1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Study Time?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by PreMeddieRick, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Overall how much time would you say you have REALLY spent studying for the MCAT? I heard that the 36-40s spend like upwards to 300 hours studying for the exam. What do you think? :idea:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nuel

10+ Year Member

I would say 90+ hours. I can't study 200 hours because I am taking 19 credits of science and math classes.

4. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

2 hours a day for...2.5 months?? plenty of days slacking. 2*100 = 200 max.

i think more important things are to sit down and understand the meaning of the stuffs. i.e., what is force, how can you manipulate it, etc? i think the MCAT is a test of science philosophy and becoming a lot more experiment oriented. :idea: :idea: :idea:

5. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

In the last month, I was putting in ~30 hours a week. Before that I was only doing 10-15 or so. It depends on your learning style really. There's no set number of hours that you can study and magically end up at a higher score. I know people that put in more than 300 hours and still didn't break thirty. Quality over quantity.

6. LUBDUBB

LUBDUBB Freakaholic
    10+ Year Member

dude everyone has a peak range; once you hit it, I really don't think any amount of studying will help. 38-40 range is within a few questions, so luck will probably come into play.

7. getcloned

getcloned Hilton Magician
    10+ Year Member

I really only studied during my test prep course meeting times. This time increased the few weeks before the test began, but in retrospect, I probably could have studied more.

My main prep was the 6 full length MCATs 6 weeks before the big daddy.

8. dantheman

dantheman Member
    7+ Year Member

I spent pretty much the whole summer studying. Avg about 20 hrs a week for 12 -14 weeks gives a grand total of more than 250 hours of my life given over as payment to the evil trolls at AAMC those @#$Q F^#%@^ Whew! Sorry I am still a little emotional about the whole thing (sniff sniff).

All the studying seriously paid off though: I went from a 22 on my 1st practice test to a 36 on the real deal.

9. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know someone who broke 38 doing two hours a day for a month during full time work. Depends a lot on studying and test taking skills.

10. bgreet

bgreet Dopefish Lives!
    7+ Year Member

JHK43 has got the secret down. Use the force PreMeddieRick, use the force!

11. nina512

nina512 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Used a similar approach as jhk43...

Had been out of school for 2 years and didn't have the green for a Kaplan course...so while working full time, I did about 3hrs x4days/week and one weekly marathon session of 8hrs (usually on the weekend) starting in the middle of Jan. till the April MCAT, which equals about 12weeks x 20hrs = 240