Study Methods?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoknows87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
not sure if I'm just freaking out or I might be approaching this thing the wrong way, lets take this as an example I am using EK biology to do content review for Bio I read the chapter and take notes while reading jotting down what I think is important+ what EK highlights in Gold ( must know for MCAT) I get to the short discrete questions hoping to get a 100% correct but I always get 2-3 wrong, I am having trouble recalling some facts that I just read like 30 minutes ago or so thats whats frustrating , sometimes I head over to chad videos/ Khan academy to watch a video on that specific lecture just to try and get the hang of it, but I end up learning more than what I need to actually know.. How do you make sure you don forget what you have studied ?

Members don't see this ad.

not sure if I'm just freaking out or I might be approaching this thing the wrong way, lets take this as an example I am using EK biology to do content review for Bio I read the chapter and take notes while reading jotting down what I think is important+ what EK highlights in Gold ( must know for MCAT) I get to the short discrete questions hoping to get a 100% correct but I always get 2-3 wrong, I am having trouble recalling some facts that I just read like 30 minutes ago or so thats whats frustrating , sometimes I head over to chad videos/ Khan academy to watch a video on that specific lecture just to try and get the hang of it, but I end up learning more than what I need to actually know.. How do you make sure you don forget what you have studied ?

Practice is really important for memorization of equations and concepts. Since you are using EK, you should do all the 30 minute tests in the back. In addition, if you want to spend a little more, I think its good to have a 1001 Physics/Chemistry/Organic chemistry book around. They give you a ton of discrete problems. Those have strings of like 5-10 questions asking similar questions that are testing the same concept/equation. Doing all the problems allows you to see a pattern, which I think is important for memorization.

Reading content is good, but its really passive learning and it is very boring compared to doing practice problems, in my experience. Also, just content reviewing is not going to show you what your weaknesses are, which is important to helping you improve your score.