studying before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightman327

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know everyone says before you start med school just relax and take it easy (i've been doing a great job of that since i graduated last summer) but i'm afraid i might be behind to start med school. in college i took the bare minimum of science courses (gen chem 1,2; gen bio 1,2; orgo 1,2; phys 1,2) and i feel like i'm behind all those other bio/chem majors who have already taken biochem, micriobio, gentics, etc. anyone recommend i catch myself up in these subjects or just do some light reviewing? i thought i would re-read my kaplan mcat bio review book since it briefly covers most of these subjects, would that be enough?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't if I was you. I had a year and a half between when I finished undergrad and started school and was wondering the same thing last year. I just finished first year and from my experience there is no amount of review or preview during the summer before you start school that will prepare you for whats coming. Listen to others advice when they tell you to just relax and enjoy your summer.

Come on dude, you even said in your post that you did a search so you should already know the answer to this one. The amount of prestudy that your should do is none. No prestudy. Nada. All you are going to do is waste your time at best and at worst you actually put some effort into it and you come into first year already tired.

Your plan sounds like the wasting time option so no real harm I guess but if you can find ANYTHING else to do this summer please do it. Build something. Go on a trip. Learn a new skill. Train for a marathon. Improve your hand eye coordination by playing video games all summer. Get wrongfully sent to prison by your best friend who framed you so he could marry your fiancée. Formulate an elaborate revenge plot after you learn how to fight and are educated by an old man you meet in prison. Do something productive that isn't just reviewing MCAT stuff. (that is the definition of low yield)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anything we say is going to make a difference. Every person thinks they are an exception and maybe they should pre-study because of X.

i know everyone says before you start med school just relax and take it easy (i've been doing a great job of that since i graduated last summer) but i'm afraid i might be behind to start med school. in college i took the bare minimum of science courses (gen chem 1,2; gen bio 1,2; orgo 1,2; phys 1,2) and i feel like i'm behind all those other bio/chem majors who have already taken biochem, micriobio, gentics, etc. anyone recommend i catch myself up in these subjects or just do some light reviewing? i thought i would re-read my kaplan mcat bio review book since it briefly covers most of these subjects, would that be enough?
Read Robbins

In the beginnIng of the year, the non science majors seemed to have to work a little harder, but still got the job done. Halfway through first year though seemed to not matter. You can look at all you want, but if you dont know what your classes will emphasize then it won't be very efficient.

i figured most of you would answer the same thing i've been hearing. just thought that maybe it would be better for non-science majors to do a little brushing up. guess not...anyway i have no problem taken a few more months of relaxation.

thanks for the help!

I plan on pre-studying for next year this summer. Between catching up on CSI and House I am bound to be more than prepared for M1, right? I'll also have WedMD up on my laptop in case I think Dr. House got it wrong and it ACTUALLY is lupus :idea:.

Nightman I kid, I kid. Let's enjoy our summer :banana::woot:

Come on dude, you even said in your post that you did a search so you should already know the answer to this one. The amount of prestudy that your should do is none. No prestudy. Nada. All you are going to do is waste your time at best and at worst you actually put some effort into it and you come into first year already tired.

Your plan sounds like the wasting time option so no real harm I guess but if you can find ANYTHING else to do this summer please do it. Build something. Go on a trip. Learn a new skill. Train for a marathon. Improve your hand eye coordination by playing video games all summer. Get wrongfully sent to prison by your best friend who framed you so he could marry your fiancée. Formulate an elaborate revenge plot after you learn how to fight and are educated by an old man you meet in prison. Do something productive that isn't just reviewing MCAT stuff. (that is the definition of low yield)

:thumbup:

Dude, I've been through First Aid TWICE and I'm not M1 yet. You're way behind. Read First Aid + RR Path. Start now, maybe if you study 8 hours a day everyday you start, you will catch up.

PS: here's what my First Aid book looks like now--

Last edited:
Improve your hand eye coordination by playing video games all summer.

I recall a recent thread that discussed this and the studies that had been done that supposedly proved its efficacy. I didn't see a list of video games in that study but I'm wondering if Rock Band would suffice...cause that's what I'm doin. Never got into COD or any other similar games.

Seriously though, I started out trying to review for this Fall (incoming MS1) but I've since given up on that and I just wanna have a good time and get in shape before I start. I think the best thing you can do IMO is get physically and mentally prepared to dominate all that material as it's presented to you.

I don't hear from too many medstudents, residents, etc that say pre-studying for med school over the summer was "the best decision I ever made" or that it gave them a significant headstart.

don't worry about being "behind" your classmates cause you didn't take biochem, etc. The usefulness of undergrad prep for med school is way overrated, imho. Those people might remember some of the general principles of those courses, but they don't test you on those, they test you on the specifics and the exceptions--stuff that you didn't learn in undergrad, or at least won't remember.

I don't think anything we say is going to make a difference. Every person thinks they are an exception and maybe they should pre-study because of X.

we should just start telling them they shouldve started studying before they even applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, I've been through First Aid TWICE and I'm not M1 yet. You're way behind. Read First Aid + RR Path. Start now, maybe if you study 8 hours a day everyday you start, you will catch up.

PS: here's what my First Aid book looks like now--

Bahaha wow for me that's almost unreadable. I think I had that multiple myeloma section burned into my brain though.

Maybe you can redirect their efforts, though. I generally tell people that if they absolutely feel the need to study, they should study Spanish. That actually comes up a lot.

I spoke with a lot of medical students about this subject. They unanimously agreed that prestudying is a waste of time and won't help. The volume of material, not knowing what is important, and time available (assuming summer only) are all factors that prevent prestudying from being worthwhile.

I PLAN TO ENJOY MYSELF BEFORE MEDICAL SCHOOL SO MY BATTERIES ARE RECHARGED. :)

If you want to actually do something productive before med school, I would suggest finding out about good places to eat and fun places to go. Everybody starts fresh on day 1 of med school.

If you are REALLY interested in a particular field of medicine, find out more about that department in your school so you can get an early start on a research project and some easy pubs during your first and second year. Once third year rolls around, life gets busy.

Sorry but it's not a waste of time at all. The truth is it never hurts to study early unless you're doing it in an unhealthy way- ie socially ostracizing yourself, letting it affect your attitude, etc. But if you're cool about it, who cares? I think it helps. I actually started reviewing MCAT stuff over each summer in college, didn't take it til after I graduated. For me, it paid off. I don't see how it's any different for med school. The more you know, the better off you are. People advise against it as a coping mechanism.

Don't listen to anybody. They are actually going to be in your class and are trying to get ahead of you. Seriously. So are the posts about this topic for the past 10 years. They are all lying. All gunners trying to sabotoge you.

You should have read AT LEAST...

Biochem...Lehringer
Pathology...Robbins
Physiology...Boron and Boulpaep
Internal Medicine...Harrisons

To have a foundation before you begin. It only gets more detailed from there. Good luck!

if you know someone in the same school who just finished MS1, then get them to give you a copy of their notes from first semester, and ask them to give you some direction in your studies.

I think pre studying is definitely worth it, but you would honestly need some direction from someone in the same school who just finished.

obviously just opening a random book and starting reading is a complete waste of time.

you need direction and advice from someone who just finished ms1 in that same school.

im finished ms1 in two weeks and ive already got all the ms2 material from a friend in the year above. im gonna take a week off after exams and then crack into ms2 for the summer. its a bit crazy, but it will be seriously worth it come exam time next semester :)

if you know someone in the same school who just finished MS1, then get them to give you a copy of their notes from first semester, and ask them to give you some direction in your studies.

I think pre studying is definitely worth it, but you would honestly need some direction from someone in the same school who just finished.

obviously just opening a random book and starting reading is a complete waste of time.

you need direction and advice from someone who just finished ms1 in that same school.

im finished ms1 in two weeks and ive already got all the ms2 material from a friend in the year above. im gonna take a week off after exams and then crack into ms2 for the summer. its a bit crazy, but it will be seriously worth it come exam time next semester :)
sigh

You are going to burn out. But, whatever, you likely won't listen to anyone's advice anyhow. So have fun blowing your last summe off.

Robbins Pathology and Harrisons Internal Medicine before you start. I mean if you don't know this stuff going in you're going to look like a ****ing idiot. Med school is serious business :rolleyes:. What happens if someone needs you to run a code. You'll just freeze up and embarrass yourself. Also the pt will die.

The typical gunner usually tells you not to study and to not worry about this or that. But in this case I think the gunners actually want you to study because you'll be wasting your time and perhaps more prone to burn out.

I think there may be some value in prestudying. However, if I consider efficiency it does not seem worth it because:

1. Relatively low stress and low motivation because I do not have a test hanging over my head
  2. Inability to key in on what is important for each class (can't ask the upperclassmen what to focus on and I lack instruction from a professor)
  3. Use of materials now will not exclude me from using the required materials later. Even if I got my hands on the materials MS1's used last year, if they should change I know that in my compulsiveness I would still have to go over all those materials AGAIN, make NEW NOTES, spend time reviewing, etc
  4. I've been told that the most difficult part of medical school is that, unlike undergrad, knowing the major concepts is not sufficient. Memorization is required. If I were to undertake this memorization before medical school I would probably just forget it anyways. Pop quiz what's poiseuille's equation? Okay well I did remember that so maybe there is some value in prestudying. But I still contend that this small value does not make it worth it when considering EFFICIENCY.
  5. i can spend my last summer off doing other things that will probably help me in medical school more than prestudying. For example, I have been shadowing like a madman. As a result, I am beginning to develop a clearer picture of what fields I am interested in (they aren't what I thought I would be interested in). Having this direction might help me take the appropriate steps towards a desired residency earlier during my medical education. Also, I'm learning a whole bunch about real medicine and I'm beginning to see patterns in clinical presentation and treatment. After you see your 11th appy, 12 meningitis, 13th pyelo, 14th cholelithiasis, 15th CVA, 16th ectopic, 17th MI, 18th Afib, 19th DUB, 20th pericardial tamponade, 21st PTX, 22nd PNA..... you really begin to know what labs get ordered and what they mean, what treatments are ordered and what they do etc. If you have a good doctor to shadow sometimes they even give you "clinical pearls". <-- maybe all these experiences will be useless too....
Now saying that prestudying is completely fruitless is false. If it were, medical schools like the SUNY's would not offer summer programs for accepted non-trads and nonscience majors. It might help, for a science major maybe only a little bit. In the end, I have better things to do.

EDIT: Also don't listen to ADORE. I go to school with that guy and he's a dbag :p
hahah sorry bro

My serious recommendation: Get Netter's Anatomy Flash cards. Go through them, starting in the order of Back/Thorax/Abdomen/Upper Limb/Lower Limb. ONLY look over the muscles and nerve. Don't bother with any of the vasculature. Don't do anythign for Pelvis or Head/Neck. This was really useful to me because at least I was at least a bit familiar with where things were generally located and it made a big difference coming into medical school.

So in your spare time, while relaxing outside, right before bed, go through a few cards at a time. It won't kill you and you will be embedding a few things into your memory.

robbins pathology and harrisons internal medicine before you start. I mean if you don't know this stuff going in you're going to look like a ****ing idiot. Med school is serious business :rolleyes:. What happens if someone needs you to run a code. You'll just freeze up and embarrass yourself. Also the pt will die.

+1

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Most people that do well in medical school do not pre-study.

They study hard during their scheduled study time, eat healthy and exercise, and make time to see friends and family.

Being happy and avoiding burnout is the best way to succeed in medical school.

Interestingly, my school is offering a 4-5 day "refresher" course on physiology concepts you will need for 1st year. The program costs somewhere in the range of $300.00. I found myself wondering who in their right mind would give up their last 5 days of freedom for a cursory review which probably barely scratches the surface?

I think the best way to spend the 2-3 weeks before school is acclimating yourself to a regular sleep-wake cycle and schedule with which you aim to follow for the upcoming semester. Perhaps go to sleep at X time, wake up at X time, workout, study (in the weeks preceding school, just read for the allotted time), eat, study, etc. In this manner, you might better prepare your body and mind for the rigors of the upcoming year, and are able to try-over each time you fail if you get started a few weeks in advance so you have the routine perfected.

Interestingly, my school is offering a 4-5 day "refresher" course on physiology concepts you will need for 1st year. The program costs somewhere in the range of $300.00. I found myself wondering who in their right mind would give up their last 5 days of freedom for a cursory review which probably barely scratches the surface?

I think the best way to spend the 2-3 weeks before school is acclimating yourself to a regular sleep-wake cycle and schedule with which you aim to follow for the upcoming semester. Perhaps go to sleep at X time, wake up at X time, workout, study (in the weeks preceding school, just read for the allotted time), eat, study, etc. In this manner, you might better prepare your body and mind for the rigors of the upcoming year, and are able to try-over each time you fail if you get started a few weeks in advance so you have the routine perfected.

That sounds horrible lol but I'm not a schedule person.. plus alot of people that were/still are schedule people start off waking up at a set time, gym at this time etc until exams come, and you start eating crappy, waking up late studying late etc. I hate plans because you also can't plan out when your going to get ADD and not want to study anymore. One thing I learned first year is if you feel not focused, stop studying. Continuing to do so is a waste of time and you could be doing something more relaxing and let your brain rest.

I wouldn't study before MS1 because there's no direction to it it regards to what is important and what isnt and without a test looming you probably aren't going to be too productive.

And to the guy whos taking a week off and then "crack MS2 notes" - hes prob the rare exception to the schedule people deal I was talking about before. I forgot to mention theres always a couple that manage to keep there structured order, they usually are EXTREMELY intense, always freaking out but do great and obviously honor everything..and they are usually gunning for ortho.

Yeah my school has a pre-matriculation program... except it's free. I considered it more for the socialization aspect (meet classmates/M2s earlier) than to actually study.

But then I remember that I was a lazy SOB. :D

Don't listen to anybody. They are actually going to be in your class and are trying to get ahead of you. Seriously. So are the posts about this topic for the past 10 years. They are all lying. All gunners trying to sabotoge you.

Biochem...Lehringer
Pathology...Robbins

To have a foundation before you begin. It only gets more detailed from there. Good luck!

My 270 step 1 friends and I approve of this message. Make sure you get Harrisons.

I thought Lippinscott Biochem was the better choice for M1s.

In all honesty tho no ms1 should buy a single book until they start classes because more than likely you won't need any of them.. no matter how tempting it may be to want to buy something. I guess i'd say buy netters or rohens because thats a guaranteed use and act out of all the books i stupidly bought prematurely this one i did not sell back (netters).

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

DO NOT STUDY.

Your courses will cover so much more volume than you would ever make yourself study in a summer. Also, you never know what the focus of the material is really going to be so you'll be wasting your time and burning out for NOTHING.

In all honesty tho no ms1 should buy a single book until they start classes because more than likely you won't need any of them.. no matter how tempting it may be to want to buy something. I guess i'd say buy netters or rohens because thats a guaranteed use and act out of all the books i stupidly bought prematurely this one i did not sell back (netters).

The only worthwhile books from M1 for me were atlases (Netter, histo, neuro) and high yield/BRS. If you can't figure something out based on your notes it can usually be found on the internet in about 2 minutes.

Do not pre-study even if you think you're rusty from being out of school for a bit. The breadth of stuff you're taught is large, while the depth is fairly minimal. Key stuff from undergrad that you'll need to know (acid/base type stuff) will more than likely be covered in a 1 slide refresher at the beginning of the lecture.

A few things I would make sure to know, though, are the Schrodinger equation (time dependent mostly, time independent isn't very high yield):
e29ddfcef18d182110adc56344a17967.png

, equation for elastic energy of an elastic rod:
images

and how to solve them. I know the people in my year who didn't know those cold before we started biochem are remediating over the summer.

Probably will be regretting it come exam time next semester when you are burnt out from studying. Studying your last summer vacation = EPIC FAIL!

Med school is a marathon. You need to take a breather before M2, when the hardcore studying kicks in with Step 2 looming at the end of the academic year.

Biochem...Lehringer
Pathology...Robbins

Agreed -- commit these to memory and you are golden. Better throw in Moore's and something for embryology and histo, or there will be big gaps in your knowledge, though. And unless you want to spend the next summer studying too, you may as well get started on the micro and pharm stuff.

Dude, in the time it took you to read this thread, you could have done a dozen USMLE World questions.

... seriously, you will have ample time to learn things when you have actual context in which to learn them. Nobody learns med school in a vacuum on their own during the summer before med school. And nobody is hosed because they took just the minimum prereqs. At most of the top med schools, some of the top students will be folks who were fine arts or religion majors who never cracked a science book until postbac.

I agree with the above posts that somehow every person who posts this kind of thread thinks they are some kind of exception to the rule who should be studying, and I also agree that most people who post this kind of thread are going to do some semblance of studying no matter what we tell them. It's pretty pointless, and the best thing you can do is have a nice summer and prepare yourself to hit the ground running. See tons of movies and read lots of books and hang out with friends because a lot of the time for those things goes by the wayside once classes start up. But to each his own.

I will be starting med school this upcoming August and was a psych major. I remember talking to a third year student (at the school I am going to) who is a non-science major. She said that while at the beginning it seems like you will work harder than those who were science majors, that it helps you form good study habits. So that whenever they started getting into material that no one has seen before, those who didn't have good study habits before began to struggle. Also she said that your undergrad major really has no effect on who got better pre-clinical grades.

But regardless of whether it helps or not, I am not planning on studying at all this summer. I want to enjoy the last full summer I'll probably ever get. I've heard so many med students tell me to enjoy it, and that's exactly what I plan on doing. :cool:

OveractiveBrain: I'm not a "gunner" but imo you sound like a gunner. It seems like those who are most worried about being "sabotoged" by gunners, are actually gunners themselves.

The only worthwhile books from M1 for me were atlases (Netter, histo, neuro) and high yield/BRS. If you can't figure something out based on your notes it can usually be found on the internet in about 2 minutes.

Do not pre-study even if you think you're rusty from being out of school for a bit. The breadth of stuff you're taught is large, while the depth is fairly minimal. Key stuff from undergrad that you'll need to know (acid/base type stuff) will more than likely be covered in a 1 slide refresher at the beginning of the lecture.

A few things I would make sure to know, though, are the Schrodinger equation (time dependent mostly, time independent isn't very high yield):

images

and how to solve them. I know the people in my year who didn't know those cold before we started biochem are remediating over the summer.

Also, make sure you understand the Navier-Stokes equations of fluid mechanics... in the spherical coordinate system. How else could you possibly understand how fluids move in the body without them?

999040aa3ab11350d34c73802b671987.png

9e8cf839eeccd4c4db7c6f8ddca5c194.png

58b3af4b8f50fb768f51252d1facda58.png

9afaaa038283b7f7bd4294304ea94ca4.png

b6a6a36e52e61ff5fa9893c98478e00f.png

f65ab138f15e63b5326d67550ea14a04.png

f9c235dbb891b66e663356f78e49fe30.png

In fact, if you truly understand these equations, the mathematical community will be so impressed that you'll win a million dollars via the millenium prize:

http://www.claymath.org/millennium/Navier-Stokes_Equations/

Waves follow our boat as we meander across the lake, and turbulent air currents follow our flight in a modern jet. Mathematicians and physicists believe that an explanation for and the prediction of both the breeze and the turbulence can be found through an understanding of solutions to the Navier-Stokes equations. Although these equations were written down in the 19th Century, our understanding of them remains minimal. The challenge is to make substantial progress toward a mathematical theory which will unlock the secrets hidden in the Navier-Stokes equations.

Also, make sure you understand the Navier-Stokes equations of fluid mechanics... in the spherical coordinate system. How else could you possibly understand how fluids move in the body without them?

In fact, if you truly understand these equations, the mathematical community will be so impressed that you'll win a million dollars via the millenium prize:

http://www.claymath.org/millennium/Navier-Stokes_Equations/

LOL I took Fluids in Undergrad.....FOr us it was "Fluid Mechanics in Porous Media" FU*kin Bad Ass Course...half of today's robotic rote memorization sparse critical thinking premeds would be able to pass this course LOL

images

Check.

Also, make sure you understand the Navier-Stokes equations of fluid mechanics... in the spherical coordinate system.

And Check.

Man, I'm going to rock this! ;)

That fifth term should be a minus. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I recall a recent thread that discussed this and the studies that had been done that supposedly proved its efficacy. I didn't see a list of video games in that study but I'm wondering if Rock Band would suffice...cause that's what I'm doin. Never got into COD or any other similar games.

There was a small study published that performance on Super Monkey Ball better predicted performance on laparoscopic sham surgery than actual surgical experience. You should play this :laugh:

What about taking a grad level anatomy course as a good school. I understand that you dont want to be burned out but how would taking a course like that not be beneficial?

What about taking a grad level anatomy course as a good school. I understand that you dont want to be burned out but how would taking a course like that not be beneficial?

Simple. Because not only is the volume of material covered in med school dramatically different than almost every other path, but the focus of "what's important" in med school is often very different from grad school, undergrad, etc. Sure it's important to know the names of the structures, etc., but that's the relatively easy part of med school. An anatomy course in med school is more about knowing what your professors think is important than what another grad school might consider of value. Thus someone can read a dozen anatomy texts and do far worse on a med school exam than someone who spent a fraction of the time simply going through the professor's lectures and course note-set. It's why textbooks aren't useful in med school. Also first year courses are very low yield in terms of later board exams as compared to second year stuff, so you wouldn't even be getting much value for that reason either.

Can I say it's "not beneficial" at all? No. You might learn a thing or two that can pick you up a point on a test in a year if you remember it, (which you likely won't). Can I tell you it's not a good use of your time? Yes. It's very low yield. Everything you might do before med school is. I can think of 1000 things that would be a better use of your time. Now, if a med school puts on a pre-med-school "head start" program at the end of the summer, put together by the actual professors (as some places do), such that it's geared toward teaching you what they want you to know in the way they want it presented, then that might be a slightly better use of your time. Slightly. But honestly, you will have the time to do it right once med school starts.

The issue in med school is rarely that you start out behind. The issue is that you don't keep up.