Study technique experiences and books!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simmy

MD Stud.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess everyone here is on summer vacation/working now for the summer, but I thought I would try to do something to improve my learning skills during the summer. Last night I orderd two books from Amazon online:

-How to Become a Straight-A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real College Students Use to Score High While Studying Less

and

- Your Memory : How It Works and How to Improve It

Have any of you guys ever tried reading books like these? And did you get any good information out of it?

Im starting up the second year of a 6 year MD program in october. The first year I spent hours upon hours upon hours at the library studying making tons of notes. I knew I should cut down the hours spent studying and the notemaking and instead improve my studying technique instead, but I didnt really know how to do it, so I kept on doing what I was allready doing. I DID pass everything, but I felt I used alot more time than some of the other students that also passed. I really hope these books will help me.

Share your experience on studying techniques!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be the first to tell you that there are no magic books that will make you an efficient scholar. Largely, what got you into medical school will get you through with modifications for the volume. With that being said, summer vacation is a good time to practice with a new technique but don't "throw the child out with the bathwater" meaning don't change something that works for you.

In the long run, some of your classmates may be studying less than you but you may be far more efficient clinically that they are. It's the clinical stuff that really counts. Go for mastery of your class work but don't get yourself too "hung up" on what others are doing. If you are passing comfortably, continue to "run your race" and let others do the same.

Since every human being is different, it only makes sense that there will be a myriad of methods to approach medical school coursework, the majority of which will work quite well. Bottom line: the best use of summer vacation is to go on vacation and enjoy the break. Good luck!

I guess everyone here is on summer vacation/working now for the summer, but I thought I would try to do something to improve my learning skills during the summer. Last night I orderd two books from Amazon online:

-How to Become a Straight-A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real College Students Use to Score High While Studying Less

and

- Your Memory : How It Works and How to Improve It

Have any of you guys ever tried reading books like these? And did you get any good information out of it?

Im starting up the second year of a 6 year MD program in october. The first year I spent hours upon hours upon hours at the library studying making tons of notes. I knew I should cut down the hours spent studying and the notemaking and instead improve my studying technique instead, but I didnt really know how to do it, so I kept on doing what I was allready doing. I DID pass everything, but I felt I used alot more time than some of the other students that also passed. I really hope these books will help me.

Share your experience on studying techniques!
The book has some interesting points. In short, do not procrastinate and constantly quiz yourself over the material. I only read 2/3 of the text since the latter portion was about essays. It's an interesting read, but nothing beats dedication and hard work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Largely, what got you into medical school will get you through with modifications for the volume. With that being said, summer vacation is a good time to practice with a new technique but don't "throw the child out with the bathwater" meaning don't change something that works for you.

Simmy is European. Good grades in high school got him into medical school.

I will be the first to tell you that there are no magic books that will make you an efficient scholar. Largely, what got you into medical school will get you through with modifications for the volume. With that being said, summer vacation is a good time to practice with a new technique but don't "throw the child out with the bathwater" meaning don't change something that works for you.

In the long run, some of your classmates may be studying less than you but you may be far more efficient clinically that they are. It's the clinical stuff that really counts. Go for mastery of your class work but don't get yourself too "hung up" on what others are doing. If you are passing comfortably, continue to "run your race" and let others do the same.

Since every human being is different, it only makes sense that there will be a myriad of methods to approach medical school coursework, the majority of which will work quite well. Bottom line: the best use of summer vacation is to go on vacation and enjoy the break. Good luck!

Yeah I totaly agree with you on this. I am not after changing all my studying habits that I have developed from before. After all it got me through the first year without having any major problems. I'm basicly looking to see if there is some adjustments and tips that can maybe make my studying more efficiently and that I can get even more out from the countless hours I spend at the library.

I allready have a great dedication and self discipline for my school work, but I feel that sometimes I waste alot of time doing unessecary amounts of work. I'm not looking to copy other peoples studying habits, couse that is a impossible and may not work for me. I think that always trying to improve yourself is healthy and it will NEVER hurt to get some extra knowledge :laugh:

The book has some interesting points. In short, do not procrastinate and constantly quiz yourself over the material. I only read 2/3 of the text since the latter portion was about essays. It's an interesting read, but nothing beats dedication and hard work.

That's pretty much what I was hoping for. So I am really looking forward to read it :thumbup: