Studying for anatomy, any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhotchiligochu

D3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all

I'm currently taking anatomy right now. Not sure b/c I've been out of school for 5 years, but is there any advice/shortcut regarding efficient memorization of the material? I'm currently studying around 16 hours/week for that one class and I'm eking out a B+/A- in the class so far, while I know classmates who study less than 5 hours/week and have a solid A. We just covered muscles and there's a crap-ton of stuff to memorize, lol

Flashcards? Draw out the entire axial/appendicular skeleton and label them? Anything helps, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all

I'm currently taking anatomy right now. Not sure b/c I've been out of school for 5 years, but is there any advice/shortcut regarding efficient memorization of the material? I'm currently studying around 16 hours/week for that one class and I'm eking out a B+/A- in the class so far, while I know classmates who study less than 5 hours/week and have a solid A. We just covered muscles and there's a crap-ton of stuff to memorize, lol

Flashcards? Draw out the entire axial/appendicular skeleton and label them? Anything helps, thanks!
Anki, online based flash cards, is the way to go for memorizing large volumes of information.

Reactions: 1 user
If it's only anatomy, then flashcards or quizlet is your best option. I personally liked making my flashcards (by hand) because it helped me memorize much easier. If it's physiology, then I just took notes over my professors PPT (which were already amazing) and watched youtube videos to fully see the pathways. If you need the PPT, I can definitely send them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mnemonics for long lists. Helped me tremendously when memorizing muscles, insertions, origins and functions. Also did them for a good chunk of hormones as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I used an anatomy coloring book and that really helped me remember the terms and location of the body parts I was learning.

Mnemonics for long lists. Helped me tremendously when memorizing muscles, insertions, origins and functions. Also did them for a good chunk of hormones as well.
Anki, online based flash cards, is the way to go for memorizing large volumes of information.

I personally use a combination of these two, works great

Reactions: 1 users
Some Say Money Matters But....
SO4LR6....

I used an anatomy coloring book and that really helped me remember the terms and location of the body parts I was learning.

+1 on this and/or the use of different colored highlighters when taking notes. I've always been a huge advocate of taking pen to paper (vs. filling in power points on laptops during lectures etc.) as much as possible, and to me it seemed even more helpful with retention in anatomy & physiology. Even if you're a lackluster artist like myself, I'd also say try to draw out as many pictures/diagrams as you can in your notes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile