Study on my own

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M.Furfur

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would do your own if your a structured person who has the discipline to do so.

If you're opposite, do the course.

Ditto to what Phlame217 said. If you're disciplined enough, go with studying on your own. The Examkracker books are a really good resource, and I assume you've still got your kaplan books too. Both sets should be plenty sufficient. But if you need some help with keeping on track and scheduling, then sign up for the class.

$400 is pretty cheap, but I'm assuming they wont be giving you new books or anything. Also consider the cost of purchasing the AAMC tests seperately and the test bank you would get from Kaplan. I think those alone might be worth near $400. And you can look at the classroom lecture schedule and go to days where you might need a little help.

Members don't see this ad :)
for the 400$ you will get new books and everything as though you have just enrolled in the class. Though, i found Examkrackers to be much more fun to read and to keep my attention. I realized kaplan was doing much for me, so started examkrackers.

If you have the diligence to really keep focused and study own your own, the course is useless. I never did the course and I only took the exam once.

I noticed from your mdapps that you did well on your MCAT. What practice tests did you do while preparing for the MCAT? Did you buy all the AAMC practice tests available?

I noticed from your mdapps that you did well on your MCAT. What practice tests did you do while preparing for the MCAT? Did you buy all the AAMC practice tests available?

Yes of course. It is unthinkable, in my opinion, to take the MCAT without doing all of the AAMC practice exams. I did 20 full length, timed exams before my MCAT.

Yes of course. It is unthinkable, in my opinion, to take the MCAT without doing all of the AAMC practice exams. I did 20 full length, timed exams before my MCAT.

Vihsadas you did extremely well, could you write up how you studied for the exam? I read your verbal one somewhere but what about the other sections?

Vihsadas you did extremely well, could you write up how you studied for the exam? I read your verbal one somewhere but what about the other sections?

I will be doing this eventually, but unfortunately 18 credits and a TA position is keeping me more than busy. I guess I'll take a second here to say 'sorry' to all those people that have private messaged me about taking the MCAT. I do my best to reply to those of you who have tried to contact me, but there's only so much I can fit in one day! Don't take it personally if I forgot to respond to you. :)

I wrote my MCAT last year after taking a kaplan class and I didn't do as well as I wanted. I was taking full course load along with the kaplan class and ended up only having one month and a half to study for the MCAT.
This year, things are slightly different, I have no course load but still have to work which will leave me like 3 months to study for the 10th of May exam.

After contacting Kaplan they offered me to repeat their course for 400$, however I am also considering buying the examkracker books and start studying on my own.
Does anyone have any advice?

I studied solely off the EK series, did a lot of practice tests, got a 36.

Definitely doable, and EKs are amazing.
p.s. don't get the practice books for EK. Maybe just get the verbal book. Doing the real practice tests are more helpful than the individual subject review problems.