Study Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RealityCheck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering if any of you may give me studying tips for being able to study better(obviously) and to help me do good in my classes. Going to high school, I honestly felt like I never really had to study. I did awesome in high school, but now that I'm in college it's a completely different ball game. I feel like I've never been in school before I stress over my work, I don't manage my time well, and one of the most annoying is not remembering what I study, for example: I would do my reading for my Biology class, and I wouldn't remember a single thing. I'd read about(for ex) the Covalent Bonds, Isotopes, Amino Acids, Ions, etc. And when our Prof. would ask the class a question about one of those things, I'm like cussing myself out in my head because I can't remember any of it, even though I was studying the material for a prolonged period of time.

I apologize for the long post, but me not being able to memorize the information is what's making me not do as well in my courses. Because since the sciences are based around so much specific facts, you have to know as much as you can. And that's what hurting me now in school, I was never really taught good studying skills, except the ones we were taught when we were kids, and that obviously doesn't work at this level. I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks in advanced

P.S

I don't know if this was the correct board to post on.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Stay AWAY from the internet. AWAY from SDN, they are way too prone to addictive procrastination.

2. I like to draw. I think I drew every biology/chemistry thing (in color, and beautifully detailed) to study, it helped a lot.

3. SLEEP. (and incidentally, study before you sleep. I had this crazy thing I did - that really worked for me - that i would take 2 hour naps throughout the night with 1/2 hour study crams in between - it totally helped me memorize things).

4. Don't hang out with business or comm majors. They'll make you feel less like studying.

5. Keep your eye on the ball. Get involved either shadowing/volunteering - anything that gives you patient/doctor contact that makes you remember why you're working so hard...

there's my 2 cents...

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Stay AWAY from the internet. AWAY from SDN, they are way too prone to addictive procrastination.

2. I like to draw. I think I drew every biology/chemistry thing (in color, and beautifully detailed) to study, it helped a lot.

3. SLEEP. (and incidentally, study before you sleep. I had this crazy thing I did - that really worked for me - that i would take 2 hour naps throughout the night with 1/2 hour study crams in between - it totally helped me memorize things).

4. Don't hang out with business or comm majors. They'll make you feel less like studying.

5. Keep your eye on the ball. Get involved either shadowing/volunteering - anything that gives you patient/doctor contact that makes you remember why you're working so hard...

there's my 2 cents...

so true.

Study regularly rather than cramming for tests

Review the material right after you see it in lecture to make sure you understand it

One way of studying that helped me out immensely was to structure the material myself - make study guides for the entire course for main ideas and stuff

If its a science class or math class and what you need help with is problem solving - only way to improve is to practice - after you've understood all the first principles

Oh yeah - and the best way to get good sleep is to wake up at the same time every day

I was never really taught good studying skills, except the ones we were taught when we were kids, and that obviously doesn't work at this level. I'd appreciate any tips.

Many schools have free tutoring sessions and study skills labs. Communicate your difficulty to an advisor and get a referral. Don't wait until your GPA is too low to resuscitate.

the best way to get good sleep is to wake up at the same time everyday?

that's interesting.
what if your classes start at 9:50 on mondays and thursdays and at 11 on tuesdays, wednesdays, and fridays,

should you still wake up at 8:30 all 5 days? I guess that would help with keeping track of how many hours you sleep and all, but what to do between 8:30 and 11? study? exercise?

I agree with the post that said to write it out. I never used to study before either. And so I was in for a shock last august when I started school. I'd study the book and my notes and come test time I'd know nothing. Then a friend told me to try writing out key points...pretend like you're going to teach someone what you're learning and make an outline. That helped me a lot, cause then I knew what I was talking about. So the test were also a little easier. Also I noticed that I genuinely do well on subjects I enjoy i.e. in bio and calc I did excellent on the exams that had to do with genetics and exams that dealt with deratives and product and quotient rules cause I loved those subjects. So find a way (if possible) to make what you're learning enjoyable because sometimes those bio books can be a tad bit boring.

I read a really great book about studying that helped me learn how to do what I had never had to do before, I think it was called "study smarter, not harder" or something similar to that, anyway it gave me some good ideas though I definitely don't use some of the cheesiness like the visualization excersizes. Worth the read tho.

the best way to get good sleep is to wake up at the same time everyday?

that's interesting.
what if your classes start at 9:50 on mondays and thursdays and at 11 on tuesdays, wednesdays, and fridays,

should you still wake up at 8:30 all 5 days? I guess that would help with keeping track of how many hours you sleep and all, but what to do between 8:30 and 11? study? exercise?

yeah - study or exercise
apparently it has to do with circadian rhythms or something - our wellness tutor posted the tip - to wake up consistently everyday no matter how much sleep you actually got. Obv getting a decent number hours is also import too

you should try it out tho - its pretty cool because after a while you dont even need an alarm - your body will just get up automatically - and you'll notice that you dont get that fogginess that happens when you oversleep or switch your sleep cycle

Ain't that the truth! I only wish I had more (um, any? ever?) group take-home finals. And projects with lots of powerpoints presentations. Their life is so hard. :laugh:

But seriously, something I always do is make lists of topics that I need to know (definitions of things and the like) and then go down the list, making absolutely sure that I can say out-loud what each one means/pertains to/whatever. I don't have the patience to make tons of flash cards, but if you make them right, they're helpful as well.

And never try to study if you're about to fall asleep. Just go sleep and then try again later. Just getting by on caffeine is really just not a good idea.