Study Resources for NBME Final Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBoss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has NBME final exams when it comes to organ modules (i'm sure other schools do as well), but what I want to ask you guys is what resources you use to study for these exams? Do you stick to lecture content or do FA, pathoma or a mix of both?

Members don't see this ad.

See if your school library has a subscription to board question websites. You can choose organ systems there. E.g. I can access USMLeasy for free.

Reactions: 1 user
See if your school library has a subscription to board question websites. You can choose organ systems there. E.g. I can access USMLeasy for free.
I'm good on the questions, but all I need to know is if it's best to focus on lecture material vs FA/pathoma?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm good on the questions, but all I need to know is if it's best to focus on lecture material vs FA/pathoma?

Where do you get your questions from? My school will also be implementing NBMEs as final exams starting w/ our class.

Where do you get your questions from? My school will also be implementing NBMEs as final exams starting w/ our class.

Our school gives us a Kaplan QBank, but I also utilize UWorld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

questions count as study resources -shrug-

True, but what’s the point of doing questions if you don’t know the base knowledge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BigBoss I am going to side with tchotchke on this one, definitely do questions. DO NOT focus on your lectures if you only want a good NBME score. I would recommend something like Firecracker/first aid with Anki (use zanki deck selecting by subject) and something like BRS/Pre-test for more in depth.

Edit: I’m saying this because I do average or slightly above average in class exams, study for NBME exams from firecracker at the end of the semester and score 95+ percentile nationally every time. Just my personal experience juggling in-house with NBME prep.

Reactions: 2 users
My routine was to read and make flash cards from the relevant chapters from the following resources:
  1. Physio: Costanzo
  2. Embryo: High Yield Embryology
  3. Path: Pathoma videos, supplement with Goljan book as needed if there were topics covered in lecture that were not in Pathoma
  4. Micro: Sketchy
  5. Pharm: Sketchy
  6. And then wrap up with reading the First Aid chapter to review/synthesize everything, get useful mnemonics, catch any other info that might have been missed in other resources.
In the last week or two before exams I would do all Kaplan and USMLERx questions for that organ block, and re-do the ones I got wrong. I saved UWorld for dedicated time.
Did you feel Embryo: High Yield Embryology was worth the time? For how little embryo is weighted on most NBME exams?