SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

studying abroad

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pbehzad, Jun 30, 2002.

1. pbehzad

pbehzad Faddayy 7+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Atl and soon to be OKC
    i was wondering is it better to study abroad next summer (which would be summer between soph & junior year) or try to work in a research lab over the summer? i know some schools like baylor med have research programs for undergrads over the summer? the study abroad program i am looking into deals with british healthcare system, so it does have some revelance to medical field. also, i have worked as a lab assistant in a med school lab and presently work in a dr.'s office, so i have some experience. do you think studying abroad would make my app stand out more, or do you think i should do a research program? also is studying abroad during the spring semester looked down upon by adcoms? would the best time to go abroad be the summer time?
    thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2002
    a LOT of schools have summer undergrad research programs. I am doing one of them and this program is called MD/PhD summer research undergrad program. It is hard to get in but if you have research exprience, there should not be problems. It is also a paid position, it pays me $4000 for 10 weeks.

4. pbehzad

pbehzad Faddayy 7+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Atl and soon to be OKC
    how hard are they to get in? also which one are you in? what kind of stats do you need to get into one of the research programs?

5. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think both would be worthwhile. If you're trying to decide whether or not you'd enjoy research, then I'd probably do the research program, but if all you're looking for is an interesting medically-relating activity to do over the summer while building your application, just do whatever you are more excited for--if you really want to spend the summer in England, then by all means do it!

6. efex101

efex101 attending Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 19, 2002
    MN
    I do not think that they are that *hard* to get into, competitive yes, but hard no. The first time that I applied for summer research I had zero research experience (and I was not at that time a science major) and only had A&P as my science classes. I did apply to about six different programs and was accepted to almost every single one. I went to Vandy. The second time applying again I applied to six and got into every single one (Yale, U of Penn, Vandy, U of Wisconsin, Mayo, UAB) and chose Mayo. Yes it is not a piece of cake but if you have a good gpa 3.5, good lor's, and can write a decent PS about why you would like to do research you should be fine. Just make sure that you apply to more than one SURF program.

7. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Omaha
    I think that studying abroad makes one look more interesting. It is also an eye opening experience. Also, studying the British healthcare system will give you insight on alternatives to how healthcare is delivered. Do research between your junior and senior years, if you want to do that. The summer between my soph and junior years, I did biomedical research in London, accomplishing both missions.