Study Method: Subjects or Systems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chris421

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that are done with step 1 and also those who are in the proccess, would you suggest studying by subjects (e.g. biochem, path, physio) or trough organ Systems (cardio, renal, etc) ??

any kind of advice would be helpful, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I did pharmacology separately, but the rest by system. However, I do not think it matters: just do whatever feels good to you.

By the way, are you a pre-medical student or is your setting off?

personally i am doing subjects first (all M1 stuff) and then systems (mostly M2 stuff). i have forgotten a ton of the material from first year, so I really needed a refresher and didn't want to dive in without getting my basics back in line

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most students study the way the material was presented to them in school. So mostly covering the basic science topics like biochem, immuno and then hitting each system from anatomy, phys, path, to pharm-like how first aid is set up. Just do whatever makes sense to you.

Our administration recommends that we do it by subject rather than by system. I was pretty skeptical at the time but the reasoning makes sense (and it worked well for me). If you do everything by subject, you will run across important topics multiple times and will be more familiar with them. I specifically asked our board prep lady because at the time it made sense to do it by system since that is the way it was taught at our school.

FWIW this person who does our board stuff does a good amt of research on what works best for our students and she is a well known name in the world of USMLE prep.

Yeah it probably doesn't matter too much, people on this board are getting 260s studying by systems, you did well studying by subject. It's all a matter of organization, you have to learn all the material somehow.