Study Methods/Materials

Vagrant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I know that this question has been asked a bazillion times before...but I am in the very early stages in my studying for the OAT. I will have trouble affording the Kaplan class but have heard a lot of good things about their study materials. However, I cannot seem to find any review books, only practice exams. I've looked on ebay, Amazon, and the like. Is there a more comprehensive study book that Kaplan offers...because I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I know what you mean... All the books have practice questions and practice tests, but I feel like I hardly know the material. I took these classes, but I need some type of review of all the things I need to I know. I hear it's a waste of time to study...and it's better to just keep doing practice questions/tests. What does everyone else think? Is it best to review old textbooks or is there something online that you can get to study the actual material that will be ON the OAT? Is it worth it?

You're wrong. Sorry to sound so blunt. I took the OAT last year and I studied, but I studied the way your talking about (doing A LOT of exams). I took the test and got a 290 TS. So, I wouldn't do that. I am currently studying and taking practice exams and I'm ROCKING them. I feel 100000x more confident. I took the time and I believe it is paying off. This is how I'm doing it so far.....

2 weeks of Bio prep (I reviewed the big blue book and had to learn the Anatomy section of the test, since I haven't taken anatomy).

1 week of Gen Chem prep. It's been a year since my Chem II class, so I watched all of Chad's videos. Super Easy once you do that.

1 week of O' Chem prep. My last O' Chem course was in the summer, so I didn't have to prep has much, but I watched all of Chads Videos.

Next week: I plan to do Physics Prep (which I've noticed that Chad's Videos have). Then after that, 1 week of QR prep and I'm good to go. By taking a week per subject, I feel that I'm not rushing myself and I don't feel crammed. I'm taking notes as I go (I have roughly 15 pages of notes), and I'll review that when I'm finished with all of the subject. I know I do not have scores to post this time, but I am shocked at how much better prepared I am and all I'm doing is taking a couple of weeks to review. I'm not the smartest guy in my classes, but I'm definitly above avg when it comes down to it, and the first time I took the OAT, it was an eye opener! Luckily, I'll be able to pound it out this time!!

Expenses:
-Big blue Kaplan book was given to me (not sure of the cost of it), but I only used it for Bio.
-Chad's Video's. I believe they run about 30-40 bucks.

That's all I've spent. And trust me, it's worth it to spend more NOW and study the proper way than to spend $200+ on the OAT exam and than have to retake it.