't use....

Recall that by the time a book is published, the information is 5 years old. Fundamental learning in med school and then in residency --ok; Sometimes, I'll drag out Robbins to recall some basics that I've probably forgotten I'm not investing the money in a book when I've got trade journals and UpToDate -- unless I just can't recall the fundamentals.....you do forget what you don't use....
Thank you!

Doubtful. By the time your day is done you don't study at home. At least I know I didn't with 2 kids and home things to to. I think I have touched a Harrison's once, don't know what the other two are.

Doubtful. By the time your day is done you don't study at home. At least I know I didn't with 2 kids and home things to to. I think I have touched a Harrison's once, don't know what the other two are.
Peds and Ob/Gyn texts --- supposed to read them in medical school/residency -- I never did -- by the time I was at that point in 3rd year, I figured out that everything I needed to know was in Case Files -- everything else, I'd look up on the fly.....and promptly forget after boards....

Thank you. I asked because i have seen so many recommendations as far back as 2007 and wanted to know which one of them to settle for and was the best. Thanks for all your suggestions

Everyone thinks the book they use to study from is the best. What happens is people end that look for the "best" book end up with 10 books, all with the same information and a total of 2-3 chapters actually read from them. My suggestion is to find what works best for you and stick with it. I don't have time for books...plus it is 2017 and the world wide webs is chalked full of information. I have 3-4 sites that I use on a daily basis and rotate between them depending on the type of information I am looking for.

Reactions: 2 users