Studying Before School Starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avi79

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if any of you ever do this? I usually get the textbooks early and start reading the first couple chapters for each of my courses. I should probably mention that I email the prof ahead of time to find out what chapters we're starting with. I don't really do this too far in advance though; probably about 3 weeks before school starts.

I've done this a few times and it seems that I do the best when I read a few weeks before school actually starts. So my question is whether any of you guys ever study or read ahead in the summer or christmas break?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if any of you ever do this? I usually get the textbooks early and start reading the first couple chapters for each of my courses. I should probably mention that I email the prof ahead of time to find out what chapters we're starting with. I don't really do this too dar in advance though; probably about 3 weeks before school starts.

I've done this a few times and it seems that I seem to do the best when I read a few weeks before. So my question is whether any of you guys ever study or read ahead in the summer or christmas break?

Never did this. Also can't recall studying at all during the first ~2weeks of any semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would attempt it, but always failed. I knew people who took the classes at a cc before actually taking it, crazy to me.

I did a little for O Chem just because it was a good way to study for the MCAT. Did it end up helping my grade? Maybe a little. It was more of just something to give me something to do on long car rides and flights.

I did a little for O Chem just because it was a good way to study for the MCAT. Did it end up helping my grade? Maybe a little. It was more of just something to give me something to do on long car rides and flights.
my friend did that for organic, but she actually studied the material up to the first midterm. She says it definitely helped her grade though and she ended up with one of the highest grades in the class.

Reactions: 3 users
Not ashamed to say that I did this for most of my science classes (not a science major, so didn't take that many), which is basically why I was above many others who were struggling to get Bs at my grade-deflating school. For orgo freshman year I was actually done with the entire first semester by the time orientation started, and I'm really glad because the next A I got in a science class came a long time afterwards lololol. Wouldn't have stood a chance against all the sophomores in the course if I didn't read half the textbook and did most of the problems already.

Reactions: 1 users
I did this for some literature classes. I read the book we'd be discussing ahead of time, or toward the end of my UG career read the wiki article.

my friend did that for organic, but she actually studied the material up to the first midterm. She says it definitely helped her grade though and she ended up with one of the highest grades in the class.
I mean it can't hurt if you feel like doing it. I really like orgo so it was really just for fun and to keep my brain academically ready.

I did this for some literature classes. I read the book we'd be discussing ahead of time, or toward the end of my UG career read the wiki article.
That upwards work ethic :thumbup:

My best students read ahead prior to class.

goro suggests you start with any Anatomy text.

I'm just wondering if any of you ever do this? I usually get the textbooks early and start reading the first couple chapters for each of my courses. I should probably mention that I email the prof ahead of time to find out what chapters we're starting with. I don't really do this too far in advance though; probably about 3 weeks before school starts.

I've done this a few times and it seems that I do the best when I read a few weeks before school actually starts. So my question is whether any of you guys ever study or read ahead in the summer or christmas break?

Never did this. Also can't recall studying at all during the first ~2weeks of any semester.
And this is why I wish I didn't go to a quarter system based school lol. We have midterms during the 2nd-3rd week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try the Khan Academy. That's the one thing I wish I did before orgo. It took me until the second semester of the class to really figure out electron pushing. Had I used the Khan Academy beforehand, I would have done much better in the beginning.

Try the Khan Academy. That's the one thing I wish I did before orgo. It took me until the second semester of the class to really figure out electron pushing. Had I used the Khan Academy beforehand, I would have done much better in the beginning.
I heard he doesn't even know how to push electrons (from here, from somebody).

Did this for calculus since I hadn't taken it in high school and had the highest grade in my recitation and near the very top of the total class of 200 students. :)

YOU MUST THE READ THE ENTIRE TEXTBOOK BEFORE CLASSES START OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NERD.

No but seriously, I would suggest reading for the notoriously difficult classes that you're enrolled in, and take it a bit easier on the less difficult courses

Agree with Goro that the best strategy for many people is to pre-read the material prior to each lecture, then go to lecture, then review the material again after lecture. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the semester. That way you get three repetitions in even before you sit down to study for the exam. This system works well for many people in med school, too (only a lot of people substitute watching lectures online for physically attending them). But I wouldn't try to read the whole semester's material prior to classes starting.