studying for boards & old college materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdubz7w7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all -

I just finished my first tri and have piles of class notes, slides, and ten textbooks. Should I hold onto these for future classes, and/or studying for the boards, or can I toss them? Looking especially for insight from people who are studying for the boards or just took them. Did you refer back to them, or perhaps only particular subjects?
Thank you!
Katherine

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all -

I just finished my first tri and have piles of class notes, slides, and ten textbooks. Should I hold onto these for future classes, and/or studying for the boards, or can I toss them? Looking especially for insight from people who are studying for the boards or just took them. Did you refer back to them, or perhaps only particular subjects?
Thank you!
Katherine
I just took the boards and passed on my first attempt - referred back to 1 text book once! Honestly, the O'Sullivan review book gives a crazy amount of information. That being said, there are 4 or 5 textbooks that I would say absolutely hold on to. Other than that, I have hardly cracked mine!

Reactions: 1 user
I just took the boards and passed on my first attempt - referred back to 1 text book once! Honestly, the O'Sullivan review book gives a crazy amount of information. That being said, there are 4 or 5 textbooks that I would say absolutely hold on to. Other than that, I have hardly cracked mine!
Awesome, thank you so much for replying :)

You are probably paying like 10 bucks per page for the information that is contained in all those notes or slides, I wouldn't throw them out! I didn't reference class notes/slides studying for the NPTE, but I definitely referenced them during rotations and will continue to occasionally as a new grad. The information from your class notes is a lot more easily accessible source of a lot of information than textbooks and there will be plenty of times when you know you learned something when you are in the clinic but just need to refresh your memory. If you are keeping paper notes I would scan them all and keep them logically organized somewhere like google drive so you can easily reference on your phone, computer, tablet, etc. Then ditch the paper. Like I said, you are spending hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars assimilating this information, to me it seems like you would want to hang on to a copy. A big google drive folder just sits there and never gets in the way, whereas paper is tempting to toss because it is a pain to store. As for textbooks, I have only referenced them very occasionally but I personally like keeping them as a reference library.