Studying a necessary Evil.How do you study for basic sciences pre reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

URMpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you approach Studying for classes especially pre-req basic sciences classes? How many hours daily ? Note-cards? highlighting and etc.. Curious to see what others do maybe it will help me this summer in summer school. :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Really it depends on the class. For me: Bio - notecards, definitions, condensed notes, reading texts, and comprehension/ review questions.
Chem - familiarize yourself w/ material by reading text and taking notes, after that do all the review Qs at the end of the chapter. If you can find answers and explanations that's super helpful.
I have yet to take physics but my friends tell me it helps to do a ton of practice problems an learn how to apply the formulas you learn based on what you're given/ asked to find in the question.
I don't think there's any amount of time you NEED to study. I study till I understand the material, and then a little more for good measure. Some people need a lot of time, some don't need much at all

You have to go with what works for you. Don't be afraid to use multiple methods. For example, I would always re-copy my notes, and say them out loud (think: memorizing a script).

For biochemical pathways, or flow charts, I would copy them over and over.

Some of my students make outlines, others like tables, or flash cards.

Repetition is the key to most learning.

How do you approach Studying for classes especially pre-req basic sciences classes? How many hours daily ? Note-cards? highlighting and etc.. Curious to see what others do maybe it will help me this summer in summer school. :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
For bio-related subjects, I would say try to get a big picture and understand the concepts instead of memorizing simple facts. For gen chem/math, do as many problems as possible. For orgo, draw the reactions/mechanisms until they get engraved in your brain. Like the above poster said, repetition is the key.

Thanks for your responses. I am taking Physics I & II 5 week summer session along with a 15 week General Biology class this summer. So I will be doing a lot of studying. These are retakes for me I just want to make this retake count!

Physics and Organic is easy....work hundreds of problems. Seriously, there are no short cuts to being good at these two, you must put in the sweat blood and tears.

As a tutor at my school's tutor center I occasionally get the opportunity to hear and respond to student's study methods. One dear tutee told me she recopied her physics notes from class, copied the homework problems off of the computer based homework onto paper, read the text book, and reworked the homeworks after she finished them. Do NOT try to learn physics this way, or Organic, most of that is a total waste of precious time. Basically use the notes the professor gives you to get the equations, use the examples they give you to see the equations in action and then go practice it on your own until you've got that topic down cold. This works for Organic and Physics, except in organic instead of "equations" it's "mechanisms" usually.

Biology requires whatever you need to do to remember the information. Everyone eventually figures out what works for them. For instance, I'm big on making note cards, but I never actually flash them or use them. Sound weird? Yeah, it is, because just the very act of making note cards the way I do (turning everything into a question or true/false statement) is like making my own exams, by the time I'm done doing it, I know the material and don't usually need to even look at them again. But find what works for you.

General Chemistry is some mixture of the two, a hybrid beast that requires both problem solving skills and memorization of information. My least favorite and least strong area, sadly.

Last edited:
You have to go with what works for you. Don't be afraid to use multiple methods. For example, I would always re-copy my notes, and say them out loud (think: memorizing a script).

For biochemical pathways, or flow charts, I would copy them over and over.

Some of my students make outlines, others like tables, or flash cards.

Repetition is the key to most learning.

I take heavy notes in class (even if it is redundant). Something about writing it down helps me retain it.

For studying I often re-copy my notes and make them into a "semi-flowchart." I make lots of drawn links to related topics. It just makes sense to me to connect relationships or juxtapose outcomes that have similar origins. This is both repetition and transforming the material I learn into a visual tool. Due to the layout of most textbooks, this also means most things are in a semi chronological order.

I don't know how many times I've sat in on an exam trying to recall something--then remembering it because it fell right in between X and Y physical positions on my flowchart. I think "I drew a big circle/star next to [x subject] and the answer on the tip of my tongue was right next to that." Then it just clicks.

I don't think anyone could really use my method though. It seems so strange while I type it out.

Two books I would recommend:

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language
3000 Solved Problems in Physics

If you make these two your best friends during Physics and Orgo, you will do extremely well :D

Hey, question about the pre-req classes...is there a particular good combination of classes to take which makes it a bit easier?

For example, semeser 1, take bio 1 and chem 1 or chem 1 and physics 1? What do you guys recommend?

What works for me for Orgo is writing a summary of reactions and making notecards (reactants on one side, products on the other) and drilling a little each day...can't cram for this class. Physics and gen chem writing out problems...For Bio I need to see the big picture first so I make a summary sheet and if I have to memorize details I draw/memorize diagrams/google videos to help me visualize since I'm a visual/hands on learner. Just be sure to study every single day no matter how tired you are from school/work this summer and you will be fine :) best of luck on the retakes!

The only Thing I wouldn't do is take Orgo Chem with a science class that requires intensive memorization. The normal trend would be you take gen chem 1, gen biology a semester or maybe Orgo with physics. Many advisors recommend you take 2-3 pre req per semester.People mix up the combinations all the time its basically what you can handle and how will you are with time management and studying. Hope that helps!:oops:

Hey, question about the pre-req classes...is there a particular good combination of classes to take which makes it a bit easier?

For example, semeser 1, take bio 1 and chem 1 or chem 1 and physics 1? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks i will look into the Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. I have Schaums college physics 744 fully solved problems.
Two books I would recommend:

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language
3000 Solved Problems in Physics

If you make these two your best friends during Physics and Orgo, you will do extremely well :D

Personally, I wouldn't try and cram all those sci classes in at once, thats how you end up with c's. physics 2 is a beast, and ochem2 is a super Saiyan of a beast. Word of advice, find people who have taken the course before and see how the professor grades and find students who are down to just study all the time/have fun. Finding solid people that will have your back is IMPERATIVE to passing these classes. Good luck.