Study time for the MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDR

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i just wanted to ask all you sdners some questions regarding the mcats.
would it sufficient to just take a prep course (PR, Kaplan etc) and take the exam? i'm actually talking about the august mcat b/c i want to take theam as soon as i can.
i graduated from pharmacy school and i'm working full-time at a hospital. so i think i have a good background for taking the MCATs if i reviewed a little bit. what do you guys think? how long would you give yourself (if you were working full-time as well) if you wanted to take the this august's mcat? i started reviewing but i don't know if i should wait until the april 2003 mcats? please give me some of your inputs and past experiences that have been similar. thanks.

PharmDR

Members don't see this ad.

hey pharmdr ...
unless you think you can review the material by yourself.. like w/the help of review books.. you'll be fine. if you're the type that is self-motivated and will study on your own, then study w/out a course and save the $1500.
the advantages of taking any course (i took the Princeton Review) is that they give you books, you have teachers that will answer all your questions, and you have the opportunity to take diag mcats w/a procter. to be honest, the course didn't help me that much. it's all up to you - how much time you're willing to put into studying. the princeton review gives you work to do and reviews the material that you should already know for the mcat. they don't teach you anything new. and the strategies that you "learn" at the prep course is stuff you can read out of the review books you buy at B&N.
from my experince, the prep course was a help by supplying the books and the diag mcats. everything else was up to me.

good luck w/whatever you decide to do. =)

I too took the Princeton Review as a prep course. I agree with the previous post that you don't really need it. The tips and tricks, as well as practice exams can be had at a lower price (i.e review books from your friendly neighborhood bookstore). But, it is extremely helpful if you need to discipline yourself to study for the biggest test of your life to date. All in all, the biggest advantage that the Prep courses have over self studying, is that, they give you some sort of structure and schedule. I would say that it was well worth the money for me since I needed the discipline to regularly devote my time and effort for the MCATs. Slacking off after a few months of intense studying is harder if there is a proctor on your ass all the time too. My advice is to evaluate your study habits and level of discipline, and see if a Prep course will be of use to you. Either way will need your utmost commitment. Goodluck! :)

PharmDR

Give yourself 12 solid weeks minimum. Every night for at least 3-5 hours.

You can purchase actual past MCATs from AAMC.

I would spend my time working through the review books and making sure that you are still familiar with everything.

If you can get your hands on a set of Princeton Review MCAT books you will be good as well. As much as people say the courses can be a waste of money, I know it helped me.

TPR offers courses in Center City, Temple, and UPENN.

Also, I would contact the premed advisor as USP (oh, PCPS for you I guess :wink: )

Good luck with everything.

JPH
PCOM Class of 2002