Study tips: What worked for you and what didn't? Please share.

Started by ahsansad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ahsansad

NONE
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HEY!

i am taking a few hardcore sciences 400 level along with 2 labs. I am very worried about them as I don think my study habits are all that great to be honest. I also need to set aside at least 15 hrs for my research and 5 for student coordinator (in our hospital) purposes. PLEASE KINDLY SHARE WHAT WORKED FOR YOU IN THESE HEAVY MEMORIZATION COURSES. If it at all healps here are the following classes:

1) virology (400 level)
2)Clinical immunology (400 level)
3) Eukaryotic cell biology(400 level)
4) physics 1 lab
5) microbiology lab

PLEASE HELP. ANY INPUT WILL BE BENEFICIAL AND GREATLY APPRECIATES. TO THOSE WHO HAVE MADE IT CONGRATS TO YOU!!
[/B]
 
What helps is having enough time to study to get an A in the class. If you find yourself out of time, drop a class or two. Limit volunteer/research hours to the minimum required. Do practice problems from old exams, study with classmates, go to office hours if you have questions, attend lectures, read the book to help understand hard concepts taught in class, use outside resources (google), do more practice problems.
 
I had some of these classes last semester, what worked for me was understanding key concepts and repetition. Since these subjects can be very content-heavy, keeping up with the material is very important. Review/study some information everyday even if it's for 30 minutes that helps, this is where repetition come into play, when the test comes around you'll be familiar with the material. Try to avoid 'random memorization of facts'.
Also when I study, always write down important notes. again helps with the repetition.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) record lectures. I typed up my notes during class. Then while studying, I would listen to the lecture while following with my notes. If I missed something, I'd fill it in. Then closer to the exam date, I reviewed the final notes again.

2) Form study groups. Set a deadline for when to study all the material individually; make a list of major topics covered in the notes; and then when you guys meet up, go down the list and discuss each topic.
 
Thank you guys!

I really appreciate all your input. I have not had many microbio classes before hence all the worries! anyways goodluck to all of us!
 
Review/memorize (depending on how fastidiously you do either of the two) the day's lectures/labs every day. On weekends, review/memorize everything in the class covered up to that point. Focus more on extra-curriculars in the beginning of the semester and create a reserve of material for them, allowing you to do this late in the semester.
 
This is what worked for me. It involves a lot of time and effort and may not work for you, but here goes:

1. Always read before class. I cannot stress this enough. If you don't understand what you're reading, star it or write it down on your notebook/laptop/whatever you use to take notes. A lot of my professors lecture with powerpoint presentations, so I just print out the slides and compare them with the book. If I still don't understand after class, I make it a point to talk to the professor or email the professor afterward. (This can also be helpful for gaining a rec letter.)

2. Review what you learned at the end of the day. No matter how small, whether you decide to just flip through your notes or make flash cards for the following day -- do some review before you go to bed.

3. I noticed your coursework seems to be more bio-intensive. Drawing diagrams helps me ton when I'm studying for bio. They don't have to be fancy.

4. Make a list of your goals. I know it sounds cheesy as hell, but it helped me stay organized and focus. Also, be realistic...don't put 100 things to do that you know are nearly impossible to finish.

5. Also! Don't be discouraged...you might F up. It's OK. Relax and try harder. I know I felt like it was the end of the world when I got my first B. It passes. You will do better.

6. I know a lot of people hate hearing this, but it's not all about memorization. Try to link your classes together. Make a habit of actually understanding the material, it will help you in the long run.

Sounds like you have a load of work lined up for you...good luck! 😀
 
1) record lectures. I typed up my notes during class. Then while studying, I would listen to the lecture while following with my notes. If I missed something, I'd fill it in. Then closer to the exam date, I reviewed the final notes again.
.

I might use that meself.
:=|:-): >tips fedora
 
In heavy memorization classes slides are you best friend. Reading over them at the end of each day helps cement the facts well and it only takes about 15-20 min for each class. If you're having trouble with a certain topic use flashcards and go over the readings from the book.

When it's time for exams do practice problems, repeat quizzes, and old exams (if possible). Go in and see your prof! They can be very helpful and if you get to know them well will write LoRs.