Looking for advice on what to do (Mount Sinai Flexmed)

Started by a_m26
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

New York, NY Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Average GPAGPA 3.81 Average MCATMCAT 519 IS tuitionIS $74,208 OOS tuitionOOS $74,208 Application feeFee $110 MSSM Details Interview Feedback School Secondaries

a_m26

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently received the update that I had been admitted to the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai's early assurance program (Flexmed), and while on one hand it feels surreal to have this opportunity, I am very conflicted about what the best next move is. For people not familiar with the Flexmed program, it is an early assurance program where college sophomores apply to receive early admission. The big benefits of the program include the waiving of the MCAT, some prerequisite courses, and the academic/professional freedom to explore whatever interests you for the remaining two years of college (and any gap years if interested).

Down below, I wrote a small pros/cons list, and if anyone feels they have a perspective that might be valuable, I would really appreciate it.

PROS

- Stress reliever (With this program, I would not need to take MCAT, physics 2 or orgo 2, worry about GPA, etc. I also wouldn't have to do the AMCAS application of course or submit secondaries, etc. I have interests outside of medicine that I do believe I will be able to explore with much less inhibition, and with much more freedom and sincerity.)

- Mount Sinai itself (ISMMS itself is a terrific school with a terrific match list and great opportunities. I am still somewhat undecided in terms of specialty, but I would say the frontrunners for me are general surgery and emergency medicine, both of which have an early assurance match for Mount Sinai med students to Mount Sinai hospital. Research opportunities are great, service opportunities line up closely with what I am most interested in, and I think that the school's focus on interdisciplinary education bleeds into forming a great med student cohort)

- New York City (The prospect of spending my 20s in the city seems amazing, and if I were to apply traditionally, I would still apply to just about every major medical school in the city. My family is also from the tristate area, so I would be able to see them very easily which is a big thing given how busy med school will be. The school's housing is also ideal, with guaranteed four years right next to Central Park. Many of my high school and college friends even outside of medicine will likely also end up being in the city, which is very exciting. I also expect that I will ultimately want to live in the Northeast, and my understanding is that Mount Sinai has strong name value in this region)

- Gap year/tuition upside (I currently am on track to graduate in 3.5 years, but with this program I could graduate in 3 years pretty easily since there now would be some larger courses I wouldn't need to take. The most obvious benefit of that is that I save a semester on tuition, and also the idea that then the 4th year can either serve as a year to work full time, travel, conduct research, etc. which sounds pretty nice. Without Flexmed, I also would likely end up taking my MCAT next summer, which would mean I would likely need to apply the cycle after my graduation year. From an ROI perspective, that I guess can down the line be looked at as reaching an attending salary one year later)

CONS

- ROI worries (Accepting this offer for Mount Sinai somewhat feels like I am deciding for certain that I will be paying in full for medical school. I understand that is the reality for most med students and that it is somewhat idealistic to assume that if I applied traditionally I would receive large merit scholarship offers, but I still feel guilty putting that in writing right now. There are still a few major pre-reqs that I have yet to take and I of course haven't taken the MCAT, but as far as things currently stand, I do think I would be a strong traditional cycle applicant. I do think I am the kind of person that, if I take this offer, will always in the back of my mind wonder what could have been.)

- Prestige (This one is more of a question than a con, but I didn't know how to frame it. My understanding is that ISMMS is a top medical school attached to a top hospital system. I also understand though that there are a small number of schools that do still get seen as a step/tier above Sinai. My question is, is there any way in which going to Mount Sinai over hypothetically going to a better school would limit my career? Are there things/opportunities that become significantly harder to accomplish or achieve coming from Mount Sinai versus a Harvard or Hopkins that I should consider when making this decision?)

Appreciate any advice/perspectives!
 
Bird in the hand blah blah

Unless you're an academic superstar with multiple pubs and awards, you should not think of a top 20 school like Icahn as a guarantee. Even if you are a superstar, skipping the MCAT, app cycle, and glide year altogether and studying in NYC would be worth the few cons you've listed. Money and prestige aren't a concern for Mt Sinai grads.
 
Appreciate any advice/perspectives!
You can always drive yourself into a neurotic fugue state by wondering what could have been. If you take the offer you can lament the loss of your imaginary merit scholarship to Harvard/Hopkins. If you refuse the offer things may turn out well for you. Or you may tank the MCAT and end up screwed. Or you may do fine, get into a decent medical school, and then years later wonder how your life would have been enriched by having a few intellectually fertile years of exploration in your youth.

The prestige thing is likewise pointless here. Sinai is well beyond the point of diminishing returns with such matters. If you flame out and end up scraping out earwax in Minot then it won't be because of the school.

In the end you are the only one who can weigh the opportunity before you against the unknown possibilities. Congrats on the offer, Flexmed isn't the easiest program to get into. No doubt you are quite bright and diligent. But there are still at least few hundred others in each applicant pool who can run circles around you.

Good luck. I will leave you with a poem that Kurt Vonnegut wrote for the NY Times in memory of a friend and fellow author:

True story, Word of Honor:
Joseph Heller, an important and funny writer
now dead,
and I were at a party given by a billionaire
on Shelter Island.
I said, "Joe, how does it make you feel
to know that our host only yesterday
may have made more money
than your novel 'Catch-22?
has earned in its entire history?"
And Joe said, "I've got something he can never have."
And I said, "What on earth could that be, Joe?"
And Joe said, "The knowledge that I've got enough."
Not bad! Rest in peace!