Study materials second time around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuroichigo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken the MCAT once, got a decent score but am hoping for 5+ points of improvement for a July 2nd exam so I believe I have sufficient time.

I was just confused as to how studying materials would work the second time. I will be using the same books and more for the concepts, but I feel as if I have ran out of books to use for test questions. I did the entire Princeton Hyperlearning book with questions from all categories. Also, I went through the Priceton passages and through 5-6 of the official MCAT practice exams online. I will use the remaining ones, but I was wondering what everybody else suggests to get more practice problems and examples in once I complete all my concept studying.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently, people really like the Gold Standard exams. I haven't used them though. You might think about the EK 1001 books for more discrete if you want something intermediate between your content review and full lengths.

OP: You need passages and want to have a better understanding of the exam and material. The obvious choice is TBR. Look at SN2ed's study tips thread for details.

I used Gold Standard for the Bio and Physical.
For verbal, I used EK101.
My MCAT score improved by 6 points, 23 -> 29.
I have also found a few schools who will take my highest scores of each section ->31
I hope this helps.
If you are suffering from verbal, you must utilize the EK101 method. Very helpful, as it helped me jump from a 4->9 on verbal. It is stressful, but it will help you. If you do not understand why an answer is, you must try to understand it. Reviewing your answers and questions will be the longest portion of the studying.
Because I was able to get verbal down, and now have a mentor a DO mentor. I have a chance at low ranking US MD, US DO, and SGU (1 carb school that I am applying to)

I thought the hyperlearning verbal passages could have been better, but the science discrete questions were fantastic.

Thanks a lot everyone!

whizplusdum: Great improvement! I am using that method right now for verbal and really want to nail it down so I can get the big improvement. I will look into Gold Standard since it seems to be big here.