Studying for 2nd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treebeard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a bit of advice or maybe suggested study strategies for organ system block classes. It's early on in my second year but I can tell that what I am doing is not working and I should make a change sooner rather than later.

My school has a fairly traditional curriculum - mostly basic sciences first year, ending with neuro as a kind of transition, then all organ systems in blocks second year.

I didn't find first year particularly challenging. I mostly studied by making Anki decks. I'd essentially pick a resource or two that I thought contained all of the info I needed to know, make Anki cards based on them, and memorize. This was straightforward and I did well on all exams.

However, this doesn't seem to really be a winning strategy for 2nd year (and I did far below my usual performance on my first midterm). It seems that, at least the cardiovascular block, is much more conceptual and the test questions are much more applied than first year.

Obviously certain things are just memorization, but what other strategies to people use to make sure they nail down the more conceptual content?

Members don't see this ad.

I’d also like an answer to this question. My 2nd year is just starting. My plan is to use these resources with systems in this order of priority:

1. Lectures
2. Zanki
3. USMLE-Rx QMAX
4. Sketchy

I have other resources as well but will only use them if I get through all of those for each block. I also have a good well-rounded schedule set up for school, exercise, social times, and dates with my wife.

Start with the pathophysiology and work outwards to symptomology and DDx's. For example, if someone has a headache, is it:
aneurysm
tumor
absess
malingering/psychiatric
stress
migraine
stroke/bleed
injury

Then flip things around. If there is something wrong is an anatomical location, say, the colon, what disease might you expect there? Compare that to the upper respiratory tract. What might arise there.

Also be able to make connections between organ systems. Deficits in Ca++ metabolism can show up in different places. If you have glycosuria, that can be a renal issue, and not merely diabetes.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Start with the pathophysiology and work outwards to symptomology and DDx's. For example, if someone has a headache, is it:
aneurysm
tumor
absess
malingering/psychiatric
stress
migraine
stroke/bleed
injury

Then flip things around. If there is something wrong is an anatomical location, say, the colon, what disease might you expect there? Compare that to the upper respiratory tract. What might arise there.

Also be able to make connections between organ systems. Deficits in Ca++ metabolism can show up in different places. If you have glycosuria, that can be a renal issue, and not merely diabetes.

It's definitely this synthesis that I need to practice. First year was alot of isolated fact regurgitation.

Reactions: 1 user
Use a whiteboard and draw out all the concepts. Aortic stenosis? Make those little up-down arrows at each ventricle and in the aorta itself, then explain why things turned out the way they did. Repeat for every pathology. Spend the other half of the day using flashcards.

1. Conceptualize--lectures, texts, etc. Get a foundational understanding of the disease processes. Understand the why. This step should be first and is CRUCIAL.

2. Memorize--there is no substitute for repetition in medical school. Firecracker or anki, pick one and stick with it, focusing on the stuff you are currently learning rather than the old stuff (you will be able to dig this up later if you learn it well the first time around).

3. Practice--Start Uworld and do every single question during the block you are in. Use the questions to learn, compare/contrast similar diseases, and expose weaknesses (ie in areas #1 and #2).

Do this to the best of your ability in every block. Go in with the goal of becoming and "expert" in that organ system. Learn it well now and you will do well on step1 and on the wards and thank yourself later.

Reactions: 4 users
1. Conceptualize--lectures, texts, etc. Get a foundational understanding of the disease processes. Understand the why. This step should be first and is CRUCIAL.

2. Memorize--there is no substitute for repetition in medical school. Firecracker or anki, pick one and stick with it, focusing on the stuff you are currently learning rather than the old stuff (you will be able to dig this up later if you learn it well the first time around).

3. Practice--Start Uworld and do every single question during the block you are in. Use the questions to learn, compare/contrast similar diseases, and expose weaknesses (ie in areas #1 and #2).

Do this to the best of your ability in every block. Go in with the goal of becoming and "expert" in that organ system. Learn it well now and you will do well on step1 and on the wards and thank yourself later.

Thanks. I also think I may have let the step 1 obsessed gunners get too in my head, and I started focusing too hard on boards stuff instead of actually learning the cardiology.

Thanks. I also think I may have let the step 1 obsessed gunners get too in my head, and I started focusing too hard on boards stuff instead of actually learning the cardiology.

The best thing you can do for step1 is to learn and understand things well. There are lots of things on that test you will never see in a review book because they want you to think critically and apply concepts rather then memorize FA.

I would still use Anki, but use a premade deck to save time.

I think the big change for me 2nd year was that you need to do ALOT more practice questions to synthesize the info. I didn't do practice questions 1st year. 2nd year you need a Qbank to do along with classes. I used Kaplan and then started UWorld in Jan. I'm sure there are other options though. Then update your Anki cards with little pearls you pick up from practice Qs.

Use outside resources for reading up on the physio and pathophys for organ blocks:

Costanzo is great for physiology and the chapters are relatively short and condensed. Goljan's Rapid Review and/or Pathoma are great pathology resources. I would go through RR as you go through your block and use Pathoma for review of high-yield concepts. Use First Aid as well to make sure you hammer home the most high yield concepts in that block.

To reinforce concepts, use a pre-made Anki deck. Bros works well I think but Zanki is also out there. Zanki I think is more integrated with other resources like Sketchy if that's how you learn. This way, you'll learn the high yield facts. Also do a few questions a day from Qbanks to reinforce the conceptual material. Your school might buy a subscription to one but Kaplan is good and has First Aid references. I've heard that Rx is also good but haven't tried it myself.

I do these things on top of watching lectures.

Use outside resources for reading up on the physio and pathophys for organ blocks:

Costanzo is great for physiology and the chapters are relatively short and condensed. Goljan's Rapid Review and/or Pathoma are great pathology resources. I would go through RR as you go through your block and use Pathoma for review of high-yield concepts. Use First Aid as well to make sure you hammer home the most high yield concepts in that block.

To reinforce concepts, use a pre-made Anki deck. Bros works well I think but Zanki is also out there. Zanki I think is more integrated with other resources like Sketchy if that's how you learn. This way, you'll learn the high yield facts. Also do a few questions a day from Qbanks to reinforce the conceptual material. Your school might buy a subscription to one but Kaplan is good and has First Aid references. I've heard that Rx is also good but haven't tried it myself.

I do these things on top of watching lectures.

My school bought us U World, but I've heard it's better to save that for dedicated time. I bought RX but haven't gotten into the Q bank too much yet (didn't really need it first year). Maybe I'll start giving that a try.

My school bought us U World, but I've heard it's better to save that for dedicated time. I bought RX but haven't gotten into the Q bank too much yet (didn't really need it first year). Maybe I'll start giving that a try.

Yeah I'm saving UWorld for dedicated too. Don't about it as not needing it. You might not need to do any question banks to do well in your med school exams. But think about it as studying for Step at the same time.

Yeah I'm saving UWorld for dedicated too. Don't about it as not needing it. You might not need to do any question banks to do well in your med school exams. But think about it as studying for Step at the same time.

2fezd0.jpg

I remember reading your posts on the MCAT and Pre-Med forums. Glad to see we have similar thoughts on saving UWorld.

Reactions: 4 users
I used Rx before dedicated and feel like it helped me in classes and prep. I scored a 250+ if it makes a difference.

I believe in saving UWorld for dedicated. I didn't think other qbanks were as good, so I'd use them during the year instead. I'd use them because I think practice Qs are a great way to prepare for tests.

Reactions: 1 users
I saved uworld for dedicated and did well. I used USMLE Rx during organ system blocks for m2. It definitely helped me.