Study Study Study...

Started by Brandie28
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Brandie28

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering how everyone is studying....are you studying one subject until you feel like you've mastered it and moving on to the next? Or are you studying a different subject everyday to keep everything fresh?? I am getting so stressed out 😱 because the August PCAT is coming sooner then I'd like! How is everyone feeling??
 
I'm taking the August PCAT also.

I'm using the Kaplan Book. I study 1-2 chapters a day, starting from the beginning all the way until the end. Then I take notes of the important topics covered in each chapter, and type and print out a copy. That way, I have a small study guide that I can use to refresh my memory of the main topics when the August PCAT gets nearer.

I'm finishing the Calculus section today and then moving into Chemistry. I'm also going to look at other Math and OrgoChem study material because the PCAT covers a lot in those 2 subjects.

I am pretty confident that I'll do well on the PCAT. I'd suggest finding a study plan that you can work with. Typing and making a study guide can seem pointless to some, but it has worked great for me in the past.
 
I'm going section by section. I've been using a lot of MCAT sources, esp for Chem and Reading Comp. It just sucks having to balance this against other commitments though, like work and classes.

I'm not spending too much time on making notes. Just want to get through everything highlighting the imp parts. I can always review what I have highlighted and anything the book has bolded or summarized.

I'm just nervous since some of my classes are taking time away from studying for the PCAT and I need this test to offset my poor GPA.
 
Ditto. August PCAT, Kaplan book. I am also going section by section and taking notes (repetition works well for me). I went section by section in the Kaplan book. Now I am just beginning to look at other books for math, ochem, and vocab.

Good luck everyone 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My method is to try to cover about 15 pages a day in one section at a time. I'm also using flashcards - writing down what I think is important information (definitions, concepts, formulas, etc...) and taking about 30 minutes of everyday to review the flashcards I have accumulated thus far.

Sorry guys, but I have to vent/complain/whine-
Does anyone else feel burnt out? In addition to worrying about this exam that essentially determines whether or not we get into pharmacy school (thus ultimately controlling our futures), we prospective pharmacy students already have a full plate – a rigorous pre-pharmacy curriculum, tech jobs where we are required to greet the horrible attitudes and general stupidity of ill-tempered patients with a smile, volunteer work that no one else is willing to do, and not to mention membership in clubs/organizations, research assignments, and various other extracurriculars. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m only 19… Isn’t this supposed to be the best time of my life?
 
My method is to try to cover about 15 pages a day in one section at a time. I'm also using flashcards - writing down what I think is important information (definitions, concepts, formulas, etc...) and taking about 30 minutes of everyday to review the flashcards I have accumulated thus far.

Sorry guys, but I have to vent/complain/whine-
Does anyone else feel burnt out? In addition to worrying about this exam that essentially determines whether or not we get into pharmacy school (thus ultimately controlling our futures), we prospective pharmacy students already have a full plate – a rigorous pre-pharmacy curriculum, tech jobs where we are required to greet the horrible attitudes and general stupidity of ill-tempered patients with a smile, volunteer work that no one else is willing to do, and not to mention membership in clubs/organizations, research assignments, and various other extracurriculars. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m only 19… Isn’t this supposed to be the best time of my life?

No need to apologize, almost everyone feels overwhelmed at times. Take breaks between your studies and learn to enjoy life too. But do stay focus and remember why you are working so hard in the first place.

If you know pharmacy is what you want to do, then all the studying you are doing today is all worth it. The hard work you put in today will no doubt increase your chances to receiving an interview letter or possibly your acceptance letter to pharmacy school.

lets keep studying hard...🙂
 
hah overwhelm, tell me that when you're literally stuck inside your house studying from basically 12pm-2am everyday with about 3-4 hour of break time spread out. Every ****ing day ever since school end, well that and class from 11-2pm on thurs and tues. At least I can say i'm studying for pcat during my class lol its calculus.
 
I'm basically working out of the Kaplan book, taking notes on things I don't know. Make a few flashcards from a GRE vocab book I had from taking that a year ago...I need to find a time to sit down for a long study period. The bio stuff has all really been review; I need some intense time to review Chem because its been 2 years since I took orgo.
 
I'm feeling burned out, but mostly because I'm taking 2 summer classes along with everything else. I'm studying for a math test right now as I type- well I guess I'm suppose to be studying...

RAMPHARMD, I'm also 19. Just think of it this way: We can have fun once we know we're in pharm school. Then when it starts, we'll get a whole new feeling of burned out! lol

 
7-8 hours. Easier said than done, I know. I study much more efficiently when I am well rested than if I am grumpy and fatigued, like right now 👎
 
My method is to try to cover about 15 pages a day in one section at a time. I'm also using flashcards - writing down what I think is important information (definitions, concepts, formulas, etc...) and taking about 30 minutes of everyday to review the flashcards I have accumulated thus far.

Sorry guys, but I have to vent/complain/whine-
Does anyone else feel burnt out? In addition to worrying about this exam that essentially determines whether or not we get into pharmacy school (thus ultimately controlling our futures), we prospective pharmacy students already have a full plate – a rigorous pre-pharmacy curriculum, tech jobs where we are required to greet the horrible attitudes and general stupidity of ill-tempered patients with a smile, volunteer work that no one else is willing to do, and not to mention membership in clubs/organizations, research assignments, and various other extracurriculars. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m only 19… Isn’t this supposed to be the best time of my life?

yeah sometimes i get that way when things are going bad. however, when i have a couple of weeks where i dont have to do much( the 1.5 weeks that i get out of school and take a vaca from work) i get kinda depressed. i dont know about you but i kinda like the heavy work load its a challenge and it beats waiting tables like all the ppl that didnt go to college are doing rignt now, i would rather spend 160 hours a week in a library that do that crap
 
Just wanted to pipe in to those of you who are very stressed and feeling like at 19 it should be the best time of your life...

Forgive the preaching, please, but hang in there. I'm 27 now, and finishing up grad school and then hopefully starting pharmacy school next year. I get stressed out now with all my commitments, just like I used to when I was 19. I worked like crazy then, and it paid off, but I was frustrated that I wasn't having the typical college experience at times. The best cure for that that I found: go out when you can and take advantage of those college experiences (even if you can't do nearly as much as the liberal arts majors!).

In most ways, I actually like my life better now than I did then, mostly because in the past 8 years, I got to make my life more like I wanted it to be. I learned how to handle stress more and to worry about what's important and not stress as much about what's not. I think it's horrible that we have this idea that college is the best time of your life. Don't shortchange the rest of your life. Any age can be the best time of your life.

And now I'm going to get off my soapbox and go back to studying for the PCAT. Good luck, everyone!
 
Same here! Im going through the Kaplan book (06-07 ed though) and have finished the chem and bio sections and typing notes for them. Im pretty good @ the math part but im so scared of the verbal! The words are so confusing! 🙁 I found a list of words used most often so im jst gonna skim through those a few times... its my first time taking it (8/23), so best of luck to everyone taking it!
 
Same here! Im going through the Kaplan book (06-07 ed though) and have finished the chem and bio sections and typing notes for them. Im pretty good @ the math part but im so scared of the verbal! The words are so confusing! 🙁 I found a list of words used most often so im jst gonna skim through those a few times... its my first time taking it (8/23), so best of luck to everyone taking it!

Please share those list of words with us! 🙂
 
Does anyone know how indepth o-chem is on the PCAT. I haven't taken O-chem, but had a introductory section at the end of my Chem II class. So, I'm familiar with the naming system and the basics, however, if I want to apply and get in for Fall 2010 that means I won't have the chance to take o-chem II but I will be able to take o-chem I. I was thinking of studying o-chem on my own.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am also taking the PCAT this Sat. I have only studied on CHem and Bio because I am really good at reading comp. and verbal. I have done a full practice test to see what I need ot work on and I definately need to work on CHEM!!!